Too_Many_Tools

Default Can A Garage Be TOO Big?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...onster_garages

TROY, Mich. - Paul Piscopo wanted a home for his nine cars with plenty
of space left over for other vehicles he might buy down the road.

So, while building a house in suburban Detroit, he also put up a garage
- a cavernous 6,000-square-foot structure that covers three times as
much ground as his home and can hold 28 full-size pickup trucks.

"It's a beautiful garage," Piscopo said, smiling. "It's got all the
amenities."

But some of his neighbors disagree, calling it an eyesore. And they are
not the only ones raising questions about outsized garages.

As more people buy larger cars and trucks, cities are struggling with
how to regulate huge garages while balancing the rights of property
owners and nearby residents.

Neighbors have dubbed it the "Monster Garage" and insist Piscopo's
hulking sheet metal structure has hurt their property values. They want
it torn down.

"You have to see it to believe the disaster," said George Reed, who has
lived next door to Piscopo's property for nearly 40 years.

The Troy City Council and the city planning commission met recently to
discuss tightening restrictions on similar garages in the future. But
it is unlikely any changes would affect Piscopo's property because
revisions to city ordinances would affect only new construction
projects.

Garages have grown steadily bigger over the last 20 years, prompting
communities to review zoning regulations, said Brian Wenzel, chief
operating officer of Atwell-Hicks, an Ann Arbor-based development
consulting firm that does business in 20 states.

"Debates over restrictions aren't just occurring in the Midwest.
They're occurring in places like California and Portland, Oregon, and
across the country," he said.

In Schererville, Ind., city officials halted construction of a home in
February after noticing its garage door was taller than the city's
9-foot limit. The garage had been designed to accommodate a motor home
almost 13 feet tall and 10 feet wide.

The homeowners, whose construction plans had been approved by city
officials, were later granted a variance and allowed to continue
building.

In suburban Pittsburgh, officials considered a new ordinance that would
prohibit attached garages from exceeding 20 percent of a home's total
size.

Piscopo said he made every effort to comply with city regulations when
he drew up plans for the garage. The city granted him a construction
permit in 2003.

Plans for the enormous structure were approved because the building
covers less than 30 percent of Piscopo's acre lot and is set back from
the road. Only after construction began did neighbors start to
complain, he said.

Once they realized the size of Piscopo's project, Reed and another
neighbor took their concerns to the City Council but made little
progress.

They filed an appeal with the city's zoning board of appeals, claiming
the city had wrongfully issued a building permit to Piscopo. A hearing
on the appeal is scheduled for Tuesday.

The other neighbor, Tom Trent, maintains that if the board rules in
their favor, it could order Piscopo to tear down the whole thing and
start from scratch.

That probably would result in a messy legal battle that both sides hope
to avoid.

"I don't want to deal with all that," Piscopo said. "It doesn't pay.
The only one who wins that way are the lawyers."

Reed said he recently met with a real estate agent who told him his
home's proximity to the garage could cut its value by as much as 25
percent, and even then he would have a hard time selling it.

Reed told the City Council and planning commission that the garage
"shouldn't have been put there."

"It's kind of destroyed my future security," he said.

No, a garage can never be too big!

carl mciver

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...=21&u=/ap/2005
0420/ap_on_re_us/monster_garages

| TROY, Mich. - Paul Piscopo wanted a home for his nine cars with plenty
| of space left over for other vehicles he might buy down the road.
|
| So, while building a house in suburban Detroit, he also put up a garage
| - a cavernous 6,000-square-foot structure that covers three times as
| much ground as his home and can hold 28 full-size pickup trucks.
| SNIP

While I'm not that old, I grew up where if you had title to the
property, you could do just about any **** thing you wanted to it. No one
has any rights to any kind of view, regular property value increases, or
anything else that isn't contained within their property line or codified in
writing. If these folks think that they have a right to continuously
increasing property values or any say in how I build, then when I build a
nicer house than anyone else, which drives their values up, I expect a large
part of their equity in cash when they sell it, going by their logic applied
to both sides.
That said, if a freeway was relocated next to my house and it never
actually touches my property, I sure can't do a damn thing about it, nor can
I do anything about what the owner of the property next door does as long as
its within the law.

