Derek

Default Quick Change Tool Post, for Mini Lathe?

I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

Namely :-

and,

While I understand these are bare bones, budget type posts, I would
appreciate any input/feedback on these. Is there any real advantage
between the two considering the nonimal price difference. Bear in
mind, I have more fun shaving steel than producing an end product
and my teeth curl when I see my Kid using a cut-off tool for shaping
metal.

Thanks.
Keith Marshall

I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

I have 39083 or an earlier form of it. I'm not sure of the number but the
knob on mine was a round ball before it broke which IIRC happened the first
time I touched it. :-)

Aside from that, and the fact that all of the set screws were garbage so I
replaced them, I've been very happy with it.

However... it was made for 1/2" tooling and on my JET 9x20 1/2" tooling is
about 1/16" too high at the lowest position so I use mostly 3/8" tooling.
It works fine this way but you might be happier with the other set because
it's specifically made for the mini lathe and I assume would be a better
fit.

On the other hand, if you ever plan to upgrade to a larger lathe and want to
hang onto your QC setup the other might be better but instead of the Harbor
Freight version I'd buy the Phase II set that's nearly always on sale at
Enco.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMPA

If that link doesn't work, they're on page 28 of their current sale catalog
in the section titled turning tools. They usually also offer free shipping
for many orders but I can't remember if they're offering it this month and
don't have my catalog nearby to check.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Rex B

I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

On the other hand, if you ever plan to upgrade to a larger lathe and want to
hang onto your QC setup the other might be better but instead of the Harbor
Freight version I'd buy the Phase II set that's nearly always on sale at
Enco.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMPA

That Phase II 100 series is a nice deal, but I'm pretty sure it's too
big for a minilathe. A 9" is about the low end in my opinion.

Rex B

Derek wrote:
I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

Namely :-

and,

While I understand these are bare bones, budget type posts, I would
appreciate any input/feedback on these. Is there any real advantage
between the two considering the nonimal price difference. Bear in
mind, I have more fun shaving steel than producing an end product
and my teeth curl when I see my Kid using a cut-off tool for shaping
metal.

Thanks.

www.littlemachineshop.com has most everything for these little
critters, they'd certainly have some good recommendations for tool
posts. If you're not a already a member, there's also a 7x lathe group
over on Yahoo groups, that very topic has been kicked around a lot,
look in the archives.

Stan

Wayne

Just to confuse you more, there are more choices @
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ory=-419988835
Seems like they are some in the same price range.
There is a comparison link at the top, which shows the recommended sizes
for 7x10.

Picture of what model I'm not sure
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...ories.htm#qctp

Wayne D.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:03:45 -0700, Derek wrote:

I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

Namely :-

and,

While I understand these are bare bones, budget type posts, I would
appreciate any input/feedback on these. Is there any real advantage
between the two considering the nonimal price difference. Bear in
mind, I have more fun shaving steel than producing an end product
and my teeth curl when I see my Kid using a cut-off tool for shaping
metal.

Thanks.

Wild Bill

You might be better off by staying away from the HF 39083. I believe it's
too large for a mini lathe, maybe the smallest swing would be about 10", but
more suitable for a 12" lathe.

I have one of the 39083 sets, that was made in India that was very
frustrating to use. As someone mentioned, the screws are total crap and the
plastic handle grip broke almost immediately (different style, tapered
cylindrical shape).
Additionally, the handle is sometimes hard to move, the holders raise up
when they're locked in place, and the thread on the supplied center bolt was
crooked (don't know they managed to do that).

I haven't tried this set, but Phase II makes a micro-size QCTP they named
Micro Quick Change Tool System, their stock # 250-075
This link might be broken by it's length, but the micro specs can be found
by looking at their Products and Machine Tool Accessories, Quick Change
Tooling Micro 5-8" swing
http://www.phase2plus.com/details.as...ystem&id=2 30

WB

"Derek" wrote in message
I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

Namely :-

and,

While I understand these are bare bones, budget type posts, I would
appreciate any input/feedback on these. Is there any real advantage
between the two considering the nonimal price difference. Bear in
mind, I have more fun shaving steel than producing an end product
and my teeth curl when I see my Kid using a cut-off tool for shaping
metal.

Thanks.

jtaylor

"larry g" wrote in message
I can highly recommend Kent's work see his tool post at
http://www.kenbo.org/products.html

Um, that's quite a *wide* range of products...

Rex B

You can't go wrong with LMS. Chris Wood is a first-rate guy running a
great small business. All things being anywhere close to equal, I'd buy
there first.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Wayne wrote:
[...]

Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

He is always getting into something new - sewing has become an excuse
for him to buy more tools and make accessories, now that he has most
every welding/machining/blacksmithing tool one could want...

He hosts a thursday night open shop that sees a number of likeminded
lunatics in attendance.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:17:09 -0300, "jtaylor"
wrote:

"larry g" wrote in message
I can highly recommend Kent's work see his tool post at
http://www.kenbo.org/products.html

Um, that's quite a *wide* range of products...

Ben Jackson

On 2005-05-26, Rex B wrote:

That Phase II 100 series is a nice deal, but I'm pretty sure it's too
big for a minilathe. A 9" is about the low end in my opinion.

I have one, it's too big for a minilathe, make you a deal on it if you want
to prove me wrong.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Derek

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:03:45 -0700, Derek wrote:

I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

Namely :-

and,

While I understand these are bare bones, budget type posts, I would
appreciate any input/feedback on these. Is there any real advantage
between the two considering the nonimal price difference. Bear in
mind, I have more fun shaving steel than producing an end product
and my teeth curl when I see my Kid using a cut-off tool for shaping
metal.

Thanks.

Thanks to all for the input. I didn't mention that Harbor Freight is
convenient because I live in Canada (Windsor) close to the Detroit
Border, and HF is only a short drive away. When mail ordering,
somtimes we pay ridiculous "clearing" fees for stuff from the States.
I am hoping to avaid this.

Thanks.
Art

Derek,
Also take a look at this style of tool post.
http://www.broncosaurus.net/mert.html

They are cheap to make out of Al or CRS and work extremely well on my
7x12. I bought the TS Engineering tool post shortly after buying
that 7x12 lathe, but if I could do it again I wouldn't have spent
the $100 on it. I hardly ever use it. All my shop made tool holders
are more rigid and work way better than the TSE.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but a comment I thought
I'd offer up anyways. :-)

good luck with your purchase.