Anthony

Default Lets all remember to be safety minded.

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get ugly in
a hurry.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
DeepDiver

"Anthony" wrote in message

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get ugly
in
a hurry.

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

Cydrome Leader

In rec.crafts.metalworking DeepDiver wrote:
"Anthony" wrote in message

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get ugly
in
a hurry.

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

more registration that it takes to open a bank account.
Tom Accuosti

"Anthony" wrote in message

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get
ugly in
a hurry.

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

more registration that it takes to open a bank account.

Oh for cryin' out loud - Anthony, just post the friggin' article next time,
I dont' have enough time to fill in all the questions ;-)

moT

Hans van Dongen

DeepDiver wrote:
"Anthony" wrote in message

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get ugly
in
a hurry.

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

http://www.bugmenot.com/

Hans

--

This is a non-profit organization;
we didn't plan it that way, but it is

=====================================

(remove uppercase trap, and double the number to reply)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 May 2005 11:16:50 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable Cydrome
Leader spake:

"Anthony" wrote in message

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get ugly
in
a hurry.

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

more registration that it takes to open a bank account.

And it requires a valid email address to confirm. Pass.

-
The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
JohnM

Anthony wrote:
Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Bugmenot.com rocks.. They keep all sorts of usernames/passwords for such
situations.

Here's the article-

A West Knox County man died in a fire Sunday afternoon in his garage,
authorities said.

The man, identified by neighbors as James Howe of 300 Essex Drive, had
just bought a five-gallon can of gasoline and was working on a pickup
truck in his basement garage in the Seven Oaks subdivision when the fire
broke out.

"His garage was all full of equipment," said Herschel Shirley, who lives
directly across the street from the house shared by Howe and his wife,
Clara Howe. "He was very mechanically minded, and he had to be working
on something all the time."

Howe, who was in his early 80s, had just returned from a trip to buy
gasoline for his lawnmower but had also been trying to fix "a power
problem in his truck," Shirley said.

Shirley said he was sitting outside reading a newspaper when smoke began
boiling out of the basement garage just after 6 p.m.

"I heard Mrs. Howe hollering. She had a water hose in her hand and was
trying to get into the garage," Shirley said. "I told my wife to call
emergency services."

As James Howe cried for help, Shirley and the victim's wife tried
repeatedly to make their way into the garage to pull him to safety.

"I tried to get in there, but the smoke and flames were so much," he
said. "I couldn't see an inch in front of my eyes."

Shirley's wife, Elizabeth Shirley, said she called 911 as he started
going through the neighborhood in search of help.

Rural/Metro firefighters received the call at 6:12 p.m. and reached the
scene seven minutes later, according to Capt. Jeff Devlin. Seven fire
trucks, two ambulances and several Knox County Sheriff's Office deputies
eventually responded, he said.

By the time firefighters arrived, he said, they were too late to save Howe.

"It's frustrating to us," Devlin said.

No one else was injured, he said.

The two-story brick house suffered extensive damage. The basement garage
was gutted by the blaze, and two vehicles that had been parked inside
were destroyed. Upstairs, windows had been knocked out, and there were
clear signs of fire and smoke damage to the home's interior.

The Sheriff's Office and the Knox County Fire Bureau were investigating
the blaze, Devlin said.

While officials hadn't determined what caused the fire, Devlin said
people should always keep safety foremost in their minds when working
around flammable liquids.

"A fire can double in size every minute in some circumstances, and there
were about seven minutes between the call and the arrival of the first
unit," he said. "It's so critical to call 911 immediately."

As firefighters began sifting through the rubble and deputies secured
the scene with tape, Shirley stood in his front yard and mourned the
loss of his neighbor.

"It's a horrible thing to happen, a horrible thing to happen to his
wife," Shirley said. "She's such a nice lady. It's tragic for the whole
neighborhood."

Rex B

Just use bugmenot.com
I only hope it notifies the webmaster that their registration
requirement has ticked someone off.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Mon, 23 May 2005 11:16:50 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable Cydrome
Leader spake:

In rec.crafts.metalworking DeepDiver wrote:

"Anthony" wrote in message
8.18...

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.

html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get

ugly

in
a hurry.

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

more registration that it takes to open a bank account.

And it requires a valid email address to confirm. Pass.

Yep!

