Budman

Default Setup for using creek water to water lawn

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what I need to do this?

The middle of the yard is about 150 feet from the creek with about a 15
foot rise. I want to run about 4 or 5 sprinklers at once. I would like
to run a hose from the creek to the pump (or does the pump have to be
near/in the creek?)

I'm sure I will need a filter for this as well, but I would like to
have a pump that would tolerate some amount of trash.

By the way, I do intend to check with the County before pulling water
from the creek for irrigation.

Thanks,
Budman

Philip Lewis

"Budman" writes:
I'm sure I will need a filter for this as well, but I would like to
have a pump that would tolerate some amount of trash.

you can get pumps that can handle gunk in it... look into farm pumps
or the sewage pumps for below line toilets.

That said, i'd consider two pumps and a reservoir were i to do it.

Get a low flow pump (solar powered maybe) with a filter that will fill
a resevoir. The filtering of a low flow will be easier i'd think, and
it would stir up less silt etc due to the lower flow.

Then use a pressure pump to deal with the high pressure pre-filtered
water.

just a thought.

check with the County before pulling water from the creek for irrigation.

good idea... never know what water rights you'll have to deal with.

--
be safe.
flip

Goedjn

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what I need to do this?

The middle of the yard is about 150 feet from the creek with about a 15
foot rise. I want to run about 4 or 5 sprinklers at once. I would like
to run a hose from the creek to the pump (or does the pump have to be
near/in the creek?)

I'm sure I will need a filter for this as well, but I would like to
have a pump that would tolerate some amount of trash.

If you're using hose, you pretty much have to put the pump
where it pushes instead of pulls, trying to suck water up 15' of head
will just collapse the hose. If you used pipe, with a foot-valve,
you could put the pump pretty much anywhere.

Your system would be a lot smaller if you were willing to drive the
sprinklers serially instead of simultaneously.

--Goedjn
Joseph Meehan

Budman wrote:
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what I need to do this?

The middle of the yard is about 150 feet from the creek with about a
15 foot rise. I want to run about 4 or 5 sprinklers at once. I would
like to run a hose from the creek to the pump (or does the pump have
to be near/in the creek?)

I'm sure I will need a filter for this as well, but I would like to
have a pump that would tolerate some amount of trash.

By the way, I do intend to check with the County before pulling water
from the creek for irrigation.

Thanks,
Budman

Check locally first. In some areas it is not legal, or may only be
allowed with some restrictions.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

No

First off, keep the govenment out of it in my opinion. you ask and they will
tell you no or charge you some fee or hassle you with some paperwork.

How would I do it.

Probably a shallow well pump with a pressure tank. I would try and make some
type of resivior in the stream or a gravity fed cistern depending on the
stream, who/what is downstream, etc. I would consider a small dam to build
up enough quantity of water. You may also want to consider just digging up a
small area of the bottom. Again, depends on the sizxe of stream and so
forth.

Interesting article
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_waterpumping.html

ups.com...

No wrote:
First off, keep the govenment out of it in my opinion. you ask and

they will
tell you no or charge you some fee or hassle you with some paperwork.

How would I do it.

Probably a shallow well pump with a pressure tank. I would try and

make some
type of resivior in the stream or a gravity fed cistern depending on

the
stream, who/what is downstream, etc. I would consider a small dam to

build
up enough quantity of water. You may also want to consider just

digging up a
small area of the bottom. Again, depends on the sizxe of stream and

so
forth.

Keeping the govt out of it might very well be financially disasterous,
especially when you're recommending dams and digging up the bottom of a
stream. These days, folks like the EPA and water resource control
authorities take a pretty dim view of this type of thing. The fines
and remediation could be subtantial.

"Budman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what I need to do this?

The middle of the yard is about 150 feet from the creek with about

a 15
foot rise. I want to run about 4 or 5 sprinklers at once. I would

like
to run a hose from the creek to the pump (or does the pump have to

be
near/in the creek?)

I'm sure I will need a filter for this as well, but I would like to
have a pump that would tolerate some amount of trash.

By the way, I do intend to check with the County before pulling

water
from the creek for irrigation.

Thanks,
Budman

MC

On our families farm we pull water from lakes and creeks, use to be the main
supply but now only as a backup to a deep well.

We installed a 2hp volume pump (or maybe called low flow) at the source. 2
inch line for about 200 ft with about a 20 ft rize. Power was supplied from
a nearby barn with big enough underground wire to match the current draw for
240V to keep voltage drop minimal.

We also had a 1/12 pump same type at the end of the 200 ft run as a boost
pump at the edge of the gardens (about three acres), not a pressure type
pump.
We could run about six of the older brass rainbird sprinkers and get enough
coverage, about a 30 foot throw of water. If we turned on the second pump
pressure increased dramatically and could run 12 to 16 sprinklers easy.

We did not have any major filters, sprinkers used would just pass any debri
that was not caught by the screens, the foot valves had course screens but
we also added a finer screen mesh around the foot valves that could be
easily removed and cleaned when needed.
If using sprays or gear driven sprinkers, do like I had to and use a
swinning pool sand filter that can be back washed. The bigest problem with
any surface water source can be alge, can be a big pain clogging up filters
and some types are not good for plants. Make sure the water source is fairly
clean.

2 inch pipe was used for the long run for minimal friction and high flow at
low pressures. this setup works great for us. and the deep well also having
a 3hp pump and 2 inch line has the pressure we need without boost now (can
pump 75gal per minute and not go dry), was an old community water system
near us, now the county supplies water so we got the well to use.

We also had a thrird smaller pump on a nearby creek to pump addtional water
into the lake (small 2 acre pond) when we had to pump a lot out of the lake.
We dug into the edge of the creek, installed concrete 3 foot diameter sewers
down about 10 feet. with holes and screen to allow water in provided a
reservior to pump water out of easliy, had a 1 hp pump and a 1-1/2 inch line
up to the lake.

Maybe overkill for what you need but hope give you some ideas.

There is a lot of information on the internet on how to design irrigation
systems. several formulas on sizing pumps and pipe sizes for the amount of
flow, pressure and rize needed, etc.

MC

"Budman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what I need to do this?

The middle of the yard is about 150 feet from the creek with about a 15
foot rise. I want to run about 4 or 5 sprinklers at once. I would like
to run a hose from the creek to the pump (or does the pump have to be
near/in the creek?)

I'm sure I will need a filter for this as well, but I would like to
have a pump that would tolerate some amount of trash.

By the way, I do intend to check with the County before pulling water
from the creek for irrigation.

Thanks,
Budman

Harry K

Budman wrote:
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend what I need to do this?

The middle of the yard is about 150 feet from the creek with about a

15
foot rise. I want to run about 4 or 5 sprinklers at once. I would

like
to run a hose from the creek to the pump (or does the pump have to be
near/in the creek?)

I'm sure I will need a filter for this as well, but I would like to
have a pump that would tolerate some amount of trash.

By the way, I do intend to check with the County before pulling water
from the creek for irrigation.

Thanks,
Budman

Quite a few good replies. This one only addresses location of the
pump.

BTDT for many years (not so many heads running at one time tho). Put
the pump as close to the water as you can. Mine started about 10ft
above the creek but soon wound up right next to it. Priming the pump
when it was high was a PITA. I used a Berkely pump w/1 hp motor,
actually have an almost new one that only ran one season (or less)
sitting on my junk shelf along with the one I wore out.

Harry K

Budman

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info.

I did check with the County, and they said it was OK to pull water from
the creek for irrigation.

However, I really do not want to put the pump in the creek - is there
are particular pump (or pump specification) that I need to look for to
be able to pull the water out of the creek (instead of pushing it)? I
don't mind using more than 1 pump and could use galvanized pipe.

Thanks,
Budman

Duane Bozarth

Budman wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info.

I did check with the County, and they said it was OK to pull water from
the creek for irrigation.

However, I really do not want to put the pump in the creek - is there
are particular pump (or pump specification) that I need to look for to
be able to pull the water out of the creek (instead of pushing it)? I
don't mind using more than 1 pump and could use galvanized pipe.

Self-priming or have a way to prime it automagically will be a big
help...

HerHusband

Budman,

The middle of the yard is about 150 feet from the creek with about a 15
foot rise. I want to run about 4 or 5 sprinklers at once. I would like
to run a hose from the creek to the pump (or does the pump have to be
near/in the creek?)

I see that you have already gotten approval from the county.

You might want to take a look at "pond pumps". They come in a variety of
sizes, are generally quiet, and typically have low energy requirements. You
can usually find them at home centers, landscaping supplies, feed stores,
or fish/pond stores. The smaller ones are generally designed to sit right
down in the pond, but the larger ones often have threaded inputs if you
want to mount the pump remotely. They usually come with filters to keep the
major debris out of the pump. I haven't checked, but I think you could
probably find a pond pump that would have enough lift and flow to power
your sprinklers (one sprinkler at a time will be easier than all at once).

