Dean Hoffman

On 1/8/05 4:56 PM, in article , "
wrote:

Aren't there handling instruction written on the bags?

A quick browse of the net seems to indicate that most people
are more worried about you contaminating groundwater or
poisoning your livestock than about you blowing things up,
from which I gather that making fertilizer blow up is
sort of hard to do by accident.

Dry fertilizer isn't dangerous to handle. Storage is just on concrete
in bins inside a dry building. It's loaded with skid steer or front end
loaders and just hauled around in spreader trucks. There are some
restrictions, I think, on application times in my area of Nebraska. It's a
groundwater contamination issue as you found.
Information here on storage:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache....edu/water/far
m-a-syst/ec769.pdf+unl+dry+fertilizer+handling+&hl=en

The dangerous fertilizer is NH3 or anhydrous ammonia. It can also be
used to make meth. That's starting to be an issue here.

Dean

Dean