Leo Lichtman

Default Resawing A Large Bowl Blank--Help!

Brad, who lurks in Benecia wrote (clip) Use a thin parting tool to go as
deep as you dare. Then stop the lathe, lock the spindle, and finish off
with the saw.
Brad, your method and my method arrive at the same end-point. Using your
method, if you make the cut with the parting tool on the bowl-side of the
line, it will not matter whether it is a thin parting tool, since the wood
it is removing is the same wood I was removing in shaping the exterior of
the bowl prior to parting off. I think your procedure is better because it
gets the platter out of the way before you start shaping the bowl.