If you really want to power all the sprinklers at once, and don't want to
worry about debris in the water, they do make special "trash" pumps that
will pump just about anything. Big 2" lines with lots of flow. You could
probably empty that creek in short order. I think Northern Hydraulics
sells them? Of course, then you need to worry about the sprinklers clogging
up with debris...

I would personally use PVC pipe to run to/from the pond. It's cheap,
slightly flexible (if you need that), and won't corrode like galvanized. It
also won't collapse under suction like a garden hose will. You could bury
it underground to keep it from being a trip hazard or getting in the way of
lawnmowers and whatnot.

Another option would be that flexible black poly pipe. It's fairly cheap,
rugged, and won't corrode. Pretty standard stuff at farm supplies...

You can use adapters to connect any type of pipe to your pump and
sprinklers.

Just some ideas,

Anthony
Harry K

Budman wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for all the info.

I did check with the County, and they said it was OK to pull water

from
the creek for irrigation.

However, I really do not want to put the pump in the creek - is there
are particular pump (or pump specification) that I need to look for

be able to pull the water out of the creek (instead of pushing it)? I
don't mind using more than 1 pump and could use galvanized pipe.

Thanks,
Budman

Just about any decent sized shallow well pump set-up will do. Self
priming would be a good but I don't know if it will work at that
distance. The 15 ft altitude is not a problem as suction type pumps
will pull water to about 25-26 ft (depending on your altitude, it drops
as altitude goes up).

I suggest you let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages
and look for pump or irragation businesses. A trip to them will with
your requirements will get you what you are looking for. They will
probably fix you up with a real irrigation pump vice well pump.

Harry K

Duane Bozarth

Harry K wrote:
Just about any decent sized shallow well pump set-up will do. Self
priming would be a good but I don't know if it will work at that
distance. The 15 ft altitude is not a problem as suction type pumps
will pull water to about 25-26 ft (depending on your altitude, it drops
as altitude goes up).

I suggest you let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages
and look for pump or irragation businesses. A trip to them will with
your requirements will get you what you are looking for. They will
probably fix you up with a real irrigation pump vice well pump.

Don't want a well pump to pull from open stream...a "trash" 1-1/2 to 2"
discharge would do nicely...many of them will self-prime from a 15-20'
head easily if they're designed to do so....

Alternatively, the smaller suction pump to a reservoir w/ a separate
high-pressure pump could make trash/silt/sediment easier to
control...that seems to me to be a possible real issue to keep from
clogging a typical small-orifice lawn sprinkler head...
Harry K

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Harry K wrote:
[...]

Yes, a common 'well' pump is not optimum but I know of at least two
that have been operating for years. What they used to keep the crude
out I don't know, in my case just a bundle of common fiberglass window
screen wrapped around the pick-up kept out everything except fine
sediment.

A pump made for irrigation is the best choice. Trash pumps (at least
most of them) are not because they pump volume, not pressure. To use
one will require a reservoir and another pump. Why add the
complication??

Worst plug I ever had and don't want another one: I had to pull my
pump every fall and reinstall every spring. The outlet was on quick
connect fittings. One spring I hooked everything up and started a
sprinkler that plugged almost instantely. Unplugged pulling strange
looking stuff. Back to the bib, more of same. Identified as a mouse,
rather parts of a mouse. I had to pull the bibs off every standpipe to
finally clear all of it.

Harry K

Harry Everhart

This might now seem like it is not on topic - but it is.

In my last home - we wanted to put a bathroom in the basement - but the
sewer pipe left the basement about four feet up the wall. So we dug a
sump in the basement about 3 feet deep - we put a barrel in the sump -
and put this heavy duty sump pump in the barrel. The sump pump goes on
and then off whenever the barrel gets full of sewage. The pump is so
strong that in 3 seconds it sends that sewage flying up and out the
sewer pipe. I installed that sump and pump 17 years ago. I have never
taken the cover off the sump to clean it or service it - that pump keeps
going - and going - and going. It services a toilet - sink - shower -
and laundry.

When I built it - I thought it would be trouble - boy was I wrong.

They really those pumps solidly.

Harry

Stormin Mormon

In terms of moving water, it is far, far more dificult to pull water. Much
easier to push water. FRom what I know, you'd be much better off to put the
pump at or next to the creek.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

oups.com...

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM