Duane Bozarth

Samson wrote:

I'm told fertilizer is a hazardous material. After hours on Google, the
only thing I find is if the fertilizer contains ammonium nitrate, then it is
considered an oxidizer which is considered hazardous. Anyone have any
thoughts on storing about 1200 lbs. of lawn fertilizer which doesn't contain
ammonium nitrate? What chemicals should be kept away from it if any?
Thanks.

What does it contain?

Colbyt

"Samson" wrote in message
I'm told fertilizer is a hazardous material. After hours on Google, the
only thing I find is if the fertilizer contains ammonium nitrate, then it

is
considered an oxidizer which is considered hazardous. Anyone have any
thoughts on storing about 1200 lbs. of lawn fertilizer which doesn't

contain
ammonium nitrate? What chemicals should be kept away from it if any?
Thanks.

I may be wrong but I think ammonium nitrate constitutes the nitrogen (the
first # in the XX-XX-XX content label) in all commercial fertilizers.

In this day and age I am not willing to state in a newsgroup that can be
read by anyone what may make it go boom. I will say you should be safe if
it is stored in garden shed or barn away from heat sources or combustible
materials.

I will add that any fertilizer that gets wet with water has the potential to
destroy concrete, at least the top layer. It can also corrode metal to the
point of ruin.

Colbyt

George E. Cawthon

Samson wrote:
I'm told fertilizer is a hazardous material. After hours on Google, the
only thing I find is if the fertilizer contains ammonium nitrate, then it is
considered an oxidizer which is considered hazardous. Anyone have any
thoughts on storing about 1200 lbs. of lawn fertilizer which doesn't contain
ammonium nitrate? What chemicals should be kept away from it if any?
Thanks.

And you need to store 1200 pounds for what reason?

No it is not a hazardous material, but some are talking
about regulating it after the Oklahoma bombing. Although
practically everyone know how to use it as an explosive,
regulating the purchase is really dumb considering the vast
amounts use in agriculture. Ammonium nitrate, as well as
any other nitrate, doesn't need any particular storage
consideration. Just keep it dry, mainly to keep it from
caking. If you are a very cautious person, then keep all
other flamable liquids separate from it. The chance of you
having an explosion is remote unless you do it intentionally
and even then it takes work.

It is not a really good lawn fertilizer because it is easy
to apply to much and will burn the lawn
George E. Cawthon

Samson wrote:
I'm told fertilizer is a hazardous material. After hours on Google, the
only thing I find is if the fertilizer contains ammonium nitrate, then it is
considered an oxidizer which is considered hazardous. Anyone have any
thoughts on storing about 1200 lbs. of lawn fertilizer which doesn't contain
ammonium nitrate? What chemicals should be kept away from it if any?
Thanks.

Any fertilizer, with nitrate or not, should be kept dry.
That's about the only thing important

PJx

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 01:27:09 GMT, "Samson" wrote:

I'm told fertilizer is a hazardous material. After hours on Google, the
only thing I find is if the fertilizer contains ammonium nitrate, then it is
considered an oxidizer which is considered hazardous. Anyone have any
thoughts on storing about 1200 lbs. of lawn fertilizer which doesn't contain
ammonium nitrate? What chemicals should be kept away from it if any?
Thanks.

Wrap it in plastic.

PJ

HorneTD

Samson wrote:
I'm told fertilizer is a hazardous material. After hours on Google, the
only thing I find is if the fertilizer contains ammonium nitrate, then it is
considered an oxidizer which is considered hazardous. Anyone have any
thoughts on storing about 1200 lbs. of lawn fertilizer which doesn't contain
ammonium nitrate? What chemicals should be kept away from it if any?
Thanks.

Ask the vender you bought it from for a copy of the Material Safety Data
Sheet (MSDS). It will include instructions for safe handling. Ammonium
Nitrate is not the only fertilizer that will act as an oxidizer. You
should also check with the code enforcement office of your local fire
department. The fines for storing hazardous materials in violation of
local and state law can be quite steep.
--
Tom H

Ask the vender you bought it from for a copy of the Material Safety Data
Sheet (MSDS). It will include instructions for safe handling. Ammonium
Nitrate is not the only fertilizer that will act as an oxidizer. You
should also check with the code enforcement office of your local fire
department. The fines for storing hazardous materials in violation of
local and state law can be quite steep.

Aren't there handling instruction written on the bags?

A quick browse of the net seems to indicate that most people
are more worried about you contaminating groundwater or
poisoning your livestock than about you blowing things up,
from which I gather that making fertilizer blow up is
sort of hard to do by accident.
Phisherman

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 01:27:09 GMT, "Samson" wrote:

I'm told fertilizer is a hazardous material. After hours on Google, the
only thing I find is if the fertilizer contains ammonium nitrate, then it is
considered an oxidizer which is considered hazardous. Anyone have any
thoughts on storing about 1200 lbs. of lawn fertilizer which doesn't contain
ammonium nitrate? What chemicals should be kept away from it if any?
Thanks.

I would have no concern, but it should be used within a year. Store it
on pallets up off the floor. Keep it dry or you'll have a mess.

Jmagerl

fertilizer is hydroscopic. It will absorb water from the air. Make sure it
is in a leakproof container otherwise you will end up with liquid fertilizer
all over the floor. Makes a great substitute for salt if you want to melt
ice around sensitive plants (just don't over fertilize).

I would be more worried about the smell in your house. yeech.

Storing a Gas Grille Scott Home Repair 6 January 5th 05 11:39 PM
Storing wood George Woodworking 9 August 26th 04 03:15 PM
Storing Poly in Plastic Bill Stock Woodworking 8 August 24th 04 05:54 AM
Storing Clamps Creamy Goodness Woodworking 32 April 11th 04 06:01 PM
Storing a large snowblower Dave C. Home Repair 3 February 7th 04 10:23 PM