As for the question posed, I can see how spending more time maintaining
your shop instead of working in it could be an issue, but that's probably
over 50,000 SF or so, I guess. Then again if you can afford to build a shop
like that, you can afford to hire someone to maintain it for you, work on
your cars, polish the floors, do your dirty work, and anything else you want
them to do!

Joe AutoDrill

| TROY, Mich. - Paul Piscopo wanted a home for his nine cars with plenty
| of space left over for other vehicles he might buy down the road.
|
| So, while building a house in suburban Detroit, he also put up a garage
| - a cavernous 6,000-square-foot structure that covers three times as
| much ground as his home and can hold 28 full-size pickup trucks.
| SNIP

Michegan? First thing I'm thinking is cost to heat... If it is heated.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

jw

I do not necessarily agree that just because you have title to a
property gives you free reign to do as you please with it. We are each
only temporary in the scheme of things. Yes, you own it now, but what
about whomever comes after you. Or whomever came before you.

In any case, I don't see that he did anything wrong. The neighbors can
stuff it in my opinion. As long as he followed appropriate
channels(which he apparently did), followed all relevent codes, etc.
Too bad.

He hasnt' done anything I would consider bad land management. He
hasn't paved over his entire lot. He isn't over any of the setbacks.
Etc, etc.

JW

Tom

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

In suburban Pittsburgh, officials considered a new ordinance that would
prohibit attached garages from exceeding 20 percent of a home's total
size.

Uh, excuse me, I have a 960sqft house which means my garage can only be 10 x 19' (192sqft) ??
So if one builds their house too small they only barely get a 1 stall garage??

I wonder if there's anything that says you can't build a 6000 square ft structure, 1000 of which is house,
5000' garage with one 9x7 door??
It's a REALLY big family room. Is there anything that says you have to have interior walls?? As long as it looks
like a house from teh street and fits on the lot what can they do??

Bunch of damn politicians trying to run our lives...............

Tom

Bob May

Geez, I'd love to live next to that guy! Depressed property prices will
make the purchase from one of those idiots around him a lot easier and he'll
have all of the great tools that I'd need to keep up my cars.
That's pluses all the way along!

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

carl mciver

"jw" wrote in message
ups.com...
| I do not necessarily agree that just because you have title to a
| property gives you free reign to do as you please with it. We are each
| only temporary in the scheme of things. Yes, you own it now, but what
| about whomever comes after you. Or whomever came before you.

I stand by my original statement. You can do what you see fit with your
property, and you must also assume responsibility for any consequences of
such actions, such as you creating something uninteresting to future buyers.
Some German (?) airline had their 747's built so that the cockpit switches
all turned on by flipping them down, instead of the usual up pattern. They
found out the very, very hard way that nobody wanted them when it was time
to sell them because the planes had to be rewired at great expense to make
them sellable. They are welcome to do whatever they want, obviously,
because it's their tab, but like the example stated, they had to deal with
the unexpected consequences, as we find out about all through our lives.

Anthony

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in
oups.com:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...519&e=21&u=/ap
/20050420/ap_on_re_us/monster_garages

In my opinion, the b*tchy neighbors can shove it where the sun don't shine.
He followed all laws and regulations, the only thing is he didn't build it
big enough! One can never have toooo much garage...IMHO.
Let em sell...if he buys thier lots, he can EXPAND!

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

jw

soapbox...

Would you say the same thing if the previous owner had a buried fuel
tank and didn't bother to tell you? Or an uncapped well, or a failed
septic field, or who knows what thrown in the basement of the previous
house before it was dozed, or ..... Legally don't have to.

It's not about the financial value of said property. It's about being
a good steward of the land you have the privilege of occupying for the
time being.

