Tony Pacc

Default Duct tape

Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the vent pipe I
have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know the pipe can get a
little warm.Thanks

Gideon

I prefer the tape which is made from heavy aluminum foil.

longshot

"Gideon" wrote in message
I prefer the tape which is made from heavy aluminum foil.

or a pipe clamp

Joseph Meehan

Tony Pacc wrote:
Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the vent
pipe I have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know the pipe
can get a little warm.Thanks

No. Duct tape is worthless in area where there will be heat. It is not
designed for long term use of any kind. It was originally designed for
securing coverings over equipment while it was shipped in WWII.

Visit the heating and cooling department and secure some tape made for
ducts. It comes in several flavors, but it generally has a shinny aluminum
cover (metal not cloth) and the adhesive is covered with a tape that has to
be removed and discarded.

Do not secure with screws. They collect lint on the inside of the pipe.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

longshot

No. Duct tape is worthless in area where there will be heat. It is

not
designed for long term use of any kind.
Visit the heating and cooling department and secure some tape made for
ducts.

duct tape is not made for ducts.. brilliant !

longshot

You've got the time period right, but the usage wrong. The Johnson and
Johnson Permacel Division made it for the U.S. Military during World War
II, but the original use was to keep the moisture out of the ammunition
cases. Because it was waterproof, soldiers referred to the tape as "Duck
Tape."

maybe cause the bullets were flying overhead & when you reached doeb for
more ammo, you had to "duck" to peel the tape off

Brian

HVAC or aluminum tape

HeyBub

Tony Pacc wrote:
Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the vent
pipe I have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know the pipe
can get a little warm.Thanks

If it works, it works. Try it. As Bluto said: "It don't cost nothin' "

Duct tape is certainly better than the alternative: WD-40.

Joseph Meehan

HeyBub wrote:
Tony Pacc wrote:
Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the vent
pipe I have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know the pipe
can get a little warm.Thanks

If it works, it works. Try it. As Bluto said: "It don't cost nothin' "

Trouble is it don't work.

Duct tape is certainly better than the alternative: WD-40.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

HeyBub

Joseph Meehan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tony Pacc wrote:
Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the vent
pipe I have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know the
pipe can get a little warm.Thanks

If it works, it works. Try it. As Bluto said: "It don't cost nothin'
"

Trouble is it don't work.

Could be you're just not using enough.

Joseph

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tony Pacc wrote:
Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the vent
pipe I have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know the
pipe can get a little warm.Thanks

If it works, it works. Try it. As Bluto said: "It don't cost nothin'
"

Trouble is it don't work.

Could be you're just not using enough.

Have to agree with that, I used it to install 1000's of vents w/o
incident over 20 years... but it also requires proper installation and
straping to last the test of time.

Joseph

Joseph Meehan

HeyBub wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tony Pacc wrote:
Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the
vent pipe I have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know
the pipe can get a little warm.Thanks

If it works, it works. Try it. As Bluto said: "It don't cost nothin'
"

Trouble is it don't work.

Could be you're just not using enough.

Standard duct tape uses an adhesive that can't handle the heat. It also
does not last all that long just exposed to the air.

--

Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Joseph wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Tony Pacc wrote:
Got a new gas laundry dryer ,is it safe to use duct tape on the
vent pipe I have ridged aluminum piping going outside wall,I know
the pipe can get a little warm.Thanks

If it works, it works. Try it. As Bluto said: "It don't cost
nothin' "

Trouble is it don't work.

Could be you're just not using enough.

Have to agree with that, I used it to install 1000's of vents w/o
incident over 20 years... but it also requires proper installation
and straping to last the test of time.

five years old. Take a good look at the condition of the tape.

If you are doing 1000's. then I would guess you are working as a
professional. Give your customers a professional job, spend the extra
dollar or two and get the right stuff.

Joseph

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

If I could find the "professional" that used regular duct take on my
old dryer id kick him in the head , it is crap, get proper Foil tape.

Joseph

"m Ransley" wrote in message
If I could find the "professional" that used regular duct take on my
old dryer id kick him in the head , it is crap, get proper Foil tape.

Ok, not to argue but that was then and they've held up fine for 20
years. The dryer vents do not reach a temperature high enough to destroy
the duct tape, at least not as long as I've been working on them. I believe
it has to have been at least ten years ago now that duct tape was no longer
allowed on duct. I now use venture tape, Caulk tape and heat tape. On
dryer vents I now use heat tape (foil) and it is heated when applied to the
pipe. Actually duct tape may still be allowed on dryer pipe here but
haven't used it for quite awhile. About the only thing I use duct tape for
anymore is to tape cuts and wounds...

Joseph

Joseph Meehan

Joseph wrote:
"m Ransley" wrote in message
If I could find the "professional" that used regular duct take on my
old dryer id kick him in the head , it is crap, get proper Foil tape.

Ok, not to argue but that was then and they've held up fine for 20
years. The dryer vents do not reach a temperature high enough to
destroy the duct tape, at least not as long as I've been working on
them. I believe it has to have been at least ten years ago now that
duct tape was no longer allowed on duct. I now use venture tape,
Caulk tape and heat tape. On dryer vents I now use heat tape (foil)
and it is heated when applied to the pipe. Actually duct tape may
still be allowed on dryer pipe here but haven't used it for quite
awhile. About the only thing I use duct tape for anymore is to tape
cuts and wounds...

Joseph

I have seen the duct tape go bad in just a couple of years. Maybe you
have been using a different duct tape than I, but mine sure does not last.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Joseph wrote:
"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I did use the high grade tapes, I would send it back anytime they tried
to pawn of the cheap stuff on me. The loss of quality in duct tape may have
been a determining factor as why some would last when others wouldn't and
that may also be the reason it was is longer accepted as good enough for
ducts.

Joseph

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

HorneTD

Joseph wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message

[...]

The proper name for duct tape is duct insulators tape. It was
originally used to hold the cloth covers that were sewn in place over
applied insulation while they were being sewn. Using the tape directly
on the metal ducting has always been a misuse because the tape is
combustible.
--
Tom H