Scott

Default Double disposals

I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I use
the kitchen.

This is something I haven't seen before. Aside from the obvious drawback
(higher cost), is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
-Scott
effi

"Scott" wrote in message
I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I use
the kitchen.

This is something I haven't seen before. Aside from the obvious drawback
(higher cost), is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
-Scott

running one could possibly push garbage into the other when not being used,
or even just into the other's drain tube, and could then dry and get clogged
up

not supposed to be good idea to run hot water through garbage disposals,
prematurely ages them (though hot water drained from dishwashers is often
routed through garbage disposals), you won't have a nongarbage disposal side
to run hot water through

more danger, more possibility for accident

running both at the same time could overwhelm your drain if you had a lot of
water in both sinks, unless they could be wired on one switch which would
turn one or the other on, but not both

some say draining a dishwasher through a garbage disposal makes it stay
cleaner, you'd have to y the dishwasher drain into both garbage disposals if
you wanted that arrangement

dishwasher drains into garbage disposals, if garbage disposals aren't kept
clean and drain line from dishwasher gets clogged up, dishwasher might not
drain properly etc., with two garbage disposals, you doublt the possibility

SQLit

"Scott" wrote in message
I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I use
the kitchen.

This is something I haven't seen before. Aside from the obvious drawback
(higher cost), is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
-Scott

It could be done, but your going to complicate the under the sink plumbing a
bunch depending on your layout. Biggest deal would be a lot less free room
under neath.
Why not get a commercial man eater with the 6 inch maw? I have connected 15
hp 3 phase garbage disposals for commercial kitchens. You sure would not
need two of them.

Jeff Wisnia

Scott wrote:
I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I use
the kitchen.

This is something I haven't seen before. Aside from the obvious drawback
(higher cost), is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
-Scott

Kosher kitchen perhaps?

I'm half way through reading this book, having purchased it when we went
to hear the author lecture on it last Sunday night:

Some of the modifications ultra observant jews do to their kitchens
(like installing dual dishwashers)are pretty far out. And, things like
microwave ovens and Teflon coated cookware weren't exactly commnplace a
few thousand years ago when those rules were first commanded and codified.

There's no fundamental technical reason why you can't install dual
disposals, and it shouldn't be very difficult either as long as the
drain holes in the two sinks are far apart so that there's clearance for
the bodies of the two disposals.

Depending on whether you're using existing wiring, if you get big ballsy
disposals, you might not be able to run them both at once without
tripping a circuit breaker. But, you could easily add a three way switch
to direct the electric power to only one disposal at a time to get
around that.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jeff Wisnia

effi wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I use
the kitchen.

This is something I haven't seen before. Aside from the obvious drawback
(higher cost), is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
-Scott

running one could possibly push garbage into the other when not being used,
or even just into the other's drain tube, and could then dry and get clogged
up

Maybe, but the intended function of a disposer is to grind up SMALL bits
of food washed off kitchenware, NOT to be stuffed full of potato
peelings, corncobs and other detrius by a lazy cook. That stuff properly
belongs in the kitchen garbage can, and it usually takes less time to
grab it and toss it in the can than it does for the disposal to get rid
of it, 'eh. If more folks used disposers properly they'd last longer and
clog less frequently.

not supposed to be good idea to run hot water through garbage disposals,
prematurely ages them

Aw, c'mon, pray tell us what parts of the disposal can get "aged" by hot
water? even the rotating seals are carbon on ceramic, so what's a few
more degrees of temperature going to do to a disposal? Is everyone with
a single sink and a disposal supposed to only wash stuff in it with cold
water?

(though hot water drained from dishwashers is often
routed through garbage disposals), you won't have a nongarbage disposal side
to run hot water through

more danger, more possibility for accident

So maybe using the same reasoning we should legislate that no household
can own more than one automobile?

running both at the same time could overwhelm your drain if you had a lot of
water in both sinks, unless they could be wired on one switch which would
turn one or the other on, but not both

What does "overwhelm" mean in this sense? Surely there's not enough
pressure created by a disposal to burst the drain pipes, is there?

some say draining a dishwasher through a garbage disposal makes it stay
cleaner, you'd have to y the dishwasher drain into both garbage disposals if
you wanted that arrangement

Yeah, but...

dishwasher drains into garbage disposals, if garbage disposals aren't kept
clean and drain line from dishwasher gets clogged up, dishwasher might not
drain properly etc., with two garbage disposals, you doublt the possibility

Surely you jest now...

