S Viemeister

Default Christmas lights

mich wrote:

I am having difficulty getting a set of Christmas lights to stay in situ!
I want them round my window. I have a wooden window frame.

They are indoor lights. I have tried pinning them with drawing pins, blue
tacking them and taping them. Tape wont stick on window.
Drawing pins are popping out because the wire on the lights is a bit thick
and the pins not long enough to accommodate it and go into the frame.

Blue tack, the wire is too heavy to hold

I am reluctant to do too much damage to my window frames , or have large
holes in them , so nails is a non starter.

How do other people get their lights up?

I've used the long, big-headed pins sold in quilt shops. They only make a
small hole, and they're long enough to hold thickish wire.

Bob Minchin

mich wrote:

I am having difficulty getting a set of Christmas lights to stay in situ!
I want them round my window. I have a wooden window frame.

They are indoor lights. I have tried pinning them with drawing pins, blue
tacking them and taping them. Tape wont stick on window.
Drawing pins are popping out because the wire on the lights is a bit thick
and the pins not long enough to accommodate it and go into the frame.

Blue tack, the wire is too heavy to hold

I am reluctant to do too much damage to my window frames , or have large
holes in them , so nails is a non starter.

How do other people get their lights up?

Use some of the wire ties that are supplied wuth freezer bags, twist around
the cable and put a drawing pin through a loop in the tie.
Or take astrip of sellotape or insulation tape, put it round the wire and
stick back on itself to make a tab. Then use a drawing pin through that.

Bob

Chris Oates

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
mich wrote:

I am having difficulty getting a set of Christmas lights to stay in

situ!
I want them round my window. I have a wooden window frame.

Woolies have been selling sets lighting sets including suction cups

geoff

In message , mich
writes
I am having difficulty getting a set of Christmas lights to stay in situ!
I want them round my window. I have a wooden window frame.

They are indoor lights. I have tried pinning them with drawing pins, blue
tacking them and taping them. Tape wont stick on window.
Drawing pins are popping out because the wire on the lights is a bit thick
and the pins not long enough to accommodate it and go into the frame.

Blue tack, the wire is too heavy to hold

I am reluctant to do too much damage to my window frames , or have large
holes in them , so nails is a non starter.

How do other people get their lights up?

Staple gun from e.g. Argos - £7.99
--
geoff
Woodspoiler

How about folding a short length of tape over the wire, so the
wire is in the bottom of the U and the two free ends stick
together to form a tag. The drawing pin can then go through the
tag.
W.

"mich" wrote in message
I am having difficulty getting a set of Christmas lights to

stay in situ!
I want them round my window. I have a wooden window frame.

They are indoor lights. I have tried pinning them with drawing

pins, blue
tacking them and taping them. Tape wont stick on window.
Drawing pins are popping out because the wire on the lights is

a bit thick
and the pins not long enough to accommodate it and go into the

frame.

Blue tack, the wire is too heavy to hold

I am reluctant to do too much damage to my window frames , or

have large
holes in them , so nails is a non starter.

How do other people get their lights up?

Andy Dingley

wrote:

How do other people get their lights up?

Two damn great drilled in fixings, high up where they're out of the
way - then a string draped between them, and other things hung from
that.

Or 3M "Command" sticky pads, which are expensive, but removable. On
glass, metal or most gloss paints, they're removable without damage.

--
Smert' spamionam
Andrew Mawson

"mich" wrote in message
I am having difficulty getting a set of Christmas lights to stay in situ!
I want them round my window. I have a wooden window frame.

They are indoor lights. I have tried pinning them with drawing pins, blue
tacking them and taping them. Tape wont stick on window.
Drawing pins are popping out because the wire on the lights is a bit thick
and the pins not long enough to accommodate it and go into the frame.

Blue tack, the wire is too heavy to hold

I am reluctant to do too much damage to my window frames , or have large
holes in them , so nails is a non starter.

How do other people get their lights up?

Quick dabs from a hot glue gun along the wires - it'll pull off easily later
if you make them small

Andrew

Witchy

wrote:

I am having difficulty getting a set of Christmas lights to stay in situ!
I want them round my window. I have a wooden window frame.

They are indoor lights. I have tried pinning them with drawing pins, blue
tacking them and taping them. Tape wont stick on window.
Drawing pins are popping out because the wire on the lights is a bit thick
and the pins not long enough to accommodate it and go into the frame.

Blue tack, the wire is too heavy to hold

I am reluctant to do too much damage to my window frames , or have large
holes in them , so nails is a non starter.

How do other people get their lights up?

Make sure that at this time of year that the whole room is in such
disarray that you've got no chance of getting lights, decorations or
even the bloody tree up and you're sorted.

Or is that just us )
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

How do other people get their lights up?

Quick dabs from a hot glue gun along the wires - it'll pull off easily

later
if you make them small

Andrew

That was going to be my suggestion too - just make sure the surface is clean
and dry.