Harold

Leo Lichtman

From the newsstory: (clip) Howe, who was in his early 80s, had just
returned from a trip to buy gasoline for his lawnmower but had also been
trying to fix "a power problem in his truck," Shirley said.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gasoline is one of the most dangerous materials we use, because of its high
vapor pressure, high energy and wide ignition limits. We all know this.
Howe surely knew it too. A moment's inattention cost him his life.

I make it part of my religion NEVER to pour gasoline except in the breezy
outdoors.

DeepDiver

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
news

From the newsstory: (clip) Howe, who was in his early 80s, had just
returned from a trip to buy gasoline for his lawnmower but had also been
trying to fix "a power problem in his truck," Shirley said.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gasoline is one of the most dangerous materials we use, because of its
high vapor pressure, high energy and wide ignition limits.

My guess is that he was trying to pour gasoline down the throat of his
carburetor or throttle body in his truck to try to diagnose whether the
power problem was fuel system related. A very dangerous practice that was
all too common many years ago.

We all know this. Howe surely knew it too.
A moment's inattention cost him his life.

I would say we all SHOULD know this. I still cringe and smack my forehead
whenever I read advice from machinists suggesting the use of gasoline as a
cleaning/degreasing solvent. A flaming accident waiting to happen!

- Michael

Anthony

"Tom Accuosti" wrote in
ink.net:

Oh for cryin' out loud - Anthony, just post the friggin' article next
time, I dont' have enough time to fill in all the questions ;-)

Oops...my bad....I forgot all about the registration.....

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Anthony

"DeepDiver" wrote in
news

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

I forgot about that registration deal...

Here is the article.

Fire in garage fatal to West Knox man

House damaged, vehicles destroyed

By J.J. STAMBAUGH,
May 23, 2005

[...]

J.J. Stambaugh may be reached at 865-342-6307.

Get Copyright Clearance Copyright 2005, Knoxville News-Sentinel Co.
Click for permission to reprint

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:10:59 GMT, Anthony wrote:
"DeepDiver" wrote in
news

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

I forgot about that registration deal...

Joe Blow, with a password of blowme, is subscribed to many sites. If
he's not, please subscribe him.

SteveB

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
news
"Anthony" wrote in message

Reading the paper this morning, came across this front-page item:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_ne...347_3798434,00.
html

Lets all remember to be safe in what we do everyday. Things can get ugly
in
a hurry.

Unfortunately, registration is required to read this news article.

I didn't mind the filling out the article. I did think the blood sample and
gloved finger test thing was a bit much.................

Steve

SteveB

"Larry Jaques" wrote
And it requires a valid email address to confirm. Pass.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder what they could want that for .......................

Steve

Sunworshipper

On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:47:50 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
news

From the newsstory: (clip) Howe, who was in his early 80s, had just
[...]

Gas is bad , very bad, especially high octane.

Even a shot glass is enough to do alot of damage.

Couple of days ago they let a guy handcuffed in the front get away at
the Hospital for covering his wife and one kid with some extremely
flammable matter and gonna set them on fire. Still haven't found him.
Should put a picture of the cop and the criminal on the paper and we
can choose.........................................

Not long ago, I heard that a long time friend snapped and got (hear
say) 76 years for something I never thought he was capable of.
Boris Mohar

On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:08:49 -0500, Rex B wrote:

Just use bugmenot.com
I only hope it notifies the webmaster that their registration
requirement has ticked someone off.

The is really clever.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:36:11 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
And it requires a valid email address to confirm. Pass.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder what they could want that for .......................

Compressed luncheon meats, of course.

-
The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
wws

Sunworshipper wrote:

snip

Gas is bad , very bad, especially high octane.

Even a shot glass is enough to do alot of damage.

Couple of days ago they let a guy handcuffed in the front get away at
the Hospital for covering his wife and one kid with some extremely
flammable matter and gonna set them on fire. Still haven't found him.
Should put a picture of the cop and the criminal on the paper and we
can choose.........................................

snip

Talk about curling hairs.
Way back when my father used to swab out the garage with gasoline with
my mother hollering: DON'T!
To prove her fears unwarranted he would flick his lit cigarette into the
puddle, and that put the cigarette out.

The house is still standing.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
snip

I would say we all SHOULD know this. I still cringe and smack my forehead
whenever I read advice from machinists suggesting the use of gasoline as a
cleaning/degreasing solvent. A flaming accident waiting to happen!

