JerseyMike

Default garage airlines

i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where i
want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

mike...........

G Henslee

JerseyMike,

Black pipe allthough it lends itself slightly to condensation (sweating)
is most common. Copper pipe with sweated fittings, K or L PVC is good
also. PVC is out and I believe banned by the Dept. of Labor There is a
product out called PVC Air Hose.

JerseyMike wrote:
i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where i
want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

mike...........

G Henslee

G Henslee wrote:
JerseyMike,

Black pipe allthough it lends itself slightly to condensation (sweating)
is most common. Copper pipe with sweated fittings, K or L PVC is good
also. PVC is out and I believe banned by the Dept. of Labor There is a
product out called PVC Air Hose.

Correction, I made a typo in my second sentence. PVC is NOT good. As I
stated in the third sentence.

JerseyMike wrote:

i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where i
want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do
this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

mike...........

Duane Bozarth

JerseyMike wrote:

i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where i
want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

Guess you could use short sections of air hose w/ tees but would be a
lot neater to just run a drop line w/ black pipe...remember to come off
header w/ two ells, first pointing up to minimize water and to provide a
drain somewhere...
JerseyMike

"G Henslee" wrote in message
G Henslee wrote:
JerseyMike,

Black pipe allthough it lends itself slightly to condensation (sweating)
is most common. Copper pipe with sweated fittings, K or L PVC is good
also. PVC is out and I believe banned by the Dept. of Labor There is a
product out called PVC Air Hose.

Correction, I made a typo in my second sentence. PVC is NOT good. As I
stated in the third sentence.

what is PVC air hose and what would be a good Dia. for hard pipe....1/2"??
can galvanized pipe be used?? what should be put on threads.....pipe dope
or teflon tape??

mike.........

G Henslee

JerseyMike wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

G Henslee wrote:

JerseyMike,

Black pipe allthough it lends itself slightly to condensation (sweating)
is most common. Copper pipe with sweated fittings, K or L PVC is good
also. PVC is out and I believe banned by the Dept. of Labor There is a
product out called PVC Air Hose.

Correction, I made a typo in my second sentence. PVC is NOT good. As I
stated in the third sentence.

what is PVC air hose and what would be a good Dia. for hard pipe....1/2"??
can galvanized pipe be used?? what should be put on threads.....pipe dope
or teflon tape??

mike.........

Mike,

I ran across pvc air hose or pvc air line on the net a while back. A
google search should find it. IIRC it had a rating of 400 psi or close.
As for the 1/2" galvanized, sure you can use that. I would recommend
an air filter/regulator w/ coalescing filter at the beginning of the
line to deal with moisture. I prefer teflon tape for most jobs. This
one included. Give it a dozen or so wrap arounds.
JerseyMike

"G Henslee" wrote in message
JerseyMike wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

G Henslee wrote:

[...]

i have a water seperator on the cpmpressor now, do i need to add another??

mike.........

G Henslee

JerseyMike wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

JerseyMike wrote:

"G Henslee" wrote in message

G Henslee wrote:

[...]

The steel lines may sweat. Even if it may be slight overkill, to have a
water seperator mounted at each outlet would be good. They're not
extremely expensive or you could have it on a quick disconnect and you
can switch it around depending upon the outlet you're using at the time.
Keep in mind it should be level when in use. Also, the 1/2" pipe
volume should be sufficient up to 2 tools running at the same time.
Warren Weber

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where i
want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do
this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

mike...........

Mike. I used HOT water pvc. 1/2 inch. I think it was rated at 600psi. I
glued all joints. Ran 2 outlets in garage and 2 in basement and one out
side. Did this about 5 years ago. Long run to basement is about 70 feet.
Warren

Edwin Pawlowski

"Warren Weber bresnan.net" hiviewNO SPAM@ wrote in message

Mike. I used HOT water pvc. 1/2 inch. I think it was rated at 600psi. I
glued all joints. Ran 2 outlets in garage and 2 in basement and one out
side. Did this about 5 years ago. Long run to basement is about 70 feet.
Warren

The psi rating is for water, not air. Water is not as expansive and does
not explode like a gas under pressure. If the pipe is not rated for air, it
should NOT be used. There have been some rather explosive problems with PVC
air systems and it is not allowed by OSHA and some other building codes.
The fact that you'd gotten away with it for now, does not mean it won't
explode into shards.

Edwin Pawlowski

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

i have a water seperator on the cpmpressor now, do i need to add another??

mike.........

No, not unless you are using a very high volume of air for a long time.
Air heats when compressed and water condenses along the way. If you have a
constant use for hours at a time, you'd need more, but for most home uses,
it will never be a problem.

In general, the larger the pipe the better.

Pro:
It acts as a storage tank
It passes larger volumes

Con:
It costs more
It takes longer to fill that volume to bring the system up to pressure.

Industrial uses are switching from black pipe to copper as it is easier to
make changes once installed. Either works well for your use. Cost and ease
of installation are the factors. Most homeowners would have or will buy a
propane torch, but few have pipe threading and cutting capability. You can
also use air hose.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Greg O

"Warren Weber bresnan.net" hiviewNO SPAM@ wrote in message

Mike. I used HOT water pvc. 1/2 inch. I think it was rated at 600psi. I
glued all joints. Ran 2 outlets in garage and 2 in basement and one out
side. Did this about 5 years ago. Long run to basement is about 70 feet.
Warren

Here we go again!!
DO NOT USE PVC PIPE FOR AIR LINES!!!
PVC or CPVC no mater, do not use either. General plumbing PVC is not rated
for pressurized air, period.
Sure, many people use it, most of them are still alive, some of them have
shrapnel scars from when it blew up.
Greg

JerseyMike

"Warren Weber bresnan.net" hiviewNO SPAM@ wrote in message

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where

want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to

run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do
this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

mike...........

Mike. I used HOT water pvc. 1/2 inch. I think it was rated at 600psi. I
glued all joints. Ran 2 outlets in garage and 2 in basement and one out
side. Did this about 5 years ago. Long run to basement is about 70 feet.
Warren

the 20gal,2HP compressor i have is maxing out at 110psi where i have it set.
what i was hoping to do is make a shelf for it high on the wall outta the
way and run a line over the top of the ceiling joists and have a drop down
coil (not retractable like a drop light) type airline for each bay. what
i'm wondering is should i run it down the center of the garage or should i
have connections at the front or rear of the garage instead. also if using
the HotW PVC, are there connections for the transition from PVC to metal.
another question, how well do the connections hold up coming off the
compressor from the vibrations it gives off when running?

mike...........

Backlash

If a dozen wraps of teflon tape have to be used on a pipe joint to seal it,
there are other problems that need addressing. A complete round and a half
should seal a pipe thread, two wraps at the most.
PVC rigid pipe will blow up like a bomb on you. Please don't anyone us
it for airlines under pressure. If they fail, it will be a catastrophic
event. They don't just crack and leak. Ask me how I know. My next lines
probably will be adhesive jointed, or maybe soldered, copper.

RJ

"G Henslee" wrote in message
JerseyMike wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

G Henslee wrote:

[...]

stretch

Mike,

A company I once worked for installed a 2" process water line in a
factory. It was schedule 80 PVC, very heavy duty stuff. One of the
workers decided to pressure test with air on top of the water fill.
The pipe blew up and made a hole in the metal wall next to the pipe.
Another piece of the pipe landed in a car in the parking lot a hundred
feet away. It went through the windshield. Fortunately, no one was
hurt. We almost lost the account over it. The worker that put air in
the pipe lost his job. Please, PLEASE don't use plastic, ANY plastic
for an air line. Stay safe.

Stretch

Greg O

[...]

Again, do not use PVC, unless it is specifically rated for air. The PVC you
buy everywhere for water is not a good choice for air line.
Use black pipe, galvanized pipe, copper tube, air hose.
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

"JerseyMike" wrote in message

the 20gal,2HP compressor i have is maxing out at 110psi where i have it
set.
what i was hoping to do is make a shelf for it high on the wall outta the
way and run a line over the top of the ceiling joists and have a drop down
coil (not retractable like a drop light) type airline for each bay. what
i'm wondering is should i run it down the center of the garage or should i
have connections at the front or rear of the garage instead.

I guess it depends on what the use is going to be. Do you work on cars in
all three bays and use air tools? Once the drop is in place yo can just add
on another line as needed to get to the other end of the car. Are you going
to have a workbench where you use most of the air? Or course then a drop
there is smart, maybe even with a coupleof outlets in a manifold for
different tools to be plugged in and ready.

also if using
the HotW PVC, are there connections for the transition from PVC to metal.
another question, how well do the connections hold up coming off the
compressor from the vibrations it gives off when running?

It does not matter because if you are smart, you will NOT be using the PVC
pipe.

