Robert Swinney

Default Lawnmower miseries

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

Jerry Foster

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy.

It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with

foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So

far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one

way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

No suggestions, but a bit of sympathy...

My mother had a Lawn Boy that was impossible to start after it had sat for a
while. I rigged an adapter that allowed me to spin it up with an electric
drill. Sometimes it would take two or three "drill starts" before it would
settle down and run. But, after that, it would usually start and run right.
I suspect the reed valves were a little sticky, but I never took it apart...

Jerry

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Jerry Foster wrote:

[...]

Maybe you hit something and it finally bent the shaft or the keyway bar.
That is what was the common issue - timing goes and goes then gone.
Might be the final straw last season.

Maybe the cleaner ate some float inside or something also. :-(

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

EZ way to start hard starters is to stick an unlit propane torch in the
carb and start it on propane.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Wayne Cook

On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:24:43 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Several possibilities but the air cleaner is suspect in this case.
Another suspect is the float and/or needle and seat in the carb not
shutting off properly and allowing the flooding. At least that's where
I would start looking.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

Randy Replogle

wrote:

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

If the primer "button" has cracks or leaks in some way you may not be
priming the engine. I have to replace mine about every year.

Right now mine doesn't appear to have spark. It ran fine last week
'till I was finished and now won't start. A new plug didn't help.
Randy
Eric R Snow

wrote:

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

Greetings Bob,
Does it have a Tecumseh engine? If so, first take off the air cleaner
and try to start it. If it doesn't, and seems to be flooded, it may be
the rubber diaphragm in the bottom of the carb. There may be a small
hole in the center of the plate in the bottom of the carb. If there
is, gently poke a toothpick or similar into this hole and push against
the diaphragm. This will work the inlet needle seat, which acts like a
float valve in a float bowl carb. Sometimes a little dirt gets in
there and makes the engine flood. Be sure to work the diaphragm gently
or you can ruin parts and be forced to buy a rebuild kit.
ERS
~Roy~

Lawn boys were they not originally designed and made by parent company
OMC........no wonder it won't run....OMC says it all.

Lane

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy.
It is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with
a foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So
far, I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem
one way or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air
cleaner that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

Just my 2 cents worth, but in my opinion (based on lots of mechanical and
engine experience) 2 stroke Lawn Boys aren't worthy of my hard earned money.
Get rid of it and buy a decent lawnmower if you can, like a Honda.

Lane

JohnM

Lane wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth, but in my opinion (based on lots of mechanical and
engine experience) 2 stroke Lawn Boys aren't worthy of my hard earned money.
Get rid of it and buy a decent lawnmower if you can, like a Honda.

Lane

My experience with Lawn Boys is that they are Good Stuff. If you gotta
push a lawnmower, a two-stroke with a mag. deck is ideal.

I got one of those hovercraft push mowers out in the barn, someday I'm
going to get it running. I think it's got the Tecumseh two-stroke, only
engine they made that I liked.

John

Gary Brady

Robert Swinney wrote:
Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

My Lawnboy is very sensitive to a clogged air filter. I have to clean
it almost every time I use it. It may be that the other filter media
you're using is more restrictive than the original filter. Check that
first, since its easy.

I personally think that some sort of aftermarket filter with a paper
element located up above the engine would be a good modification, but
the carburetor is plastic and hard to attached a snorkle to it.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Jim Stewart

JohnM wrote:

Lane wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth, but in my opinion (based on lots of mechanical
and engine experience) 2 stroke Lawn Boys aren't worthy of my hard
earned money. Get rid of it and buy a decent lawnmower if you can,
like a Honda.

Lane

My experience with Lawn Boys is that they are Good Stuff. If you gotta
push a lawnmower, a two-stroke with a mag. deck is ideal.

I like my punishment over time rather than up front.
I'll take a 4-stroke,

I got one of those hovercraft push mowers out in the barn, someday I'm
going to get it running. I think it's got the Tecumseh two-stroke, only
engine they made that I liked.

The infamous 'Fly-Mo' ?

John

Randy Zimmerman

I lost count of how many Lawn Boys I have resurrected by cleaning out the
exhaust. The exhaust ports often coke up. Turn the unit upside down and
open up the muffler/exhaust chamber underneath and scrap out the ports. I
do the scraping while the mower is up on a bench so that any scraping has
the carbon falling out rather than into the cylinder.
Randy

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy.
It is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with
a foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So
far, I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem
one way or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air
cleaner that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

JohnM

Jim Stewart wrote:
JohnM wrote:

Lane wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth, but in my opinion (based on lots of mechanical
and engine experience) 2 stroke Lawn Boys aren't worthy of my hard
earned money. Get rid of it and buy a decent lawnmower if you can,
like a Honda.

Lane

My experience with Lawn Boys is that they are Good Stuff. If you gotta
push a lawnmower, a two-stroke with a mag. deck is ideal.

I like my punishment over time rather than up front.
I'll take a 4-stroke,

Everyone likes different stuff.. I've always liked two-stroke engines,
to me the advantages generally outweigh the drawbacks. Any tool has to
suit the guy using it or he's not gonna be happy.