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Terry

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Scott wrote:
I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I

use
the kitchen.

Had one once; unnecessary, never again.
Keep a used milk carton/container near sink and put 'non meat' leftovers
such as peelings, carrot tops, corn husks etc. in it.
When full, fold over and stick on a clothes pin to keep closed. Every few
days, no matter the weather, toss filled container onto compost heap.
Occasionally when outside shake out contents of carton/s onto compost and
chuck the now empty waxed paper milk carton into the burning barrel. Every
few weeks/months burn contents of barrel including other semi confidential
material, not that there re IS anything of interest in MY garbage! Taking
note of wind direction and/or washing on neighbours clothes lines!
Result; a small amount of ash and excellent garden compost next season!
And, provide you do not burn anything toxic and your compost is NOT used for
growing edible vegetables the ash can often be added to the much larger
quantity of compost. The presence of all those live worms that you found
around the garden and have previously put in the compost, crawling and
multiplying while they make good earth, will testify that the compost is
healthy and suitable for growing shrubs, trees and flowers!
I find that one uses two litres (that's approx a quart to the metrically
challenged among us) of milk, at about the same rate as usable compost
material accumulates. I'm a retired senior and cook for only myself.

John Hines

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

Wire it up on a Edison circuit, with a tied breaker. Has the effect of
running them (in series) on 240V, with the added advantage of being able
to shut them both off, safer when working on them.
effi

effi wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I
use
the kitchen.

This is something I haven't seen before. Aside from the obvious drawback
(higher cost), is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
-Scott

running one could possibly push garbage into the other when not being
used, or even just into the other's drain tube, and could then dry and
get clogged up

Maybe, but the intended function of a disposer is to grind up SMALL bits
of food washed off kitchenware, NOT to be stuffed full of potato peelings,
corncobs and other detrius by a lazy cook.

whole chickens have been through garbage disposals, garbage disposals are
commonly misused

That stuff properly belongs in the kitchen garbage can, and it usually
takes less time to grab it and toss it in the can than it does for the
disposal to get rid of it, 'eh. If more folks used disposers properly
they'd last longer and clog less frequently.

comment below

not supposed to be good idea to run hot water through garbage disposals,
prematurely ages them

Aw, c'mon, pray tell us what parts of the disposal can get "aged" by hot
water? even the rotating seals are carbon on ceramic, so what's a few more
degrees of temperature going to do to a disposal? Is everyone with a
single sink and a disposal supposed to only wash stuff in it with cold
water?

supposedly, the only thing that cools the garbage disposal motor is the
water runing through it

thus, supposedly, the motor will last longer if no hot water is run through
it during use

(though hot water drained from dishwashers is often
routed through garbage disposals), you won't have a nongarbage disposal
side to run hot water through

more danger, more possibility for accident

So maybe using the same reasoning we should legislate that no household
can own more than one automobile?

your humor is getting stale ; )

running both at the same time could overwhelm your drain if you had a lot
of water in both sinks, unless they could be wired on one switch which
would turn one or the other on, but not both

What does "overwhelm" mean in this sense? Surely there's not enough
pressure created by a disposal to burst the drain pipes, is there?

plonk!

some say draining a dishwasher through a garbage disposal makes it stay
cleaner, you'd have to y the dishwasher drain into both garbage disposals
if you wanted that arrangement

Yeah, but...

dishwasher drains into garbage disposals, if garbage disposals aren't
kept clean and drain line from dishwasher gets clogged up, dishwasher
might not drain properly etc., with two garbage disposals, you doublt the
possibility

Surely you jest now...

