Eric

Default how to determine age of refrigerator

I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it
is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of
identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of the
repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker they
could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit?
Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is
9522681AD0477

Thanks
Eric

Mark and Kim Smith

Eric wrote:

I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it
is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of
identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of the
repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker they
could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit?
Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is
9522681AD0477

Thanks
Eric

Have you looked inside the doors and compartments for a tag?

Mr Pounder

"Eric" wrote in message
newspMpd.149123$HA.135161@attbi_s01...
I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it
is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of
identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of

the
repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker they
could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit?
Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is
9522681AD0477

Thanks
Eric

Remove the thermostat, there should be a date stamped on it.

Mr Pounder

Eric

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Eric wrote:

I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it
is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of
identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of
the repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker
they could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself.
Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit?
Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is
9522681AD0477

Thanks
Eric

Have you looked inside the doors and compartments for a tag?

Yup, cant find anything with a date
Eric

Eric

Mr Pounder wrote:

"Eric" wrote in message
newspMpd.149123$HA.135161@attbi_s01...
I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it
is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of
identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of

the
repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker they
could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit?
Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is
9522681AD0477

Thanks
Eric

Remove the thermostat, there should be a date stamped on it.

Mr Pounder

Interesting, i'll try that
Eric

Dave Harnish

Hi Eric,

If it's older than just a few years, you determine this from
the model number's 1st and 3rd digits following the decimal
point. Example: 106.8619222 is a Whirlpool-mfg'd 1981
model. The 3 digits before the decimal tell us who actually
manufactured the refrig (Sears doesn't make any themselves).
The Kenmore refrig prefixes that come to mind a

106 - Whirlpool
363 - GE
253 - Frigidaire (Electrolux)
596 - Amana
564 - Sanyo (mostly compacts)

Newer ones are coded in the serial number, and it's more
complicated.

Hope that helps. Probably more than you ever wanted to
know grin...

God bless,

Dave Harnish
Dave's Repair Service
New Albany, PA
www.DavesRepair.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair
technician! Get your monthly email newsletter he
(Back issues now posted too!)
www.DavesRepair.com

John 3:3

"Eric" wrote in message
newspMpd.149123$HA.135161@attbi_s01...
I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it
is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of
identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of

the
repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker they
could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself. Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit?
Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is
9522681AD0477

Thanks
Eric

Eric

Dave Harnish wrote:

Hi Eric,

If it's older than just a few years, you determine this from
the model number's 1st and 3rd digits following the decimal
point. Example: 106.8619222 is a Whirlpool-mfg'd 1981
model. The 3 digits before the decimal tell us who actually
manufactured the refrig (Sears doesn't make any themselves).
The Kenmore refrig prefixes that come to mind a

Well, if i assume the number i got didnt have the leading stuff before the
decimal point, and i use your 1st and 3rd method that would make it a 1992
model. sounds close to me based on what i know about it.
I'm going to look further for a tag of some sort when the wife isnt around
as she doesnt like me pulling it out from its little alcove.
Thanks
Eric

Mad Mac

Eric wrote:

I'm going to look further for a tag of some sort when the wife isnt around
as she doesnt like me pulling it out from its little alcove.
Thanks
Eric

You shouldn't have to pull it out - there should be some kind of label
or plate with model and serial number visible either:

Inside the refrigerator compartment

On the grille under the doors (I've seen this on older units)
Eric

Eric wrote:

I have a sears side by side fridge and I'm trying to determine how old it
is. I called Sears 366-part and they told me they would have no way of
identifying the refrigerator and that they only deal in part numbers of
the repair parts for it, so if i have a part number of say the ice maker
they could order that but they dont have any info on the unit itself.
Weird.

Anyone have any ideas on how to determine the age of this unit?
Part number on the back of the fridge on a large bar code sticker is
9522681AD0477

Thanks
Eric

Well, i found the sticker, it was hidden by a food drawer
It says: Model 363.9522681 Serial L228 10495
I dont see any indication of a date there at all not even a copyright date
but using the 1.3 method it appears to be a 1992 model. www3.Sears.com
lists the model and i can buy parts for it but again there is nothing there
indicating how old it might be.
Thanks all
Eric

Mad Mac

Eric wrote:

Well, i found the sticker, it was hidden by a food drawer
It says: Model 363.9522681 Serial L228 10495

OK, now we know you have a GE manufactured unit (363=GE).