I got one of those hovercraft push mowers out in the barn, someday I'm
going to get it running. I think it's got the Tecumseh two-stroke,
only engine they made that I liked.

The infamous 'Fly-Mo' ?

That sounds right. As Gene points out, I don't think it's something to
use without proper protective gear, but no lawn mower is..

John

Ken Sterling

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

Bob Swinney

Along with Randy's suggestion to clean out the exhaust ports..Also the
muffler bolted underneath gets "plugged up" and drilling a few 1/4"
holes in it will let it breathe - therefore start much better. HTH
Ken.

Gunner

On Thu, 19 May 2005 18:18:13 -0400, JohnM wrote:

Lane wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth, but in my opinion (based on lots of mechanical and
engine experience) 2 stroke Lawn Boys aren't worthy of my hard earned money.
Get rid of it and buy a decent lawnmower if you can, like a Honda.

Lane

My experience with Lawn Boys is that they are Good Stuff. If you gotta
push a lawnmower, a two-stroke with a mag. deck is ideal.

I got one of those hovercraft push mowers out in the barn, someday I'm
going to get it running. I think it's got the Tecumseh two-stroke, only
engine they made that I liked.

John

Anyone going through my area, Id be happy to give ya a John Deer
electric start, self propelled lawn mower. Nicad battery pack is bad.
Runs fine when jump started off the pickup truck. Includes the bag and
whatnot.

Anyone need a 8hp Chrysler outboard motor? Recoil starter needs
repair. Runs good, with a couple extra tanks.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

On Thu, 19 May 2005 23:55:31 -0400, JohnM wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
JohnM wrote:

Lane wrote:

[...]

2 strokes are good foe side-hills. Good ones last well - cheap ones
are like anything cheap. I've had good luck with old Jacobsens and
lawn-boys - but not such good luch with newer lawn-boys. I prefer 4
strokes - particularly OHV engines - they don't stink nearly as bad,
and the OHCs use less fuel.
~Roy~

I have to give the Victa brand of mowers a thumbs up. I picked one up
when I was on a TDY deployment to Austrailia, a few years back and it
has yet to miss a beat. Cranks up one or two pulls all the itme,
aluminum alloy frame, ball bearings which are sealed on the wheels, 2
stroke cast iron block 160 cc engine....which also has a snorkel type
air filter / intake system. Its airfilter is actually mounted up in
the handlebar out of the usual dusty area most mowers filters are
mounted........It has a unique cutting system as well. It has swing
style blades which works very good. The blades are mounted on a disk,
and you can get them with 2 or 4 swing type blades. I have the 4
blade type......Probably have it 5 years now and its used hard and put
up wet, and has run nothing but 50:1 ratio fuel mix....easy pt push
and very lightweight..Only hangup is its size its only a 19 incher,
but I only use it to get into places I can't get with my L & G
tractor. Puts a lawnboy to shame when you compare them side by side
and it did not cost any more either. The one I have is the Master
series

In , on 05/19/05
at 11:57 PM, Gene Kearns said:

Only the brits would be stupid enough to still use this thing!
http://www.classic-lawns.co.uk/clien...xl500_plus.htm

Short pants + Fly Mo + bare patch of ground in the lawn = sand eroded
shins and feet = bizarre dancing fetish = really stupid engineering
idea...... please go back to the drawing board.....

OK wise guy, tell us how you cut a 45degree ( or even 60 degree) slope
with any other mower? With a Flymo you simply stand at the top & swing a
rope attached to the machine back & forth - piece of ****!

Having said all that I did end up sledgehammering mine into small pieces -
took some doing too! It was an absolute ******* to start ( even with the
electric drill trick) & after warning it for 20 years, it had to be taght
a lessonGG

Carl Byrns

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

[...]

Gee, then how come they are number one in customer loyalty- more repeat
buyers than any other brand?

We sell Lawn-Boy consumer mowers to landscapers who beat the **** out of
them (throw-and I mean throw- them off the trailer 6 to 10 times a day, run
them 6 hours a day, every day, leave them out in the rain, you name it...)
and they only last about twelve years or so.
Try that with a Honda.

-Carl

Carl Byrns

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:46:59 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

I got one of those hovercraft push mowers out in the barn, someday I'm
going to get it running. I think it's got the Tecumseh two-stroke, only
engine they made that I liked.

The infamous 'Fly-Mo' ?

Only the brits would be stupid enough to still use this thing!

Not true. Eastman Industries in the US builds and sells them. Lots of them.
And they ain't cheap (like around $600 last time I looked).

Short pants + Fly Mo + bare patch of ground in the lawn = sand eroded
shins and feet = bizarre dancing fetish = really stupid engineering
idea...... please go back to the drawing board.....

Perfect for steep hills, sand traps, trimming over water hazards (they will
float over water).
A very useful tool.

-Carl

Carl Byrns

[...]

As others have suggested, clean out the exhaust ports (use a wood stick)
and make sure the muffler assembly isn't coked up.

Using Gumout may have been a very bad idea- it"ll loosen all the
accumulated carbon and wash the protective oil film off the internal engine
parts.
You may have created an ideal environment for rust. Next time use 'fogging
oil' - I like the Briggs product.
And get the OEM filter.

-Carl

Don Foreman

wrote:

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It
is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark
plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air
intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner.
With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a
foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far,
I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way
or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner
that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?

I see lots of solutions offered to problems you may or may not have,
but it sounds to me like you've answered your own question. Worked OK
before replacing air cleaner. Now it smells flooded. Once had a
similar problem with a soaked MC aircleaner. Hmm.

As Gary Brady noted, pull the sponge out of the airecleaner to
eliminate that variable, see if it'll run. You may need to clean or
even change the plug since it was flooding and it's a 2-stroke.

If that works, then figure out how to filter its air.

If it doesn't work and ignition looks OK, my solution to balky
lawnmowers and snow blowers has always been to get a kit, thoroughly
clean and overhaul the carb. It has always worked on engines that
weren't so worn out it was time to replace them.
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 21 May 2005 04:53:23 GMT, the inscrutable "Carl Byrns"
spake:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Short pants + Fly Mo + bare patch of ground in the lawn = sand eroded
shins and feet = bizarre dancing fetish = really stupid engineering
idea...... please go back to the drawing board.....

Perfect for steep hills, sand traps, trimming over water hazards (they will
float over water).
A very useful tool.

Um, Carl, how often do your sand traps need mowing? (Just curious.)

Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online
Robert Swinney

Thanks to all respondents. The plug was new, the exhuast ports were cleaned
before I broached the question. I had replaced the air filter with another
brand because the store was out of Lawn Boy filters. Hey! it looked OK but
it was thicker than the original - no big deal. Apparently, being thicker
was restrictive enough to make it perform as if in choke mode, more or less.
Anyway, I got a proper filter and the problem went away. Esp. thanx to Don
Foreman who said I had pretty much diagnosed the problem already. Must be
true - what they say about great minds, huh?

Bob Swinney
wrote:

[...]

RAM^3

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 May 2005 04:53:23 GMT, "Carl Byrns"
wrote:

Perfect for steep hills,

Which only a glutton for punishment would seed in grass, anyway....

Wuddya mean - *seed*?

Grass, like taxes, *happens*!

sand traps,

maybe with chainsaw chaps and welders boots, a respirator, and any
other protective gear appropriate to a class 9 sandstorm....

trimming over water hazards (they will float over water).

Ok, well, that about sums it up. Anybody mowing water is a few french
fries short of a happy meal, anyway.....

You must not have any Water Hyacinths...

Pernicious plants!

A very useful tool.

So is a smoke sifter.

Especially when configured into a newsreader...

Carl Byrns

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 May 2005 04:53:23 GMT, the inscrutable "Carl Byrns"
spake:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Short pants + Fly Mo + bare patch of ground in the lawn = sand eroded
shins and feet = bizarre dancing fetish = really stupid engineering
idea...... please go back to the drawing board.....

Perfect for steep hills, sand traps, trimming over water hazards (they

will
float over water).
A very useful tool.

Um, Carl, how often do your sand traps need mowing? (Just curious.)

I should have said "trimming around sand traps".

Hover mowers are a specialty tool- like the socket wrench for the #1 bank O2
sensor on my truck (without the socket, it's a nightmare, with it, piece o'
cake).

-Carl

Carl Byrns

wrote:

Perfect for steep hills,

Which only a glutton for punishment would seed in grass, anyway....

Must be it doesn't rain in Geneland. Either that or grass only grows right
where you want it to. Elsewhere,erosion happens and grass grows in the
damnedest places.

trimming over water hazards (they will float over water).

Ok, well, that about sums it up. Anybody mowing water is a few french
fries short of a happy meal, anyway.....

Here, let me make it easy on you: http://www.hovermower.com/media.htm
You can watch one mowing over water. Really.

A very useful tool.

So is a smoke sifter.

Don't know about a 'smoke sifter', but I have heard of a smoke _shifter_.

-Carl

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:33:50 GMT, the inscrutable "Carl Byrns"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Um, Carl, how often do your sand traps need mowing? (Just curious.)

I should have said "trimming around sand traps".

I was just funnin' ya.

Hover mowers are a specialty tool- like the socket wrench for the #1 bank O2
sensor on my truck (without the socket, it's a nightmare, with it, piece o'
cake).

Grok that. Distributor wrenches, line wrenches, panel trim wrenches,
brake pliers, snap-ring pliers, ad infinitum. I have a whole toolbox
drawer full of bent and/or ground wrenches and sockets for one
specific use and I'll be darned if I can remember what caused most of
them to be built. The ground-down 3/4" open end was for an automatic
transmission vacuum modulator. I bent the other end to 45° for some
other use; I can recall specifics for neither but they're ready for
reuse some future day. g

-
The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com
so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites