Keith Marshall

I have a small 7" x 10" mini lathe for hobby stuff etc.
I'm looking at buying a quick change tool post from Harbor Freight,
there are 2 that seem to fit the bill according to my budget.

I have 39083 or an earlier form of it. I'm not sure of the number but the
knob on mine was a round ball before it broke which IIRC happened the first
time I touched it. :-)

Aside from that, and the fact that all of the set screws were garbage so I
replaced them, I've been very happy with it.

However... it was made for 1/2" tooling and on my JET 9x20 1/2" tooling is
about 1/16" too high at the lowest position so I use mostly 3/8" tooling.
It works fine this way but you might be happier with the other set because
it's specifically made for the mini lathe and I assume would be a better
fit.

On the other hand, if you ever plan to upgrade to a larger lathe and want to
hang onto your QC setup the other might be better but instead of the Harbor
Freight version I'd buy the Phase II set that's nearly always on sale at
Enco.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...&PARTPG=INLMPA

If that link doesn't work, they're on page 28 of their current sale catalog
in the section titled turning tools. They usually also offer free shipping
for many orders but I can't remember if they're offering it this month and
don't have my catalog nearby to check.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"