Larry Jaques

Default Mill drill, or drill mill?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:09:33 GMT, Stan Stocker
pixelated:

A mill drill has a lot of the features that make it usuable for milling.
I looked at this particular machine at the Richmond VA store a while
back. I didn't see any graduated or fine control for down feed, the
table looked and felt like crap. The whole thing was just too light and
cobbled up. Take a look at the Grizzly G1005 or better yet G1006,
compare the specs.

The G1005 appears to compare directly with the
HFT (but Griz DOES do better finish machining on
their products than HFT even if the castings are
the same.) The G1006 appears to be a much better
made model with a much more precise head. You don't
see 0.001" calibration specs on HFT machines. g
How do those compare to the $1k Enco models? The
G1006 appears to be the same machine, a Rong-Fu.
http://www.irvansmith.com/catalog2/p...ll_drill.shtml
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G1006

I haven't seen any smaller "mill/Drills", although there are the mini
mills that sell for around $400 to $500. From what I've seen, these are
better pieces of equipment than the drill/mill you refer to.

This unit looked just plain awful, as though someone had the "great"
idea of milling with a drill press and addressed the need for a drawbar
and not much else.

Complete with 0.010" runout, minimum, not to mention 1/16"
slop in the spindle, which is completely adjustable with a
setscrew held directly against the spindle. I have their
$39.95 5sp drill and it's well worth just that, no more.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming