Art

Derek,
Also take a look at this style of tool post.
http://www.broncosaurus.net/mert.html

They are cheap to make out of Al or CRS and work extremely well on my
7x12. I bought the TS Engineering tool post shortly after buying
that 7x12 lathe, but if I could do it again I wouldn't have spent
the $100 on it. I hardly ever use it. All my shop made tool holders
are more rigid and work way better than the TSE.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but a comment I thought
I'd offer up anyways. :-)

good luck with your purchase.

On Sat, 28 May 2005 23:36:40 -0700, Derek wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 23:03:45 -0700, Derek wrote:

I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

Namely :-

and,

While I understand these are bare bones, budget type posts, I would
appreciate any input/feedback on these. Is there any real advantage
between the two considering the nonimal price difference. Bear in
mind, I have more fun shaving steel than producing an end product
and my teeth curl when I see my Kid using a cut-off tool for shaping
metal.

Thanks.

Thanks to all for the input. I didn't mention that Harbor Freight is
convenient because I live in Canada (Windsor) close to the Detroit
Border, and HF is only a short drive away. When mail ordering,
somtimes we pay ridiculous "clearing" fees for stuff from the States.
I am hoping to avaid this.

Thanks.