Old July 18th 03, 03:55 AM
ATP

Default Mill drill, or drill mill?

MichaelMandavil wrote:
From: Stan Stocker

Greetings,

A mill drill has a lot of the features that make it usuable for
milling. I looked at this particular machine at the Richmond VA
store a while back. I didn't see any graduated or fine control for
down feed, the table looked and felt like crap. The whole thing was
just too light and cobbled up. Take a look at the Grizzly G1005 or
better yet G1006, compare the specs.

I haven't seen any smaller "mill/Drills", although there are the mini
mills that sell for around $400 to $500. From what I've seen, these
are better pieces of equipment than the drill/mill you refer to.

This unit looked just plain awful, as though someone had the "great"
idea of milling with a drill press and addressed the need for a
drawbar and not much else.

I was looking for a small mill/drill to complement some of the other
equipment around here, but left my wallet in my pocket on that trip.

Cheers,
Stan

Hello, Stan,

Your answer will give me a good start at comparing the two machines
to one another. By the way, here is the mill drill to which I was
referring:

The drill mill weighs three times as much, though it sells for a
hundred dollars less. It looks like what I am considering here is
size verses features, and I guess I will need to compare the relative
value of each for my application, which is to build internal
combustion engines.

I have found a mailing list for the drill mill, and I probably will
be able to find one for the mill drill as well. As long as I know
what I am getting myself in for, I think I will do alright. Any
additional comments from you, though, or from anyone else, will be
appreciared, for, as you can see, I am on a quest for enlightenment
on this matter. 8-)

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Mandaville

Why buy something like that when the used machinery market is in the toilet?
If you can afford to go to some auctions and jockey around some heavy
machinery there are some real deals out there.