Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Does Purpleheart suck?

I got a slab of 8/4 purpleheart, and after a few weeks of sitting there
I notice there's a lot of splitting especially on one end. I have it in
a cool dry environment at a fairly stable temperature.

Is this normal for purpleheart? Does it often split and check at the end?

I'm going to lose (I think) around a third of this board.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave In WA

I would have sealed the end, but that's a lesson for next time, you could
cut your losses and seal now.

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:auSdndWHAeMQm9bZnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@forethought. net...
I got a slab of 8/4 purpleheart, and after a few weeks of sitting there
I notice there's a lot of splitting especially on one end. I have it in
a cool dry environment at a fairly stable temperature.

Is this normal for purpleheart? Does it often split and check at the end?

I'm going to lose (I think) around a third of this board.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:auSdndWHAeMQm9bZnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@forethought. net...
I got a slab of 8/4 purpleheart, and after a few weeks of sitting there
I notice there's a lot of splitting especially on one end. I have it in
a cool dry environment at a fairly stable temperature.

Is this normal for purpleheart? Does it often split and check at the end?

I'm going to lose (I think) around a third of this board.

Don't know anything about purpleheart, sorry.
I had a large piece of mahogany, one third of it was split. I cut the split
part off, and glued the two split parts together. Good as new.
Might not be applicable to you if you have multiple splits.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

I think that is unusual, I have an 8/4 plank in my shop that I've been
waiting to find out what it wants to be for about 5 months and no probem.
It's a dense wood and as such harder to dry, sounds like someone rushed
yours thru the kiln.
"Enoch Root" wrote in message
news:auSdndWHAeMQm9bZnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@forethought. net...
I got a slab of 8/4 purpleheart, and after a few weeks of sitting there
I notice there's a lot of splitting especially on one end. I have it in
a cool dry environment at a fairly stable temperature.

Is this normal for purpleheart? Does it often split and check at the end?

I'm going to lose (I think) around a third of this board.

er
--
email not valid

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"Enoch Root"
I got a slab of 8/4 purpleheart, and after a few weeks of sitting there
I notice there's a lot of splitting especially on one end. I have it in
a cool dry environment at a fairly stable temperature.

Is this normal for purpleheart? Does it often split and check at the end?

I'm going to lose (I think) around a third of this board.

Nope, purpleheart is a very dense and stable wood. Although your piece may
not be.
I have a few 6/4 slabs (10"-12"x 60"-70") stacked and they have not checked
any more that similar hardwoods have.
Figure a project for it and cut your rough pieces, let them sit and wait
until your ready to complete it.

Dave