Default Lights dim when AC/furnace kicks on

We've only been in our house (30 year old home) for a few months. We
can tell whenever the AC or furnace kicks on because there's an almost
imperceptible dimming of the lights. Can someone explain the possible
reason(s) for this? We have a home warranty and if this is something
serious then we'd like to have it addressed quickly.

Thanks!

Matt

I think you have a case of the new home owner jitters.

As long as the dimming remains "almost impercetable", and remains
confined to when large appliances are started, I wouldn't worry about
it.

Large appliances draw a lot of current, especially when starting,
resulting in the dimming you see.

m Ransley

Is the furnace on its own circuit, is panel 60 A? A furnace should pull
load at startup but not enough to dim other lights unless 60A is your
service. AC on the other hand pulls alot more. More info needed.

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
We've only been in our house (30 year old home) for a few months. We
can tell whenever the AC or furnace kicks on because there's an almost
imperceptible dimming of the lights. Can someone explain the possible
reason(s) for this? We have a home warranty and if this is something
serious then we'd like to have it addressed quickly.

Thanks!

This is Turtle.

First you did not give enough data to even start to see or get a guess at it.
Here is what you need to give.

1) Is the dimming happening during cooling mode ? Heating mode ? during both
modes ?

2) Is the furnace a gas , Propane, All Electric , Gas furnace and Heat Pump
Combo, or heat pump only type heat with back up electric heat ?

3) Do you live in a very far out of town area ? Or in a city ? Or in a Big
City ?

4) How Bad do the lights blink as 1/10 of a second or more that a full second
?

5) What is the name of the Home warranty you have ?

TURTLE

m Ransley

Well bubbaass I sure dont do hvac, but I sure enough know more than you
on boilers even though you say your a pro, Im just a H. O.
I think you are a rude trailer hack, wood stove crack, but no HVAC pro.
Just a looser to go

TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Well bubbaass I sure dont do hvac, but I sure enough know more than you
on boilers even though you say your a pro, Im just a H. O.
I think you are a rude trailer hack, wood stove crack, but no HVAC pro.
Just a looser to go

This is Turtle.

When did I change my name to Bubba ? I'm Turtle.

TURTLE

Bubba

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:19:15 -0600, "TURTLE"
wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Well bubbaass I sure dont do hvac, but I sure enough know more than you
on boilers even though you say your a pro, Im just a H. O.
I think you are a rude trailer hack, wood stove crack, but no HVAC pro.
Just a looser to go

This is Turtle.

When did I change my name to Bubba ? I'm Turtle.

TURTLE

Dont mind the webtv boy. He's just not been right since the lobotomy.
He seems to think that a Weil-Mclain installation manual is gospel,
cant seem to interpret between the lines and thinks he is a ho****er
and steam boiler genius. Hes just a wannabe. Always has been, always
will be.
Bubba
geoman

wrote in message
oups.com...
We've only been in our house (30 year old home) for a few months. We
can tell whenever the AC or furnace kicks on because there's an almost
imperceptible dimming of the lights. Can someone explain the possible
reason(s) for this? We have a home warranty and if this is something
serious then we'd like to have it addressed quickly.

Thanks!

A few suggestions here.

1 Now being able to see the amount of dimming there is no way of telling
if you have a problem over the net
2. There are three things that can cause this that I know about, maybe
four
3 You have to think of the wire in your home as water pipes to help
understand what I'm going to tell you

A If there is something wrong with the AC this could cause this problem,
to much power required to start a tight compressor
B If there is a loose wire this could cause this problem, causing high
amp draw, think of a valve downstream of the main.
C A bad electrical panel
D Corroded wires at the pole or mast.

I have seen two jobs that were serious in nature and a dozen that weren't.
Older homes had smaller electrical entrances and that is like smaller water
pipes, your only going to get so much water through a small pipe. The same
is with wire, only so much power and if you have a lot going on and the AC
starts your lights will dim for a second. This is normal but not desired,
but not necessarily dangerous by any means.

I have seen a homes lights dim when a belt drive 1/4 hp motor started on the
furnace, ALL the lights dimmed. I knew then that the wire (think of a pipe)
somewhere at the box supply entrance to the utility pole outside had to have
problems. Told them I would not put a furnace or AC in until its repaired.
They called an electrician out and he said I was crazy. Called another and
they didn't think there was any problem. I still refused and the homeowner
called the utility guy out. Here the wires connect at the mast, (wires
outside the house connected to utility wires) were completely corroded and
ready to fail! The utility company replaced the wires from the street to
the home and solved the problem. This could have caused the home to burn
down

The other major problem was corrosion INSIDE the main electrical panel
itself. Once again and electrician didn't think there was any problems. I
used my inferred thermometer and found one circuit dangerously hot!! The
buss inside the panel was corroded on one breaker. Changed the breaker box
out and problem was solved.

So, you may not have a problem and yet again this may be an indication of
major problems in the future.

Hope this helps
Rich

TURTLE

wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Well bubbaass I sure dont do hvac, but I sure enough know more than you
on boilers even though you say your a pro, Im just a H. O.
I think you are a rude trailer hack, wood stove crack, but no HVAC pro.
Just a looser to go

This is Turtle.

When did I change my name to Bubba ? I'm Turtle.

TURTLE

Dont mind the webtv boy. He's just not been right since the lobotomy.
He seems to think that a Weil-Mclain installation manual is gospel,
cant seem to interpret between the lines and thinks he is a ho****er
and steam boiler genius. Hes just a wannabe. Always has been, always
will be.
Bubba

This is Turtle.

Hey why don't you two take a evening off and think up some good insults to use
and start over tomorrow morning with a fresh mine and you can fire the freshly
thought up insults at each other and really do a much better job at it. A
freshly Planned out attack is always better that a off the cuff attack.

TURTLE

David Combs

In article ,
geoman wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
The other major problem was corrosion INSIDE the main electrical panel
itself. Once again and electrician didn't think there was any problems. I
used my inferred thermometer and found one circuit dangerously hot!! The

--------------------

What's that, an "inferred thermometer"?

buss inside the panel was corroded on one breaker. Changed the breaker box
out and problem was solved.

So, you may not have a problem and yet again this may be an indication of
major problems in the future.

Hope this helps
Rich

Thanks,

David

Ralph Mowery

The other major problem was corrosion INSIDE the main electrical panel
itself. Once again and electrician didn't think there was any problems. I
used my inferred thermometer and found one circuit dangerously hot!! The

--------------------

What's that, an "inferred thermometer"?

The guy can not spell any beter than I can.

infrared thermometer

http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/infraredthermometer.html

If you really want to know.

They pick up heat without touching anything.

Wiring 'Dual Master' motion sensing lights charbroil bad Home Repair 6 May 7th 16 08:59 PM
Dimming Lights in Barn (underground wire) Charles Home Repair 3 January 16th 04 05:04 PM
Christmas lights S Viemeister UK diy 10 December 21st 03 07:03 PM
Bathroom lights - what's allowed/required? [email protected] UK diy 16 October 15th 03 11:26 PM
Multiple lights trip MCB Robert Hunt UK diy 25 September 3rd 03 01:09 AM