- Michael

Yep! I harp against the use of gasoline for cleaning *anything*,
*anywhere,*constantly, yet there are those that continue to defend the
practice as if I'm the fool. It's not worth the considerable risk when one
can purchase paint thinner (mineral spirits, or Stoddard solvent and
virtually eliminate the threat. Yeah, they burn, but slowly, and are far
more difficult to ignite.

Go figure!

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"wws" wrote in message ...
Sunworshipper wrote:

snip

Gas is bad , very bad, especially high octane.

Even a shot glass is enough to do alot of damage.

Couple of days ago they let a guy handcuffed in the front get away at
the Hospital for covering his wife and one kid with some extremely
flammable matter and gonna set them on fire. Still haven't found him.
Should put a picture of the cop and the criminal on the paper and we
can choose.........................................

snip

Talk about curling hairs.
Way back when my father used to swab out the garage with gasoline with
my mother hollering: DON'T!
To prove her fears unwarranted he would flick his lit cigarette into the
puddle, and that put the cigarette out.

The house is still standing.

Try that with a gas water heater nearby. We'll read about it in the papers.
Don't be lulled into complacency because of one incident. Many have played
Russian roulette and survived to. Then there's the rest of them.

It's a fact that gasoline itself does not burn. I've seen an electric arc
in a container of gasoline performed. It's not the gasoline that concerns
me, it's the mixture of gasoline fumes and oxygen that do. The ignition
range is wide enough that anyone that risks the use is nothing more than a
moron.

Harold

Harold

wws

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"wws" wrote in message ...

Sunworshipper wrote:

snip

[...]

He had the doublewide garage door open. ?
And a slight breeze.
Still, I aped him only once.
Just to be a man. Or an ape.
SteveB

I've seen an electric arc
in a container of gasoline performed. It's not the gasoline that
concerns
me, it's the mixture of gasoline fumes and oxygen that do. The ignition
range is wide enough that anyone that risks the use is nothing more than a
moron.

Harold

I'M A MORON. I'M A MORON.

One Fourth of July, we used a couple of teaspoons of gas, a 55 gallon
barrel, a spark plug, and some pure oxygen to make a LOUD noisemaker.

We drew all of the local police department, and most of the fire department.
We lived outside the main part of town, and up on a hillside. We had some
time, and had it all cleaned up before they got there. All that was left
were a few broken windows.

And all we could say when they asked us if we had seen anything suspicious
was, "HUH?"

It was awesome.

Steve

Jim Stewart

SteveB wrote:

[...]

And for how many days after did you have to say "HUH"?

It was awesome.

No doubt.

Steve

PrecisionMachinisT

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
snip

I would say we all SHOULD know this. I still cringe and smack my

forehead
whenever I read advice from machinists suggesting the use of gasoline as

cleaning/degreasing solvent. A flaming accident waiting to happen!

- Michael

Yep! I harp against the use of gasoline for cleaning *anything*,
*anywhere,*constantly, yet there are those that continue to defend the
practice as if I'm the fool. It's not worth the considerable risk when

one
can purchase paint thinner (mineral spirits, or Stoddard solvent and
virtually eliminate the threat. Yeah, they burn, but slowly, and are

far
more difficult to ignite.

Go figure!

To change the subject just a bit...

My son got a bad batch of gas last summer...so bad the car wouldn't start at
all.

Much troubleshooting went on before we finally figured the problem and
pumped the tank.......

Whatever it was, the stuff wouldn't light up even if you poured it on the
ground and threw a match at it....(though if you soaked some paper in it and
set it afire it was obvious there was definately some kind of hydrocarbons
present).

Nearly 5 gallons of it, and my being leery of putting it into my diesel
tractor's tank, the only thing I've found it useful for so far has been as a
cleaning solvent.

--

SVL

Gunner

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:46:54 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
snip

[...]

There was a scam some time ago, where paint thinnner was used to
"water down" gasoline shipments. This was also done in Austrailia not
long ago. Paint thinner is far cheaper than gasoline.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm...

Spose it might burn well in place of diesel in my tractor then ???

SVL

Harold and Susan Vordos

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Cool! And it proves the point all too well.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
snip-----
Hmmm...

Spose it might burn well in place of diesel in my tractor then ???

Mixed in small volumes, it likely would work fine. Remember that #1 is
usually not recommended in the typical engine unless it's quite cold
outside, and gasoline can destroy them, so it may not be worth the risk.
At any rate, if it's hard to ignite, but cleans parts well, I think I'd go
with that and minimize my losses.

