Dave C.

Default Storing a large snowblower

"Ignoramus17685" wrote in message
I am restoring a military surplus snowblower. It is a big badass
Bolens 24 inch snowblower. It needs a new motor. Right now, I keep it
in a shed, but I think that when I actually use it, I would like to
keep it outside as it weighs more than me and is hard to get back into
the shed.

So, my thinking is to keep it covered by tarp outside, during snowy
part of the winter. The tarp will be held by rubber tiedowns. Will it
rust completely or is this a sound plan?

thanks

Many people store cars that way. I don't see how it would hurt. I'd be
sure to have it sitting on something really solid though, like a cement
patio or something. I wouldn't just plop it on the grass and cover it.
Ideal would be to put it in a covered carport and THEN cover it with a
arp. -Dave

'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:02:15 -0600, Ignoramus17685
wrote:

I am restoring a military surplus snowblower. It is a big badass
Bolens 24 inch snowblower. It needs a new motor. Right now, I keep it
in a shed, but I think that when I actually use it, I would like to
keep it outside as it weighs more than me and is hard to get back into
the shed.

So, my thinking is to keep it covered by tarp outside, during snowy
part of the winter. The tarp will be held by rubber tiedowns. Will it
rust completely or is this a sound plan?

thanks

Sorry, that's not big. Big is my 7' wide truck mounted blower. It
gives good blower jobs. :-)

Seriously though, I keep lots of equipment stored that way. We
usually take a trash bag and cover the engine separately and then tarp
the whole unit.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

www.sandpoint.net/captkirk
www.stormyacres.com
Dick Smyth

My blower isn't that big but it's still an awkward sob. What I find helped
tremendously was removing the drift breakers. They don't really serve much
purpose and I have a dent in my car and in my garage door and a crack in my
house siding where they have accidentally collided. They come off by undoing
four bolts.
Another benefit is I now can up end the machine if I have to work on the
belts etc.
Simple matter to replace them if we get a six foot snow storm.
ds

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:02:15 -0600, someone wrote:

So, my thinking is to keep it covered by tarp outside, during snowy
part of the winter. The tarp will be held by rubber tiedowns. Will it
rust completely or is this a sound plan?

It will not rust "completely" for many years.

But seriously, while it would last longer indoors, many people,
including me, have them outside in the winter. There is less rust
going on when it is cold anyway.

How many years difference in life would it take for you to decide one
way or the other?

-v.