This link http://www.applianceaid.com/age_usaGE.html

gives a guide as to how to find out the age of GE appliances - however,
your serial number doesn't fit the pattern. Can you re-check?
Rich

"Eric" wrote in message
Eric wrote:

[...]

My guess is the 10495=10/04/1995? I have seen many date codes like this..
Good luck.

Eric

Mad Mac wrote:

Eric wrote:

Well, i found the sticker, it was hidden by a food drawer
It says: Model 363.9522681 Serial L228 10495

OK, now we know you have a GE manufactured unit (363=GE).

This link http://www.applianceaid.com/age_usaGE.html

gives a guide as to how to find out the age of GE appliances - however,
your serial number doesn't fit the pattern. Can you re-check?

Its a Kenmore, unless you mean it was made by GE for Sears and they just cll
it a Kenmore?
Eric

Eric

Mad Mac wrote:

Eric wrote:

Well, i found the sticker, it was hidden by a food drawer
It says: Model 363.9522681 Serial L228 10495

OK, now we know you have a GE manufactured unit (363=GE).

This link http://www.applianceaid.com/age_usaGE.html

gives a guide as to how to find out the age of GE appliances - however,
your serial number doesn't fit the pattern. Can you re-check?

Hi,
I went and rechecked the Serial number, i had it correct.
Its just L228 10495
also, i read through a lot of the website you mentioned, i see Kenmore is
really a GE like you said. I didnt know that.
Eric

willshak

On 11/28/2004 1:40 AM US(ET), Eric took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

Mad Mac wrote:

Eric wrote:

Well, i found the sticker, it was hidden by a food drawer
It says: Model 363.9522681 Serial L228 10495

OK, now we know you have a GE manufactured unit (363=GE).

This link http://www.applianceaid.com/age_usaGE.html

gives a guide as to how to find out the age of GE appliances - however,
your serial number doesn't fit the pattern. Can you re-check?

Its a Kenmore, unless you mean it was made by GE for Sears and they just cll
it a Kenmore?
Eric

Sears does not manufacture appliances. They have other appliance
companies make the appliances and stick a Sears brand name on them.
The first three numbers in any Sears model number indicates the original
manufacturer.
In your case, "363." indicates that the Kenmore was actually made by GE,
therefore GE parts are to be used.

wideglide01

Previously in alt.home.repair, Eric proclaimed
:

Mad Mac wrote:

Eric wrote:

Well, i found the sticker, it was hidden by a food drawer
It says: Model 363.9522681 Serial L228 10495

OK, now we know you have a GE manufactured unit (363=GE).

This link http://www.applianceaid.com/age_usaGE.html

gives a guide as to how to find out the age of GE appliances - however,
your serial number doesn't fit the pattern. Can you re-check?

Its a Kenmore, unless you mean it was made by GE for Sears and they just cll
it a Kenmore?
Eric

Interesting site. I have an old GE refrig down in the basement that
came with the house and have no doubt that it's much older than 1980
(the oldest that the site above references GE appliances).

Anyone know a site that I can look up a serial number for a refrig
manufactured prior to 1980?

The serial number I'm trying to look up is: PW662378, Model # TA244WD

It's *old* but dang if that thing just keeps on running. Only problem
I have is having to manually defrost it about every 6-8 months but
besides that, it's been nearly indestructible. It's a weird, almost
pink color but what the hell, it keeps my beer and sodas cold. ;-)

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Unknown
Remove "die spammers" to email
jeff

wideglide01 wrote in message . ..

Interesting site. I have an old GE refrig down in the basement that
came with the house and have no doubt that it's much older than 1980
(the oldest that the site above references GE appliances).

Anyone know a site that I can look up a serial number for a refrig
manufactured prior to 1980?

The serial number I'm trying to look up is: PW662378, Model # TA244WD

It's *old* but dang if that thing just keeps on running. Only problem
I have is having to manually defrost it about every 6-8 months but
besides that, it's been nearly indestructible. It's a weird, almost
pink color but what the hell, it keeps my beer and sodas cold. ;-)

Hi,

Most on-line records don't go back further than approx 1980 for a lot
of the appliance info on manufacturing dates. You will probably need
to call GE themselves to see if they can ID the manufacturing date.

There are some resoration companies that may also help...
http://www.appliance411.com/links/Restoration/

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/