Bill Machin

Default Resawing A Large Bowl Blank--Help!

I will be receiving a large redwood burl bowl blank in the near
future. Approximate size is 16x16x8. I can handle cutting the circle,
but would like to to make a 16x6 bowl and use the remaining thickness
for a platter. I'm in the process of trying to find someone with a
large enough band saw to make the resaw cut for me, but am guessing
that chances of that happening locally are pretty slim.

A chainsaw would do the job as would the straight tool for my Kelton
hollower, but both would be fairly lossy in terms of material waste
(at least with my skill level.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
Bill Machin
Ruth

Bill wrote: ..."I'm in the process of trying to find someone with a
large enough band saw to make the resaw cut for me, but am guessing that
chances of that happening locally are pretty slim."
****************************

Bill,
Check with the high school shop teacher.

Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Leo Lichtman

Bill Machin wrote: (cli[p) but both would be fairly lossy in terms of
material waste
(clip)Any thoughts or ideas?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would mount the blank on the lathe, with the platter part toward the
tailstock. Turn it round, and make a pencil line to show where you plan to
part off the flat platter blank.

Now, start turning the outside of the bowl, leaving the platter part
untouched. When you get fairly close to the foot, use a handsaw to drop off
the platter, and then complete the bowl. You will waste only the kerf of a
handsaw.

Brad the Lurker

Bill,

With a japanese or bow saw and a bit of elbow greese you can get what
you want. I'd chuck up and true whole blank. Use a thin parting tool
to go as deep as you dare. Then stop the lathe, lock the spindle, and
finish off with the saw.

Brad in Benicia
Leo Lichtman

Brad, who lurks in Benecia wrote (clip) Use a thin parting tool to go as
deep as you dare. Then stop the lathe, lock the spindle, and finish off
with the saw.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Brad, your method and my method arrive at the same end-point. Using your
method, if you make the cut with the parting tool on the bowl-side of the
line, it will not matter whether it is a thin parting tool, since the wood
it is removing is the same wood I was removing in shaping the exterior of
the bowl prior to parting off. I think your procedure is better because it
gets the platter out of the way before you start shaping the bowl.

Leo Lichtman

Brad, who lurks in Benecia wrote (clip) Use a thin parting tool to go as
deep as you dare. Then stop the lathe, lock the spindle, and finish off
with the saw.
Brad, I thought of a better answer. In order to get as much use of the wood
as possible, use a Stewart tool, which is like a long parting tool, that is
usually used for bowl coring. Make a conical cut, starting farther up the
wood than both of us originally described, angled toward the bottom of the
platter. In that way you are making the sides of the platter blank higher,
without making the bowl smaller.