1_Patriotic_Guy

Now you've got me intrigued. I always was told not to use a water softener
in the country
(because it messes with the bacteria balance in the septic system). I've
met folks who had city water and a septic system; but never knew anyone on a
private well with city sewer hook-ups. Are you?
My mother-in-law has city water and a septic tank. She would love to
use a water softener (mainly for her clothes and dishwasher). But I have
always echoed what I heard from septic tank professionals and owners -- that
it killed the bacteria in the septic tank causing the recycling process to
break down, which results either in raw sewage being flushed from the tank
because of excessive water flow or in sewage build-up and blockage,
requiring a frequent pumping of the tank (currently her system runs so well
that she never has to have it pumped).

"Bob_M" wrote in message
We line in the country with a well that has water with iron and
manganese and also smells like bad eggs. We also have a septic
system.

Years ago (25 or so) we investigated this and had installed exchange
tanks for water treatment. Our town is now planning on installing
sewers so once and for all we can plan on getting rid of the septic
issues.

Therefore I am now interesting in installing a water treatment system
that will handle my whole house and be self seviceable (i.e.:
backwash, etc.).

Have any of your contractors or homeowners have recommendations as to
what are good solutions/brands and what we should stay away from?

Thanks in advance all.

Bob