The mentality that is MINE I can do whatever the hell I want with it is
such an offensive, selfish opinion that is typical of so many
Americans. No wonders most of the world hates us. We have no regard
for anyone but ourselves.

I have recently dealt with someone who had the same stance as you. He
wanted to build this huge garage that didn't fit his lot. I had no
problem with the size of the shed, but it didn't fit on his lot. The
zoning board questioned that it encroached on the setbacks of the lot.
With further research, we came to find out that where he was planning
to build was not even his property but partly the neighbors. And yet
he still could not understand why his building application was denied.
His response... "Well, the guy down the street built one just like it".

So as to not be taken for a liberal, or in favor of government
controls, I do agree that people should be allowed to do what they feel
is appropriate for their property AS LONG AS their is still some sort
of "jury of peers" that tries to keep things proper. I am going to
make the wild assumption that you do not live in a rural area. I do,
and am extremely tired of ignorant city dwellers moving to the country
and ruining well established agricultural land. Or they move out to
the country and then complain that their neighbors are "making too much
noise", "making too much dust", "blocking highways with big equipment",
"they smell", etc. Got news for you, we were here first. You can go
back where you came from, or accept that we are part of your
neighborhood. We won't change just because you don't like it.

Off my soap box for now. I'm a little sensitive on this issue. As I
stated, I don't think the gentleman in question did anything at all
wrong.

JW

carl mciver

"jw" wrote in message
oups.com...
| soapbox...
|
| Would you say the same thing if the previous owner had a buried fuel
| tank and didn't bother to tell you? Or an uncapped well, or a failed
| septic field, or who knows what thrown in the basement of the previous
| house before it was dozed, or ..... Legally don't have to.
|
| It's not about the financial value of said property. It's about being
| a good steward of the land you have the privilege of occupying for the
| time being.

Absolutely. Who said trust, but verify?

| The mentality that is MINE I can do whatever the hell I want with it is
| such an offensive, selfish opinion that is typical of so many
| Americans. No wonders most of the world hates us. We have no regard
| for anyone but ourselves.

I won't touch the second comment, but here in America, private property
is a cornerstone of our powerful economic system. Not to say that zoning,
well meant but ill-advised, hasn't been encroaching on that valued right in
various degrees. Citizens of the world may state that they hate America,
but they love Americans and would love dearly to be one. We didn't get to
this point so quickly (a mere 200 or so years) without private property and
many other unalienable rights.

| I have recently dealt with someone who had the same stance as you. He
| wanted to build this huge garage that didn't fit his lot.

Far from the same stance, but I see where you're going. Setbacks have a
good reason, most common being fire, which is a reasonable zoning issue. If
this fellow wants to build on _someone else's_ property or in a reasonably
restricted area, then we have nothing in common. I call those people
assholes.... or politicians, take your pick.

| So as to not be taken for a liberal, or in favor of government
| controls, I do agree that people should be allowed to do what they feel
| is appropriate for their property AS LONG AS their is still some sort
| of "jury of peers" that tries to keep things proper. I am going to
| make the wild assumption that you do not live in a rural area. I do,
| and am extremely tired of ignorant city dwellers moving to the country
| and ruining well established agricultural land.

I grew up in somewhat rural East Texas, which was really nice, but am
living up here north of Seattle because I came up here after a woman and
wound up staying for a good job. Still got the woman but I miss the area I
grew up in. We have something worse than what you're discussing here. The
city folks (Seattle and the like) are working hard making it difficult to do
anything other than farm with your farmland, but on the other hand, they
also love the folks who do everything they can to make it harder and harder
to be a farmer. Now that the farmer can't make any money farming his little
or medium sized plot, he wants to get out, but nobody wants to buy farmland
because it can't be developed or turned into megafarms. When he dies, the
gov'nr takes most of the farm and he's finally out of farming. Not many
other ways to get out, it seems. That kind of folk **** me off the most.

Or they move out to
| the country and then complain that their neighbors are "making too much
| noise", "making too much dust", "blocking highways with big equipment",
| "they smell", etc. Got news for you, we were here first. You can go
| back where you came from, or accept that we are part of your
| neighborhood. We won't change just because you don't like it.

I had a neighbor as a kid that raised pigs and had a furhouse for
awhile. Some afternoons in August the stench was unbearable, but there
wasn't much we could do about it, and didn't even try. Wasn't worth it.
Eventually he found another venture, as usual, and most of the smell went
away. Driving around here when the remaining farmers are fertilizing their
fields with manure, my kids now speak first and observe that it's the smell
of money. The cookie cutter housing developments along the hills are just
gonna have to get used to it until the farmers have all been run out as
noted above.

| Off my soap box for now. I'm a little sensitive on this issue.

That's actually a good thing!

As I
| stated, I don't think the gentleman in question did anything at all
| wrong.

We agree a lot more than you suspect, but I didn't spend much time
explaining how stewardship of resources isn't just a statement that you can
do whatever you want with your resources, but you have to manage them for
maximum value and longevity. No right minded rancher will kill his entire
herd, even though he could if he wanted, because now he has nothing to start
a new one with. Wildlife departments, much to the dismay of animal huggers
everywhere, have to manage the stock of wildlife not just for hunters,
because there needs to be enough to keep reproducing, without starving
themselves from overbreeding. Proper stewardship isn't always mandated by
law, but even animals don't **** where they eat.

CRM

Gunner

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:39:25 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

The cookie cutter housing developments along the hills are just
gonna have to get used to it until the farmers have all been run out as
noted above.

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes
Little boxes
Little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

And the people in the houses all go to the university
And they all get put in boxes, little boxes all the same
And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the
same
And they all play on the golf course and drink their martini dry
And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
And they all get put in boxes, and they all come out the same
And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
And they all get put in boxes, little boxes all the same

There's a green one, and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same
Pete Seeger

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Charles Lessig

Malvena Reynolds?

Pete C.

wrote:

[...]

Condensed down it's "PYV" - Plastic Yuppie Vermin...

Pete C.
Sunworshipper

wrote:

[...]

That hurts so good.

When I saw the aerial picture of JT house it didn't look that big.

If I had bucks like that I'd have the house and jets all inside as my
living space. Like a large city block of a warehouse that a big
shipping company would work out of. To the point that you'd loose your
toy blimp in.

SteveB

The perfect house is a LARGE shop with an attatched house.

Steve

Ron Bean

Gunner writes:

Little boxes on the hillside

[snip]
Pete Seeger

Pete didn't write that one.
That was Malvina Reynolds.

yourname

I won't touch the second comment, but here in America, private property
is a cornerstone of our powerful economic system. Not to say that zoning,
well meant but ill-advised, hasn't been encroaching on that valued right in
various degrees. Citizens of the world may state that they hate America,
but they love Americans and would love dearly to be one. We didn't get to
this point so quickly (a mere 200 or so years) without private property and
many other unalienable rights.

There is not, nor has there ever been unlimited private property. I too
have my issues with zoning, but it is not new. It is likely everyone you
know bought there property after zoning was created and has no excuse
for thinking they can do what they like. Here in the people's
republic[mass] we still have jokers who think they can fill swamps or
dig out hillsides without a permit. Maybe the Indians were right, you
can't really own land.

(Seattle and the like) are working hard making it difficult to do
anything other than farm with your farmland, but on the other hand, they
also love the folks who do everything they can to make it harder and harder
to be a farmer. Now that the farmer can't make any money farming his little
or medium sized plot, he wants to get out, but nobody wants to buy farmland
because it can't be developed or turned into megafarms. When he dies, the
gov'nr takes most of the farm and he's finally out of farming. Not many
other ways to get out, it seems. That kind of folk **** me off the most.

Read about that, makes you shake your head.

I am finishing my house right now and then can get back to working on
my garage. The city wouldn't let me build a workshop and 1100 sq. ft.
garage so I changed the name of the workshop to ancillary unit
(mother-in-law unit) and that allowed me to build an 1100 sq ft.
workshop and up to 1400 sq. ft. of garage though I felt 1100 sq. ft.
was enough. The package sits at the front of the lot well disguised as
modest living unit. That puts the very nice house 150 ft. from the
street and and out of earshot of the noisey pool parties across the
street. I am hoping the lathe and mill will drown out the sounds of
these disturbances when the shop is operational. Right now the
compressor is very effective as it runs a lot; spray painting doors,
cabinets, base and case. The ancillary unit has no closets, the front
door opens straight into the office ( whoops, kitchen) and I had to
have a shower in the bathroom after it became an ancillary unit but I
couldn't have one when it was a work shop. I am going to write a long
story for RCM when I get it all wrapped up. In fact it may well become
a book as I want to explain why I chose the machines and equipment I am
going to put in the shop. Leigh@MarMachine

Too_Many_Tools

I look forward to reading anything you can to write for us.

Congrats on the new shop...uhm...I mean MIL unit.

I wager you will regret later not building that extra 300 sq. ft. But
that is okay, I will store any mill or lathe that you don't have room
for. Of course you will have to store your MIL. ;)

Did you have to put a rocking chair and knitting supplies in the MIL
unit in case the inspector comes to call?

TMT

Gerald Miller

On 27 Apr 2005 20:19:33 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

I look forward to reading anything you can to write for us.

Congrats on the new shop...uhm...I mean MIL unit.

I wager you will regret later not building that extra 300 sq. ft. But
that is okay, I will store any mill or lathe that you don't have room
for. Of course you will have to store your MIL. ;)

Did you have to put a rocking chair and knitting supplies in the MIL
unit in case the inspector comes to call?

TMT

on't forget the footstool and teapot.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Lane

There is much jealousy hereabouts. i built almost a 1000 sqft garage, and
it just isn't big enough

1000 Sq Ft isn't big in my book. That's medium at best.
Lane

lionslair at consolidated dot net

yourname wrote:

wrote:

I am finishing my house right now and then can get back to working on
my garage. The city wouldn't let me build a workshop and 1100 sq. ft.
garage so I changed the name of the workshop to ancillary unit
(mother-in-law unit) and that allowed me to build an 1100 sq ft.
workshop and up to 1400 sq. ft. of garage though I felt 1100 sq. ft.

There is much jealousy hereabouts. i built almost a 1000 sqft garage,
and it just isn't big enough

I have a 900 and I know it isn't. Thankfully, we have a shop building for the
outdoor tools and machines... keeping my shop free. But then I have a half bath (cry no laundry sink)
and a Lazyboy chair with round table for 4, coffee table and water cooler.

The CNC Plasma machine is being put together now (what a kit!) in front of
one 10'x10' door while the other 'front' 10' door is behind my desk for deliveries.
Two more 10's are across the bay allowing almost an open air work shop. Nice on hot days.

I have Table saw, wood bandsaw, wood lathe, cabinets, metal lathe, metal horz bandsaw and my mill
across most of the back two 10' doors. I'm a bit cramped in that area. Still just moving in.
I think the cabinets will have to move to the central region of the shop to allow more Lathe area.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Peter T. Keillor III

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:46:17 -0500, "lionslair at consolidated dot
net" "lionslair at consolidated dot net" wrote:

yourname wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Good design for Houston. Sounds like an ice house. Just add a bar
and a couple pool tables.

The garage here is 2x2, cars, that is. The back half is mine, with
the bandsaw, welding and cutting stuff, son's forge and anvil, and the
shaper. When I finish painting and reassembling the mill, the shaper
is going in the basement shop.

Pete Keillor

yourname

Lane wrote:
There is much jealousy hereabouts. i built almost a 1000 sqft garage, and
it just isn't big enough

1000 Sq Ft isn't big in my book. That's medium at best.
Lane

Well, I have small cars