Kathy and Erich Coiner

Default Mill drill, or drill mill?

Joining you in bet making I am.
check out www.engrish.com for a few chuckles

Erich

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I Chinglish suspecting am.

MichaelMandavil wrote:

Subject: Mill drill, or drill mill?
From: (Gary Coffman)
Date: 7/16/2003 2:59 PM Central Daylight Time
On 16 Jul 2003 05:14:41 GMT,
(MichaelMandavil)

wrote:

Could someone please explain to me the relative advantages and

disadvantages

of

a mill drill, as compared to a drill mill? Or is this one of the

questions
which only the great masters of machinery are allowed to contemplate?

+:]

A mill drill is a machine, invented in Taiwan, which consists of a heavy
drill press
head with a drawbar to retain milling cutter holders in the taper of its
spindle (usually
R8 or MT3), mounted on a column over an a XY table used for positioning

the
work.
It is intended for light milling and moderately heavy drilling

applications.

A drill mill is a specialized machine intended to mill drill bits of the

kind
used for
deep hole drilling (with high pressure oil pumped through them). These
machines
are rarely seen today since any ordinary CNC machining center can

quickly
produce the bits (now usually using carbide inserts), so a specialized
machine
is no longer required to make them.

Gary

Hello, Gary,

Your answer is a good one, and certainly not incorrect, although I now

see that
it will be necessary for me to leave a link here in order to demonstrate

just
what it is that I mean. Here is the type of drill mill to which I am
referring:

Of course, if this type of drill mill was just a mill drill by another

name,
then that would certainly seem to answer the question, although I am

beginning
to get the idea that this is not actually the case.

More specifically, the above drill mill is considerably larger than a

mill
drill which sells for less. Therefore, it seems reasonable to me that

the mill
drill would have to have something going for it that the drill mill does

not,
in order for the mill drill to have any sales appeal at all.

Michael

a seeker of truth about mill drills and drill mills