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Jeff Wisnia

Terry wrote:

snipped

I find that one uses two litres (that's approx a quart to the metrically
challenged among us) of milk,

anipped
I take it you include yourself in that challenged group Terry. Last time
I looked a litre was 1.06 quarts.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Terry

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

I take it you include yourself in that challenged group Terry. Last time
I looked a litre was 1.06 quarts.

Jeff is correct; since one litre is 2.11 PINTS (not quarts).
Then two litres = 4.22 pints which is a bit over two quarts!
I stand corrected; for trying to be smart without checking first! :-(
Thanks Jeff.
Seasonable greetings. Terry.

Hagrinas Mivali

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
effi wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

[...]

Just about any disposal manufacturer will tell you that their disposals will
handle all of this just fine, and will have no problem with most bones or
chicken carcasses either. If you check with your local solid waste disposal
agency (garbage collection company) you will find that they are making
efforts to reduce food waste in landfills.

The best thing to do is to save most of your food scraps for a compost bin.
In general terms, composting any leftover vegetables, fruits, etc, is easy
to do, and can be mixed in with your lawn clippings and leaves in your
compost bin. Or you can get a worm bin and compost other things too. Don't
cook more meat than you plan to eat, and give the scraps to your dogs or
pigs. You can throw away the dried bones, or use them for soup first.

Some things, such as egg shells, should never go into a disposal, because
they clog up things at the treatment plants. But most of the things
mentioned can go into a disposal with little trouble. It's best to minimize
food waste in the first place, and then compost as much as possible of
what's left. More progressive cities have a food scrap recycling program
too. But if you are going to dispose of those things in another way, check
with your local agencies to see what they prefer. If they are like mine,
they will tell you to use the disposal over the garbage can for
environmental reasons when it comes to some items. They will probably also
tell you to save your oils and fats in a jar and where you can take them
too. And they will tell you to avoid putting some things in the disposal if
at all possible.

A good general rule is to put nothing in the disposal or landfill, but it
may not be practical.

Don Wiss

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:38:38 -0330, Terry wrote:

Scott wrote:
I had an idea today about installing a second garbage disposal in my
kitchen, so I'd have one in either basin. It'd be swell for the way I use
the kitchen.

Had one once; unnecessary, never again.
Keep a used milk carton/container near sink and put 'non meat' leftovers
such as peelings, carrot tops, corn husks etc. in it.
When full, fold over and stick on a clothes pin to keep closed. Every few
days, no matter the weather, toss filled container onto compost heap.

Some people live in apartments. Not everybody can have a compost heap.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
Some people live in apartments. Not everybody can have a compost heap.

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Why not? They make window boxes for plants, just covert one to be your own
window ledge compost heap. Fresh compost available no matter what floor you
live on.

Only $19.95 . . .but wait. there's more . . . . . .

Michael Baugh

Edwin Pawlowski wrote in message
m...

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
Some people live in apartments. Not everybody can have a compost heap.

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Why not? They make window boxes for plants, just covert one to be your own
window ledge compost heap. Fresh compost available no matter what floor

you
live on.

Only $19.95 . . .but wait. there's more . . . . . .

That's right. Your new apartment buddies. The rats with fluffy tails.

Scott

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:45:19 -0600, John Hines wrote:

Wire it up on a Edison circuit, with a tied breaker. Has the effect of
running them (in series) on 240V, with the added advantage of being able
to shut them both off, safer when working on them.

That sounds dangerous. Is it code?

My disposal is socketed, not hardwired, which is my preference for safety.
If I stick with 5-20 sockets, this Edison circuit could concievably put 240v
across one of them. If I use 6-20 plugs, someone someday might think it's
OK to put 240v across a 120v disposal motor. Either way, not good.

At any rate, responses in this thread have been enlightening.

-Scott

Unable to open double fronted door sandiyan UK diy 5 August 8th 04 06:07 PM
load bearing double glazing TP UK diy 6 July 4th 04 12:00 PM
Fitting a double glazed window in a oak door using? rob w UK diy 3 May 10th 04 12:33 PM
Intruder alarm Double Knock facility? Rafal UK diy 8 May 4th 04 01:18 AM
Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame James W UK diy 29 February 1st 04 11:58 AM