PrecisionMachinisT

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
snip

I would say we all SHOULD know this. I still cringe and smack my

forehead
whenever I read advice from machinists suggesting the use of gasoline as

cleaning/degreasing solvent. A flaming accident waiting to happen!

- Michael

Yep! I harp against the use of gasoline for cleaning *anything*,
*anywhere,*constantly, yet there are those that continue to defend the
practice as if I'm the fool. It's not worth the considerable risk when

one
can purchase paint thinner (mineral spirits, or Stoddard solvent and
virtually eliminate the threat. Yeah, they burn, but slowly, and are

far
more difficult to ignite.

Go figure!

To change the subject just a bit...

My son got a bad batch of gas last summer...so bad the car wouldn't start at
all.

Much troubleshooting went on before we finally figured the problem and
pumped the tank.......

Whatever it was, the stuff wouldn't light up even if you poured it on the
ground and threw a match at it....(though if you soaked some paper in it and
set it afire it was obvious there was definately some kind of hydrocarbons
present).

Nearly 5 gallons of it, and my being leery of putting it into my diesel
tractor's tank, the only thing I've found it useful for so far has been as a
cleaning solvent.

--

SVL