Roger Hull

Default OT Ford adhesive-removal of

Just discovered the rear quarter window on my '95 Ranger PU uses four
threaded studs to hold the window gasket to the body, sealed by putty and the
glass is GLUED to the gasket. Broke the window and have not been able to
disolve the glue to get all the little pieces of broken safety glass off the
gasket. Tried Acetone, cleaning solvent, and carb cleaner. BTW, the local
Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

Moray Cuthill

"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
Just discovered the rear quarter window on my '95 Ranger PU uses four
threaded studs to hold the window gasket to the body, sealed by putty and
the
glass is GLUED to the gasket. Broke the window and have not been able to
disolve the glue to get all the little pieces of broken safety glass off
the
gasket. Tried Acetone, cleaning solvent, and carb cleaner. BTW, the local
Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

You'll probably find it's a poly-eurethane(spelling???) adhesive. In which
case the only reliable method to remove it, is to cut it off. I don't think
there's any solvents that will dissolve it.

Don Bruder

In article t,
Roger Hull wrote:

Just discovered the rear quarter window on my '95 Ranger PU uses four
threaded studs to hold the window gasket to the body, sealed by putty and the
glass is GLUED to the gasket. Broke the window and have not been able to
disolve the glue to get all the little pieces of broken safety glass off the
gasket. Tried Acetone, cleaning solvent, and carb cleaner. BTW, the local
Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

Find such a solvent, and Ford will likely dump millions in hush-money on
you... They intend that stuff to be *FOREVER*.

I'd expect you're going to have no option but to replace the gasket and
window as a unit - Also according to Ford plans for generating revenue
long past the time the model has been discontinued.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Vaughn

"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
BTW, the local
Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

Perhaps this is something special, but in general the auto dealer is the
last place I would go for auto glass (or most anything else).
Have you tried an auto glass place? Failing that, ask at a collision shop
and/or an insurance adjuster where they would go to get the job done.

Roger Shoaf

"Vaughn" wrote in message
news

"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
BTW, the local
Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

Perhaps this is something special, but in general the auto dealer is

the
last place I would go for auto glass (or most anything else).
Have you tried an auto glass place? Failing that, ask at a collision shop
and/or an insurance adjuster where they would go to get the job done.

I second this notion. I had a windshield installed parts and labor for
about $225 in my Mercedes and they came to my office.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

william_b_noble

it's probably a polyurethane, and you don't want to get it all off, just
trim it close to the metal and glue in a new piece of glass - be sure to use
the special primers (both of them) on the glass or it won't hold right.
"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
Just discovered the rear quarter window on my '95 Ranger PU uses four
threaded studs to hold the window gasket to the body, sealed by putty and

the
glass is GLUED to the gasket. Broke the window and have not been able to
disolve the glue to get all the little pieces of broken safety glass off

the
gasket. Tried Acetone, cleaning solvent, and carb cleaner. BTW, the local
Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

Gunner

On Mon, 02 May 2005 00:46:13 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

"Roger Hull" wrote in message
us.net...
BTW, the local
Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help appreciated.

Perhaps this is something special, but in general the auto dealer is the
last place I would go for auto glass (or most anything else).
Have you tried an auto glass place? Failing that, ask at a collision shop
and/or an insurance adjuster where they would go to get the job done.

No idea where you are at..but in California...most of the Pick A Part
places have subbed a couple guys to install glass. Cheaper than even
the glass shops for new and you can get used glass VERY cheap.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 1 May 2005 20:16:22 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:
"Roger Hull" wrote in message
us.net...

Just discovered the rear quarter window on my '95 Ranger PU uses four
threaded studs to hold the window gasket to the body, sealed by putty and
the glass is GLUED to the gasket. Broke the window and have not been able
to disolve the glue to get all the little pieces of broken safety glass
off the gasket. Tried Acetone, cleaning solvent, and carb cleaner. BTW,
the local Ford dealer quoted me $734 for the window!!!!! Any help
appreciated.

it's probably a polyurethane, and you don't want to get it all off, just
trim it close to the metal and glue in a new piece of glass - be sure to use
the special primers (both of them) on the glass or it won't hold right.

Glued in glass is the rule nowadays, and you can get it done for a
lot less than the dealer wants - heck, they often don't do it
themselves, they call the same mobile glass company and mark it up.

An important tip for big pieces of glued-in glass: When they tell
you not to move or drive the car for a day, and leave the windows
down, they're not kidding... If the body racks on a driveway or you
slam the door with the windows closed, the glue bond can pop between
the body and the glass before it's fully set. Resulting in odd wind
noises and rain leaks, and a rusted out pillar if water gets trapped.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Dave Mundt

Greetings and salutations....

On Mon, 02 May 2005 06:13:18 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Sun, 1 May 2005 20:16:22 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:
"Roger Hull" wrote in message
tus.net...

[...]

And...if the volume of, I THINK "Modern Miracles" that I
saw on Discovery Channel a bit ago is correct...it can impact
the rigidity and strength of the vehicle itself, as the glass IS
a structural element in the vehicles now (got to love that tinfoil,
unibody construction!)
However, I suspect that in the overall sense, the worst
annoyance WOULD be the whistles and leaks.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Removal of tile adhesive Jen UK diy 8 March 1st 05 12:00 PM
Removing vinyl floor tile adhesive Andy UK diy 5 February 22nd 05 10:05 PM
Sticky situation - adhesive question .. oh ha ha (sorry) KD UK diy 15 April 15th 04 07:42 AM
Electrolytic Rust Removal & Power Supplies Doug Van Horn Woodworking 16 January 1st 04 05:13 PM
Remove Old Floor Adhesive? Greg Home Repair 3 August 11th 03 04:33 AM