Spud

The agar culture used to grow bacteria in the laboratory is saline

The University of Wisconsin and the National Sanitation Foundation reports
The addition of sodium to a septic system by use of soft water actually has
beneficial effects on the digestion of wastes by bacteria. The volume of
wastes from water softeners (about 50 gallons per regeneration) are added to
the septic tank slowly and are not of sufficient volume to cause any
deleterious hydraulic load problems. In fact, they are lower in volume and
rate of addition than wastes from automatic washers. And the calcium and
magnesium in softener regeneration wastes contribute to good air and water
movement (improved soil percolation) through the septic system drainage
field.
when the sodium content from the softener regeneration cycle is discharged
into the soil via a septic system along with other salts such as calcium,
magnesium, and iron the result is an improvement in the soil's percolation
rather than a detriment.
The homeowner uses less soap -- studies have indicated as much as 50% to 75%
less
BUT (currently her system runs so well that she never has to have it
pumped).
When she does need it pumped it will be to late
pumped now or Pumped and new system installed later
at least you ccan say it wasn't the water sofener
also not pumping the system at proper intervals allows detergent solids, as
well as other solids, to be carried over into the drainage area causing
clogging.

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
Now you've got me intrigued. I always was told not to use a water
softener in the country
(because it messes with the bacteria balance in the septic system).
I've met folks who had city water and a septic system; but never knew
anyone on a private well with city sewer hook-ups. Are you?
My mother-in-law has city water and a septic tank. She would
love to use a water softener (mainly for her clothes and dishwasher).
But I have always echoed what I heard from septic tank professionals
and owners -- that it killed the bacteria in the septic tank causing
the recycling process to break down, which results either in raw
sewage being flushed from the tank because of excessive water flow or
in sewage build-up and blockage, requiring a frequent pumping of the
tank (currently her system runs so well that she never has to have it
pumped).