Harold

Brian Lawson

Hey Harold,

Something you said here reminded me of an incident long ago. Do you
recall those shop, or truck, or just-about-anywhere,
wall-bracket-mounted "pump" carbon tet extinguishers, hold about a
quart or so? One shop brain-surgeon filled a few of his with gasoline
to use as a pressure washer to squirt on little carburetors and such!!
He did take the time and care to dip them in red paint so they would
be easy to spot and recognizable to him. Not recognizable as in
"dangerous", but so he wouldn't mistakenly use one still filled with
that very expensive-hard-to-procure carbon tet to do the cleaning!!!

Take care. REALLY....take care!!

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:02:37 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
snip

I would say we all SHOULD know this. I still cringe and smack my forehead
whenever I read advice from machinists suggesting the use of gasoline as a
cleaning/degreasing solvent. A flaming accident waiting to happen!

- Michael

Yep! I harp against the use of gasoline for cleaning *anything*,
*anywhere,*constantly, yet there are those that continue to defend the
practice as if I'm the fool. It's not worth the considerable risk when one
can purchase paint thinner (mineral spirits, or Stoddard solvent and
virtually eliminate the threat. Yeah, they burn, but slowly, and are far
more difficult to ignite.

Go figure!

Harold

SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

What was that point?

Steve

Lane

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
news:UN- - Michael
My son got a bad batch of gas last summer...so bad the car wouldn't start
at
all.

Much troubleshooting went on before we finally figured the problem and
pumped the tank.......

Whatever it was, the stuff wouldn't light up even if you poured it on the
ground and threw a match at it....(though if you soaked some paper in it
and
set it afire it was obvious there was definately some kind of hydrocarbons
present).

Nearly 5 gallons of it, and my being leery of putting it into my diesel
tractor's tank, the only thing I've found it useful for so far has been as
cleaning solvent.

--

SVL

Sounds familiar. Seatte/Puget Sound area recently has had bad gasoline
causing all kinds of expensive problems for drivers. Luckily I don't buy
from Union 76 stations.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...badgas24m.html

Lane

PrecisionMachinisT

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

[...]

This was bit to the south--in the Longview / Kelso area.

Sadly if you run the tank near dry and then re-fill it completely your at
risk of breakdown if you should happen upon a bad batch.

--

SVL

Artemia Salina

On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:43:26 -0500, wws wrote:

Talk about curling hairs.
Way back when my father used to swab out the garage with gasoline with
my mother hollering: DON'T!
To prove her fears unwarranted he would flick his lit cigarette into the
puddle, and that put the cigarette out.

The house is still standing.

http://www.archive.org/details/more_..._then_dynamite

Line shafting, live steam fire extinguishers, asbestos blankets,
and a woman washing clothes in gasoline in her kitchen. Just some
of the things you'll see in the 1930's safety film, "More Dangerous
Then Dynamite" at archive.org.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"SteveB" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

The power of a couple teaspoons of gasoline and oxygen, and the ease of
igniting same.

Harold

Jon Elson

Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Harold,

Something you said here reminded me of an incident long ago. Do you
recall those shop, or truck, or just-about-anywhere,
wall-bracket-mounted "pump" carbon tet extinguishers, hold about a
quart or so? One shop brain-surgeon filled a few of his with gasoline
to use as a pressure washer to squirt on little carburetors and such!!
He did take the time and care to dip them in red paint so they would
be easy to spot and recognizable to him. Not recognizable as in
"dangerous", but so he wouldn't mistakenly use one still filled with
that very expensive-hard-to-procure carbon tet to do the cleaning!!!

Take care. REALLY....take care!!

Yeah, really! Carbon tet apparently worked well as an extinguishing agent.
The problem was that it produced Phosgene gas, and it only took the faintest
whiff to be fatal. You felt fine after getting the whiff of Phosgene,
but died
very suddenly half an hour or so later.

Jon

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Tue,
24 May 2005 07:32:48 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

[...]

The reports are coming out that Conoco made a mistake, produced and
distributed a bad batch of gasoline. This is in the Ferndale Washington
"area". I think they got some kind of long chain polymer in the mix which
causes gumming up of filters and lines.

Conoco is doing the right thing and trying to a) get the bad gas out of
the system, and b) making whole the folks who got their vehicles gunked up.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.