Bob G

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:54:25 GMT, "JerseyMike"
wrote:

i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where i
want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

mike...........

=====================
Just curious...why not just use hard pipe....

Black 1" pipe is extremely Cheap...not at all hard
to install...

Bob Griffiths
Stormin Mormon

Bunch of T fittings, and air hose?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JerseyMike" wrote in message
i have a craftsman air compressor i want to get off the floor and make
better use of that floor space. since the compressor's psi is set where i
want it, the compressor can be up outta the way but what i want is to run
air lines to each of the 3 bays in the garage, is there good way to do this
w/o running hard pipe? the garage is 36x24 w/ 9'6" ceiling.

mike...........

Francis Rowe

I've had 3/4" PVC air lines in my garage & basement (9 outlets total) for 8
years now - connected to a 5Hp Craftsman compressor set at 110 PSI. The
pipe's rated at 400 PSI and went together a lot easier than iron

So far, no problems.

For vibration resistance, have your pipe make a turn before clamping it to
anything - this gives it wiggle room.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Francis Rowe" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've had 3/4" PVC air lines in my garage & basement (9 outlets total) for
8 years now - connected to a 5Hp Craftsman compressor set at 110 PSI. The
pipe's rated at 400 PSI and went together a lot easier than iron

So far, no problems.

DANGER DANGER DANGER
That is a liquid rating, not air. PVC can turn to shrapnel and cause
serious injuries. You are sitting on a time bomb. Please check further and
you will find more information on this.

Greg O

"Francis Rowe" wrote in message
ink.net...
I've had 3/4" PVC air lines in my garage & basement (9 outlets total) for
8 years now - connected to a 5Hp Craftsman compressor set at 110 PSI. The
pipe's rated at 400 PSI and went together a lot easier than iron

So far, no problems.

For vibration resistance, have your pipe make a turn before clamping it to
anything - this gives it wiggle room.

Look at your PVC again, it is rated for water, not air.
Lots of people do stupid things for years and never get hurt. It don't make
it right.
Do not use PVC for air!!!
Greg

stretch

Warren,

You are lucky to still be alive. Plastic pipe violates code and is
VERY dangerous when used with compressed gasses, including air. If you
get a crack in the pipe , you will have a CPVC hand grenade. I have
seen PVC pipe go 200 feet and shatter the windshield of a car when
being pressure tested with air. CPVC is even more dangerous than PVC
when used as air lines. Change the PVC to copper or steel and save
your own life.

Stretch

Ken

Francis Rowe wrote:
I've had 3/4" PVC air lines in my garage & basement (9 outlets total)

for 8
years now - connected to a 5Hp Craftsman compressor set at 110 PSI.

The
pipe's rated at 400 PSI and went together a lot easier than iron

So far, no problems.

That's like saying grandma smoked three packs a day and lived to be 90.
It's possible that you will have no problems, but it is also possible
that it will kill you.

For vibration resistance, have your pipe make a turn before clamping

it to
anything - this gives it wiggle room.

here's one example of possible problems:
http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Here's an explanation of how to run piping correctly, along with the
explanation of why you should NOT use PVC for compressed air:
http://www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm

Ken

Francis Rowe

Not trying to get into a fight here, but PVC was suggested to me 8 years ago
by a friend who was a professional mechanic.
Is there a reason a pipe that's rated to handle 400 pounds liquid can't be
trusted with 100 pounds of gas?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Francis Rowe" wrote in message
ink.net...
Not trying to get into a fight here, but PVC was suggested to me 8 years
ago by a friend who was a professional mechanic.
Is there a reason a pipe that's rated to handle 400 pounds liquid can't be
trusted with 100 pounds of gas?

YES
Gas is easily compressed and will expand with great force when there is a
rupture. Liquid under pressure barely compresses and if it lets go, there
will be very little movement of the container and shrapnel.

Where I worked many years ago, we used to test heating coils with air in a
tank. They would fill them with 50 psi in a tank of water. When high
pressure units were built, they were hydrostatic tested up to 3000 psi
because of the safety factor of pumping liquid under pressure. The were
bench tested as it was not considered dangerous

Your friend may be a professional mechanic, but that does not mean he knows
about plastics, air pressure and the resulting hazards. OSHA does not allow
PVC, nor do the makers of the tubing allow it. A Google search will find a
lot of information on the subject.

I understand there is a new material that is acceptable for air use but do
not recall the specifications. Rubber hose rated for air can also be used.