Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much does Discovery+ suck?

Heres a list of some of the technical issues with the Discovery+
streaming service. Im a couple of weeks into my free 6 month
trial and so far Im not impressed at all. Ive experienced many
of these issues, on different devices, including smart TVs and
Fire sticks.

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en...chnical-Issues

I consider myself technologically savvy, but that doesnt mean that -
even though I can - I want to go through all the cache clears, app
reinstalls, router resets, etc. suggested as *possible* fixes.

Worst part is when its not even me thats watching, like when it crashes
while SWMBO is watching. I have to drop what Im doing and fix it for her.

Based on my experience so far, theres no way Id pay for this service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:16:42 AM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
Heres a list of some of the technical issues with the Discovery+
streaming service. Im a couple of weeks into my free 6 month
trial and so far Im not impressed at all. Ive experienced many
of these issues, on different devices, including smart TVs and
Fire sticks.

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en...chnical-Issues

I consider myself technologically savvy, but that doesnt mean that -
even though I can - I want to go through all the cache clears, app
reinstalls, router resets, etc. suggested as *possible* fixes.

Worst part is when its not even me thats watching, like when it crashes
while SWMBO is watching. I have to drop what Im doing and fix it for her.

Based on my experience so far, theres no way Id pay for this service.

We've been using Discovery+ for several months, and I don't recall any
issues. Or at least no more so than any other streaming interface. To
me, it seems like HBO Max is the most prone to getting itself locked up.

We watch exclusively on a Samsung smart TV.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2021 9:16 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
Heres a list of some of the technical issues with the Discovery+
streaming service. Im a couple of weeks into my free 6 month
trial and so far Im not impressed at all. Ive experienced many
of these issues, on different devices, including smart TVs and
Fire sticks.

https://help.discoveryplus.com/hc/en...chnical-Issues

I consider myself technologically savvy, but that doesnt mean that -
even though I can - I want to go through all the cache clears, app
reinstalls, router resets, etc. suggested as *possible* fixes.

Worst part is when its not even me thats watching, like when it crashes
while SWMBO is watching. I have to drop what Im doing and fix it for her.

Based on my experience so far, theres no way Id pay for this service.

I'm not a heavy uses but for the few months I've had it, no problem. I
use my Fire TV to access it. I signed up for the commercial free, worth
the few bucks a month to avoid them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2021 09:47:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

My son subscribes to every streaming service that I've heard of and he
shares his logins with us. We watch exclusively through Roku devices and
haven't had issues with any of the streaming services.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:29:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I'm glad it's working out for you, I think.

You don't recall *any* issues but at the same time the problem frequency is
"no more so than any other streaming interface". So which is it? No issues
at all or some issues?

Either way, the issues I am having appear to be common enough that they are
mentioned on a website dedicated to a host of problems. My favorite was the
DRM error. I had "How It's Made" streaming for a few hours, kind of as background
noise while I was doing stuff around the house. Suddenly the sound stopped, so
the next time I passed the TV I took a look.

I had a DRM (Digital Rights Management) error and some verbiage about a "problem
playing protected content". Huh? The same show had been playing for hours, episode
after episode. I turned off the TV, turned it back on and continued watching "How It's
Made" for a few more hours. What happened to the "protected content" issue? Poof...
gone.

DAGS 'discoveryplus problems'. It ain't just me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2021 19:35:58 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
wrote:

[...]

That sounds like an HDCP error. IOW, local to you. Check your HDMI
connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:36:02 PM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

I don't recall any issues. It's possible there were issues that I don't recall.
Therefore, I consider it comparable to other streaming services. The occasional
nuisance lockup, perhaps, but not enough for me to say it sucks.

Either way, the issues I am having appear to be common enough that they are
mentioned on a website dedicated to a host of problems. My favorite was the
DRM error. I had "How It's Made" streaming for a few hours, kind of as background
noise while I was doing stuff around the house. Suddenly the sound stopped, so
the next time I passed the TV I took a look.

I had a DRM (Digital Rights Management) error and some verbiage about a "problem
playing protected content". Huh? The same show had been playing for hours, episode
after episode. I turned off the TV, turned it back on and continued watching "How It's
Made" for a few more hours. What happened to the "protected content" issue? Poof...
gone.

DAGS 'discoveryplus problems'. It ain't just me.

It ain't me, though.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it were an HDMI issue, I'd expect it to happen more than once. So far, that's
not happening. Just the one time, and nothing changed before or after that error
showed up. No other issues with any other app on my Fire Stick.

Last night I got both of these errors within hours of each other. Both errors occurred
in the middle of shows, i.e. not when I was just starting to to access a show or video.

https://i.imgur.com/rdiclQL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cX85FK5.jpg

In neither case did "Try again" work. In both cases, going Home on my Fire Stick
and then re-opening Discover + resolved the issue. That's always the fix on that
TV.

On my Smart TV (Samsung, hardwired to the router) choosing Source and choosing
the D+ app (again) usually solves any issue. However, on that TV, the Rewind and Fast
Forward features are really cumbersome. The 10 second feature does nothing. In addition,
unlike my cable DVR box, you can't tell where you are moving to. If you want to replay a
scene, but you don't know when it was, you have to hunt and peck and hope you find it. At
least with YouTube you get a still image so you have a general idea of where you are headed.
With D+ all I can set is the rewind speed, but I have no idea where it is going to land.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Your description of the error, and the corrective action, is what makes it
look like an HDCP error. (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)

HDCP is a handshaking protocol, where two connected HDMI devices ask each
other to produce their license before they continue to use the HDMI
connection. The HDCP handshake should happen very quickly and
transparently, but when it fails you see an error message about not being
able to play DRM content, or something to the effect of not being able to
play copy-protected content. There are multiple ways to reinitialize the
HDCP handshake, including the power cycling that you mentioned above.

HDCP errors usually occur at the very beginning of DRM playback, but I've
seen reports of them happening at any time during playback, so my guess is
that the HDCP handshake is periodically reaccomplished during playback.

If HDCP is indeed the culprit, there are a couple of ways to fix it. First,
don't use HDMI. Component video, for example, offers the same video quality
as HDMI but without the HDCP. Or, as the article linked below shows, you
can insert a cheap HDMI splitter into the link that goes to your TV.
Normally, though, it's just a bad HDMI cable or flaky HDMI connections at
either end.

https://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg...how-to-fix-it/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the explanation. It wasn't needed since I know what HDCP is, but thanks anyway.

The cables I use are quality HDMI cables that have never exhibited any issues until
Digital+ was installed. If I wasn't experiencing other issues, and on more than one TV, I
wouldn't be so skeptical about it being a cable problem.

In any case, I shouldn't have to buy new hardware or reconfigure my set-ups just to
accommodate an app that is known to have all sorts of varying issues. Like I said,
I'm in the first few weeks of a free trial. If the issues continue, I'll just let the subscription
lapse. I have no desire to fight with a flaky app on multiple devices. Maybe they will have
figured out why so many people are complaining about it by the time my trial ends. We'll
see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 12:25:05 -0500, Jim Joyce posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

If it's flaky connections then get stabilent 22 that clare synder posted.
Works, great

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 May 2021 09:47:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

You mean they charge and have ads too?
I won't go for this because there annoying ads on the regular channel or
repeats.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 5:08:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

$4.99/month with commercials, $6.99 without.

All else aside, the price is right and the extra $2/month is well worth it - until
they suck enough people in and then start slowly ratcheting up the subscription
fee.

Granted, there's a lot of crap to sort through. If I want to watch 600 lb
people waddle around, I'll go to Wally World and listen to the scooters
complain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK, no problem. I hope things smooth out for you. I'm not seeing any issues
here, with D+ or any of the other major streaming services.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, thats the thing. If I was having issues with any other apps, Id say that
my equipment was at fault, but its only D+.

Just this afternoon, on the hardwired TV, (not the one with the DRM issue)
I was watching Homicide Hunter. The episodes just flow one right after the
other, usually. This time, one episode ended, the next one started but after
the first few seconds, the white circle showed up and it sat there spinning
for at least 5 minutes until I decided to shut it off and go do something else.

https://i.imgur.com/lstQbk3.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2021 5:08 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

Two plans. 4.99 with commercials, 7.99 with no commercials. I'm
willing to pay $3 to watch without them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2021 5:22 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

Correct, I posted 7.00 but it is 6.99

https://www.discoveryplus.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 21:00:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

Whatta bargin!

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/02/2021 02:49 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

[...]

I didn't have the sound on but the TV on the stair climber at the gym
was hawking Discovery+ constantly.

