SQLit

"Bob_M" wrote in message
news:1097451233.DgU1xi7fVtE6BBGZjW+VXA@teranews...
We line in the country with a well that has water with iron and
manganese and also smells like bad eggs. We also have a septic
system.

Years ago (25 or so) we investigated this and had installed exchange
tanks for water treatment. Our town is now planning on installing
sewers so once and for all we can plan on getting rid of the septic
issues.

Therefore I am now interesting in installing a water treatment system
that will handle my whole house and be self seviceable (i.e.:
backwash, etc.).

Have any of your contractors or homeowners have recommendations as to
what are good solutions/brands and what we should stay away from?

Thanks in advance all.

Bob

Get your water tested and then choose an unit. Anything here would be a WAG

---

Michael Baugh

Here are some comments to take into consideration.
http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/11360.html
If I were doing it, I would likely avoid RainSoft, would consider
US Filter, and would seek a Consumer's Report on water softeners.

Bob_M wrote in message
We line in the country with a well that has water with iron and
manganese and also smells like bad eggs. We also have a septic
system.

Years ago (25 or so) we investigated this and had installed exchange
tanks for water treatment. Our town is now planning on installing
sewers so once and for all we can plan on getting rid of the septic
issues.

Therefore I am now interesting in installing a water treatment system
that will handle my whole house and be self seviceable (i.e.:
backwash, etc.).

Have any of your contractors or homeowners have recommendations as to
what are good solutions/brands and what we should stay away from?

Thanks in advance all.

Bob

1_Patriotic_Guy

Now you've got me intrigued. I always was told not to use a water softener
in the country
(because it messes with the bacteria balance in the septic system). I've
met folks who had city water and a septic system; but never knew anyone on a
private well with city sewer hook-ups. Are you?
My mother-in-law has city water and a septic tank. She would love to
use a water softener (mainly for her clothes and dishwasher). But I have
always echoed what I heard from septic tank professionals and owners -- that
it killed the bacteria in the septic tank causing the recycling process to
break down, which results either in raw sewage being flushed from the tank
because of excessive water flow or in sewage build-up and blockage,
requiring a frequent pumping of the tank (currently her system runs so well
that she never has to have it pumped).

"Bob_M" wrote in message
We line in the country with a well that has water with iron and
manganese and also smells like bad eggs. We also have a septic
system.

Years ago (25 or so) we investigated this and had installed exchange
tanks for water treatment. Our town is now planning on installing
sewers so once and for all we can plan on getting rid of the septic
issues.

Therefore I am now interesting in installing a water treatment system
that will handle my whole house and be self seviceable (i.e.:
backwash, etc.).

Have any of your contractors or homeowners have recommendations as to
what are good solutions/brands and what we should stay away from?

Thanks in advance all.

Bob

Spud

The agar culture used to grow bacteria in the laboratory is saline

The University of Wisconsin and the National Sanitation Foundation reports
The addition of sodium to a septic system by use of soft water actually has
beneficial effects on the digestion of wastes by bacteria. The volume of
wastes from water softeners (about 50 gallons per regeneration) are added to
the septic tank slowly and are not of sufficient volume to cause any
deleterious hydraulic load problems. In fact, they are lower in volume and
rate of addition than wastes from automatic washers. And the calcium and
magnesium in softener regeneration wastes contribute to good air and water
movement (improved soil percolation) through the septic system drainage
field.
when the sodium content from the softener regeneration cycle is discharged
into the soil via a septic system along with other salts such as calcium,
magnesium, and iron the result is an improvement in the soil's percolation
rather than a detriment.
The homeowner uses less soap -- studies have indicated as much as 50% to 75%
less
BUT (currently her system runs so well that she never has to have it
pumped).
When she does need it pumped it will be to late
pumped now or Pumped and new system installed later
at least you ccan say it wasn't the water sofener
also not pumping the system at proper intervals allows detergent solids, as
well as other solids, to be carried over into the drainage area causing
clogging.

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
[...]

1_Patriotic_Guy

Spud,
I'm even more intrigued. Are you in the septic pumping business? When
you mentioned pumping and too late, I got confused. Mom's system was
installed in 1968 and is in my best guess a 5000 gallon stainless steel
tank. It has never been pumped.
The last time I serviced it, I put an aerorator (which essentially looks
like a fishing trolling motor on a stick that churns the sludge to aid it in
mixing the bacteria to break down faster) back into operation and added a
white powder (would appreciate someone suggesting branded names) purchased
at the local hardware store that was also supposed to aid the process of
accelerating bacteria breaking down solid waste.
My perception is that there really are only minute amounts (maybe one part
per million) of solids going into the system. What we commonly call solid
waste is really human manure, a soft-solid which actually breaks down 100%
into pure liquid water after being eaten literally by the bacteria in the
septic tank. The only solids are minute amounts of iron in the water or
similar solids. The toilet paper always seems to totally
disappear/disintegrate. My guess is it would take several hundred or
perhaps a thousand years for these metals to accumulate. In reality most of
them probably stay in solution and filter back into the back yard in what
looks like clear water.
Also, I'm told pumping actually removes the bacteria needed to break down
the waste. I can understand why one would pump if the tank is too small for
the family size or is out of bacteria balance and isn't breaking down the
waste.
My questions are this:
1) How often should a tank be pumped? I imagine it varies based on size.
How do I tell that it needs to be pumped?
2) What are the names of additives to help make the septic system run right
and how often do folks add them?
3) The trolling motor aerorator always seems to pop its local circuit
breaker in between my visits home. Is it really necessary. What percentage
of septic tanks have this feature?

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM