carl mciver

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...=21&u=/ap/2005
0420/ap_on_re_us/monster_garages

| TROY, Mich. - Paul Piscopo wanted a home for his nine cars with plenty
| of space left over for other vehicles he might buy down the road.
|
| So, while building a house in suburban Detroit, he also put up a garage
| - a cavernous 6,000-square-foot structure that covers three times as
| much ground as his home and can hold 28 full-size pickup trucks.
| SNIP

While I'm not that old, I grew up where if you had title to the
property, you could do just about any **** thing you wanted to it. No one
has any rights to any kind of view, regular property value increases, or
anything else that isn't contained within their property line or codified in
writing. If these folks think that they have a right to continuously
increasing property values or any say in how I build, then when I build a
nicer house than anyone else, which drives their values up, I expect a large
part of their equity in cash when they sell it, going by their logic applied
to both sides.
That said, if a freeway was relocated next to my house and it never
actually touches my property, I sure can't do a damn thing about it, nor can
I do anything about what the owner of the property next door does as long as
its within the law.

As for the question posed, I can see how spending more time maintaining
your shop instead of working in it could be an issue, but that's probably
over 50,000 SF or so, I guess. Then again if you can afford to build a shop
like that, you can afford to hire someone to maintain it for you, work on
your cars, polish the floors, do your dirty work, and anything else you want
them to do!