I usually turn it off but there was a show on about buying cheap, and I
mean $5000, houses in Detroit, fixing them up and reselling them. I've
seen chicken coops that were more livable than some of them but after
putting $60,000 in they figured they could move it for $80,000.

i don't know what neighborhoods they were in but I didn't see a mount
for a Ma Deuce on the front porch to handle the traditional Detroit
trick or treaters.

Sorry if I strayed to close to home repair. The guys were getting a lot
of use out of sledge hammers and Sawzalls. Personally I would have went
with 5 gallons of Citgo's finest and a fresh start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 22:08:35 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

On 06/02/2021 02:49 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

I didn't have the sound on but the TV on the stair climber at the gym
was hawking Discovery+ constantly.

I usually turn it off but there was a show on about buying cheap, and I
mean $5000, houses in Detroit,

If there ONLY were a way to turn your gob off! tsk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 12:08:43 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
[...]

This Old House did a season in Detroit a few years ago:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/detroit-house

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/21 12:08 AM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Windows on a Detroit house are covered with plywood...and not because of MAGA hatters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 4:40:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Cindy Hamiltony

My cable system has the show Flipping Vegas. It's a husband and wife team. The guy
is the jerk hollering about cost to the contractors and the wife's overspending on the upgrades.
Everything gets fixed just in time for the realtor to show up for the open house. The realtors look
like they are matured versions of Hooters girls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2021 8:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I'm not a heavy uses but for the few months I've had it, no problem.Â* I
use my Fire TV to access it.Â* I signed up for the commercial free, worth
the few bucks a month to avoid them

You mean they charge and have ads too?
I won't go for this because there annoying ads on the regular channel or
repeats.

Two plans.Â* 4.99 with commercials, 7.99 with no commercials.Â* I'm
willing to pay $3 to watch without them

If I plan to watch a show with commercials I DVR it and watch later fast
forwarding through the commercials. You cannot do this streaming.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/03/2021 03:40 AM, wrote:
[...]

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/bargain-block

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/det...-help-them-out

I don't know enough about Detroit's neighborhoods, but some of the
houses I saw in a 30 minute segment were incredible, and not in a good
way. The guys start ripping out the interior walls or what's left of
them. One needed an exterior wall to cover a gaping hole. In one he was
ripping up the floor boards down to the joists, which didn't look all
that healthy. Buy it for $5000, put in $60000 worth of material, and try
to flip it for $80000.

I have to wonder if the $80000 is going to come from some federally
funded slush fund. I don't see a bank buying into a renovated house
that's the high spot on a block of derelicts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 08:08:20 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I don't know enough about Detroit's neighborhoods, but some of the
houses I saw in a 30 minute segment were incredible, and not in a good

I know that you don't know enough about Detroit's neighourhoods, but you
will gossip and blather about it anyway! Right? LOL

FLUSH the rest of the ensuing Detroit gossip unread LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 03:55:48 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

+1 I watched that, for the salespeople they could probably sell an igloo to
Eskimo if the victims wife wasn't there. Another version of flip or flop, this
show was ok until the marriage failed. It showed how cheap the labor market out
there was.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 08:08:20 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 06/03/2021 03:40 AM, wrote:
[...]

Me neither. I understand someone would like a nice house but having a crack
house next door sorta limits the merits.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 02:40:32 -0700 (PDT), posted for all
of us to digest...

This Old House did a season in Detroit a few years ago:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/detroit-house

Cindy Hamilton

Yeah, but they start with homes that need a rehab and have affluent owners.
They should go to Appalachia and rebuild the whole town with what they spend
for fru-fru.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Nicole Curtis has done a couple of her programs in Detroit. Rehab Addict
and Rehab Addict:Rescue are located there and there may be others. When she
describes the neighborhood in enough detail, or when the camera happens to
pan across the street signs, I like to check Google Maps to see where she's
at. The street view and satellite view are interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2021 7:49 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

forwarding through the commercials.Â* You cannot do this streaming.

In regular cable, the only thing I watch in real time is the news.
Everything else is DVR at my leisure to watch. Makes anything much more
enjoyable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 6/3/2021 7:49 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

I dont even watch the news in real time anymore,
I prefer the text based news like
https://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/
http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/rss.xml?edition=uk

I do watch the election eve vote count live, but normally
watch the public broadcaster which has no ads at all.

Everything else is DVR at my leisure to watch. Makes anything much more
enjoyable.

Yep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 07:54:08 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

NOBDY gives a **** what you do or prefer, senile asshole troll! LOL

--
JimK addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last few