Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics

Default Does a capital ship sinking actually SUCK a swimmer down to drown?

M. Stradbury wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:51:29 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Like toilet bowl water swirls.

A toilet bowl is too small to show the Coriolis effect, but a pool
isn't according to Sandlin and Muller.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/04/water.../#vRjaqfm0bSqs
"Derek Muller and Destin Sandlin, the minds behind the Veritasium and
Smarter Every Day YouTube channels, respectively, do show that water
(and even hurricanes or cycloness) preferentially spins
counter-clockwise in the north and clockwise in the south, you just
might not be able to see it with your toilet water."

I just flushed both my toilets. One went clockwise. The other went
counterclockwise. QED.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics

Dne 22/12/2015 v 17:19 Bob F napsal(a):
M. Stradbury wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:51:29 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Like toilet bowl water swirls.

A toilet bowl is too small to show the Coriolis effect, but a pool
isn't according to Sandlin and Muller.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/04/water.../#vRjaqfm0bSqs
"Derek Muller and Destin Sandlin, the minds behind the Veritasium and
Smarter Every Day YouTube channels, respectively, do show that water
(and even hurricanes or cycloness) preferentially spins
counter-clockwise in the north and clockwise in the south, you just
might not be able to see it with your toilet water."

I just flushed both my toilets. One went clockwise. The other went
counterclockwise. QED.

There are too strong forces, fast current speeds
and random turbulent processes
for Coriolis force to have any effect.

--
Poutnik ( the Czech word for a wanderer )

Knowledge makes great men humble, but small men arrogant.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics

M. Stradbury wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:51:29 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Like toilet bowl water swirls.

A toilet bowl is too small to show the Coriolis effect, but a pool
isn't according to Sandlin and Muller.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/04/water.../#vRjaqfm0bSqs
"Derek Muller and Destin Sandlin, the minds behind the Veritasium and
Smarter Every Day YouTube channels, respectively, do show that water
(and even hurricanes or cycloness) preferentially spins
counter-clockwise in the north and clockwise in the south, you just
might not be able to see it with your toilet water."

I just flushed both my toilets. One went clockwise. The other went
counterclockwise. QED.

There are too strong forces, fast current speeds
and random turbulent processes
for Coriolis force to have any effect.

When I was in Ecuador, I did my own test. Quite a bit north of the equator,
I filled a wash basin with water and pulled the plug. The water swirled one
way.

AT the equator, I did the same thing, and the water just drained.

A bit south of the equator, I did the same thing, and there wasn't much of
interest.

Further south of the equator, I did the same thing, and the water swirled
the opposite way.

I eliminated water current, toilet bowl rim jet patterns, etc.

Q.E.D.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 08:19:12 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

M. Stradbury wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:51:29 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Like toilet bowl water swirls.

A toilet bowl is too small to show the Coriolis effect, but a pool
isn't according to Sandlin and Muller.

http://mashable.com/2015/06/04/water.../#vRjaqfm0bSqs
"Derek Muller and Destin Sandlin, the minds behind the Veritasium and
Smarter Every Day YouTube channels, respectively, do show that water
(and even hurricanes or cycloness) preferentially spins
counter-clockwise in the north and clockwise in the south, you just
might not be able to see it with your toilet water."

I just flushed both my toilets. One went clockwise. The other went
counterclockwise. QED.

Not surprising. Normally, quality home builders will put in a CW
toilet and a CCW toilet because if they were both the same direction
and both got flushed at once, it can damage the connection where the
house sits on the foundation. If you buy a home already built, you
should make sure your toilets are opposite each other, or you should
be careful not to flush both at once.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics

On 12/23/2015 3:08 AM, Micky wrote:
On 22 Dec 2015 "Bob F" wrote:
M. Stradbury wrote:
[...]

I have never heard anything like that in all my years (50 of them) of
construction, nor have I heard it from the plumbers to whom I have
talked. If flushing a toilet can damage "connections" we better start
building things a lot better.

--
dvus

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics

Dne 23/12/2015 v 11:23 dvus napsal(a):
On 12/23/2015 3:08 AM, Micky wrote:

Not surprising. Normally, quality home builders will put in a CW
toilet and a CCW toilet because if they were both the same direction
and both got flushed at once, it can damage the connection where the
house sits on the foundation. If you buy a home already built, you
should make sure your toilets are opposite each other, or you should
be careful not to flush both at once.

I have never heard anything like that in all my years (50 of them) of
construction, nor have I heard it from the plumbers to whom I have
talked. If flushing a toilet can damage "connections" we better start
building things a lot better.

It rather looks like you became a joke victim.
Due random turbulent effects, the result of the toilet splash
is random as well.

What may be the issue
is the design of plumbing wrt the capacity.

If all guests of multi floor hotel
got diarrhea after eating "salmonellized" dinner...

--
Poutnik ( the Czech word for a wanderer )

Knowledge makes great men humble, but small men arrogant.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Does the Bounty count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_(1960_ship)

This was lost during Sandy and many died. There is a really well done book detailing the last voyage. People did get caught in rigging.