HomeBrewer

Default New Kitchen Cabinets

I am planning on remodeling my kitchen. I have Home Depot, Lowes and Cabinet
Depot in my local area. Which would be best for quality/price?

--
___________________
HomeBrewer

willshak

On 1/22/2005 11:53 AM US(ET), HomeBrewer took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

I am planning on remodeling my kitchen. I have Home Depot, Lowes and Cabinet
Depot in my local area. Which would be best for quality/price?

They probably all have their cabinets on display, at least my HD and
Lowes do.
Go look, compare prices, and decide.
We have no idea what you want to spend, or what quality you will settle for.

--
Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

I am planning on remodeling my kitchen. I have Home Depot, Lowes and
Cabinet
Depot in my local area. Which would be best for quality/price?

None of the above. Our local lumber yard/home center has better quality at
about the same price. Worth checking other places than the mass marketers.

ares

One thing I noticed lately about cabinets, is that mine opened into a facing
of wood. We bought a new bathroom vanity only to notice there is no facing
of wood and the doors attach to the sides of the vanity instead, and they
open into empty space; seems sorta cheap to me; got it at HD.
ares

"HomeBrewer" wrote in message
I am planning on remodeling my kitchen. I have Home Depot, Lowes and

Cabinet
Depot in my local area. Which would be best for quality/price?

--
___________________
HomeBrewer
http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
http://85cj7.webhop.net/
http://funfacts.webhop.org/
"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

busbus

Homebrewer,

Don't be afraid to also look around for an independent cabinet shop. I
think it may surprise you how affordable they really are compared to Home
Depot, et al. When you deal with the independent guys, they will be the
ones who measure, make the cabinets, install them, and (most importantly)
stand behind them. You get the sub-contractor of the month at Home Depot.
Trust me: give the independent guy a shot. He can give you things the big
guys can't with little customizations all over the place.

All this plus the price is more-or-less the same as at the BORGs--and many
times LESS than the BORG prices.

"HomeBrewer" wrote in message
I am planning on remodeling my kitchen. I have Home Depot, Lowes and
Cabinet Depot in my local area. Which would be best for quality/price?

--
___________________
HomeBrewer
http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
http://85cj7.webhop.net/
http://funfacts.webhop.org/
"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

Edwin Pawlowski

"ares" wrote in message
One thing I noticed lately about cabinets, is that mine opened into a
facing
of wood. We bought a new bathroom vanity only to notice there is no
facing
of wood and the doors attach to the sides of the vanity instead, and they
open into empty space; seems sorta cheap to me; got it at HD.
ares

That is the Euro style of frameless cabinets. They are a bit more
contemporary looking but the original reason for the design change was
cheaper manufacturing and less material.

Dorot29701

We got new cabinets last year. After looking at Lowe's and HD, we got
estimates from local cabinet makers. We ended up using a local man who custom
made all the cabinets. He was more reasonably priced. Be sure and get names
of former customers and if possible go look at samples of his work.

HomeBrewer

I forgot to mention this: I thought the cabinet depot was a small, local,
custom place. At least they specialize in cabinets. Is this just another
chain?
--
___________________
HomeBrewer
http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
http://85cj7.webhop.net/
http://funfacts.webhop.org/
"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

ares

Yeah, it figures; I don't like them though. I thought anything 'Euro' would
be better quality than THAT.
ares

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

That is the Euro style of frameless cabinets. They are a bit more
contemporary looking but the original reason for the design change was
cheaper manufacturing and less material.

busbus

I don't know how many brick and mortar stores there are but I think they are
one of the big guys. I am looking at their website and it seems like a
cookie-cutter place. They may be a little better made but you probably have
to choose from the styles they have. A local guy can give you a lot of good
ideas and make those "little things" you can never get from the
cookie-cutters who need to produce oodles and oodles of the same thing over
and over again to realize their profits.

The cabinets at Cabinet World may be better than you get from other places
but I can assure you that you will get even BETTER quality and more
satisfaction from dealing with a good, reputable cabinetmaker in your neck
of the woods. Just remember to do what somebody else said: Look at multiple
cabinet shops and work to choose who you consider the best one.

