John Hines

(Scott) wrote:

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:45:19 -0600, John Hines wrote:

Wire it up on a Edison circuit, with a tied breaker. Has the effect of
running them (in series) on 240V, with the added advantage of being able
to shut them both off, safer when working on them.

That sounds dangerous. Is it code?

Yes it is. Fairly common actually.

My disposal is socketed, not hardwired, which is my preference for safety.
If I stick with 5-20 sockets, this Edison circuit could concievably put 240v
across one of them. If I use 6-20 plugs, someone someday might think it's
OK to put 240v across a 120v disposal motor. Either way, not good.

The only difference is that only one neutral wire is used, instead of
two. You still use the same socket, just break the tie bar between the
two hots in the socket.

Using a tied breaker will make it obvious what is going on, as well as
safer, with one breaker to shut off both disposals.