pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Gunner wrote back on Tue,
24 May 2005 07:32:48 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

To change the subject just a bit...

My son got a bad batch of gas last summer...so bad the car wouldn't start at
all.

Much troubleshooting went on before we finally figured the problem and
pumped the tank.......

Whatever it was, the stuff wouldn't light up even if you poured it on the
ground and threw a match at it....(though if you soaked some paper in it and
set it afire it was obvious there was definately some kind of hydrocarbons
present).

Nearly 5 gallons of it, and my being leery of putting it into my diesel
tractor's tank, the only thing I've found it useful for so far has been as a
cleaning solvent.

There was a scam some time ago, where paint thinnner was used to
"water down" gasoline shipments. This was also done in Austrailia not
long ago. Paint thinner is far cheaper than gasoline.

Gunner

The reports are coming out that Conoco made a mistake, produced and
distributed a bad batch of gasoline. This is in the Ferndale Washington
"area". I think they got some kind of long chain polymer in the mix which
causes gumming up of filters and lines.

Conoco is doing the right thing and trying to a) get the bad gas out of
the system, and b) making whole the folks who got their vehicles gunked up.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.