Good luck! You will learn so much in the process that you may even opt to
make your own to save money!

"HomeBrewer" wrote in message
I forgot to mention this: I thought the cabinet depot was a small, local,
custom place. At least they specialize in cabinets. Is this just another
chain?
--
___________________
HomeBrewer
http://85cj7.blogspot.com/
http://85cj7.webhop.net/
http://funfacts.webhop.org/
"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

pray4surf

"HomeBrewer" wrote in message
: I am planning on remodeling my kitchen. I have Home Depot, Lowes and
Cabinet
: Depot in my local area. Which would be best for quality/price?
:
: --
: ___________________
: HomeBrewer

You didn't indicate whether you would be installing the cabinets yourself.
If not, you can skip my reply....

With that said...

When we went shopping for cabinets at the onset of our remodel, no one could
beat the borg price for 'stock' cabinets alone...

Every single 'local guy' that submitted a proposal was thousands over the
borg's quote... Whether they weren't encouraged by my insistence that I
would do the install....

We ultimately went with the American Woodmark 'Gettysburg' from HD in a
natural oak. In hindsight, I might have upgraded to the KraftMaid line.
Primarily because a handful of major and minor quality issues. Two cabinets
had to be exchanged. One was out of square and the other constructed of the
wrong material (came in presswood rather than the plywood)...

Only upgrades we went with were lazy-susans in the bottom corners and
rollout drawers in the pantry.

We are really pleased with the end result as you can see from the photos
he
www.nctimes.net/~pray/House.htm

Of course, YMMV...

Rick

Edwin Pawlowski

"pray4surf" wrote in message
When we went shopping for cabinets at the onset of our remodel, no one
could
beat the borg price for 'stock' cabinets alone...

Every single 'local guy' that submitted a proposal was thousands over the
borg's quote... Whether they weren't encouraged by my insistence that I
would do the install....

But was it for the same cabinets? Quality varies considerably.

pray4surf

:
: But was it for the same cabinets? Quality varies considerably.
:

Good question Edwin...

During our pricing of cabinets, we sat down with quite number of vendors. We
explained what we wanted and what price range we were limited to pay. In
order to compare apples to apples, we simply stated we wanted a shaker style
cabinet in maple with a natural finish. If the vendor could not meet our
requirements, we simply moved on to the next...

It was obvious to us that if they couldn't meet our criteria it wouldn't
matter if their quality was better. We weren't looking for rolls-royce
cabinets as we live in a chevrolet neighborhood ;-)

Other than the few issues previously addressed we are quite happy with our
choice.

Rick

Edwin Pawlowski

"pray4surf" wrote in message
During our pricing of cabinets, we sat down with quite number of vendors.
We
explained what we wanted and what price range we were limited to pay. In
order to compare apples to apples, we simply stated we wanted a shaker
style
cabinet in maple with a natural finish. If the vendor could not meet our
requirements, we simply moved on to the next...

Good that at least you knew what you wanted.

Other than the few issues previously addressed we are quite happy with our
choice.

Rick

Most important is that you are happy with them. From a purely utilitarian
view, most any cabinet will hold your dishes and pots. After that, it
becomes a question of what fancy features you want and how much are you
willing to pay for them. In my laundry room I have a couple of medium grade
30" cabinets from Home Depot. While they are perfect there, it is not what
I want in my kitchen.

Differences in materials can be huge. Some hardware will tarnish in a
couple of years, others look good in 20 years. Comes down to personal
choice.

Rona DIY kitchen cabinets thickness, etc... Howie Home Repair 7 March 22nd 06 06:29 AM
Can I refurbish my kitchen cabinets? Al Kondo Home Repair 7 May 5th 04 04:46 PM
Kitchen cabinets Lynn Home Ownership 16 March 23rd 04 04:51 PM
Re-Finishing Kitchen Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 3 February 22nd 04 12:54 PM
Best / Cheapest Place To Buy Kitchen Cabinets??? SuzySue UK diy 4 January 13th 04 01:36 AM