Harold and Susan Vordos

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey Harold,

Something you said here reminded me of an incident long ago. Do you
recall those shop, or truck, or just-about-anywhere,
wall-bracket-mounted "pump" carbon tet extinguishers, hold about a
quart or so? One shop brain-surgeon filled a few of his with gasoline
to use as a pressure washer to squirt on little carburetors and such!!
He did take the time and care to dip them in red paint so they would
be easy to spot and recognizable to him. Not recognizable as in
"dangerous", but so he wouldn't mistakenly use one still filled with
that very expensive-hard-to-procure carbon tet to do the cleaning!!!

Take care. REALLY....take care!!

Yeah, really! Carbon tet apparently worked well as an extinguishing

agent.
The problem was that it produced Phosgene gas, and it only took the

faintest
whiff to be fatal. You felt fine after getting the whiff of Phosgene,
but died
very suddenly half an hour or so later.

Jon

Heh! I can't imagine either scenario would be any too good for the user.
Think about the poor soul that might not understand that the red fire
extinguisher contains gasoline, not carbon tet. I agree.
REALLY....... take care. Dead is dead, doesn't matter if it comes from
fire, or phosgene.

Harold

JohnM

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Heh! I can't imagine either scenario would be any too good for the user.
Think about the poor soul that might not understand that the red fire
extinguisher contains gasoline, not carbon tet. I agree.
REALLY....... take care. Dead is dead, doesn't matter if it comes from
fire, or phosgene.

Harold

Given a choice, I think I'd try the phosgene.. I've been on fire and
that's really sucky.

John
Harold and Susan Vordos

"JohnM" wrote in message
m...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Heh! I can't imagine either scenario would be any too good for the

user.
Think about the poor soul that might not understand that the red fire
extinguisher contains gasoline, not carbon tet. I agree.
REALLY....... take care. Dead is dead, doesn't matter if it comes from
fire, or phosgene.

Harold

Given a choice, I think I'd try the phosgene.. I've been on fire and
that's really sucky.

John

Ouch! I can only imagine, but it sure as hell doesn't sound like much fun.

A friend had a shop fire, triggered when he welded on some gurneys that had
been used in a paint shop until they were well covered. He had a large
defense job in his shop at the time, which he quickly hauled outside.
Sadly, he was exposed to the fire for way too long. He ended up in the
hospital for several days, and had to wear special wrappings on both arms
for months. He came out of it fairly well, but it was far from a pleasant
experience. I've been fortunate to have never experienced anything beyond
a flash across the elbow with an oxy/acet torch. That was bad enough.

Hope you're doing OK now.

Harold