Posted to rec.woodworking
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Purpleheart again

"Max Mahanke" schreef
However, when faced

with the question, what causes purpleheart to revert from the vivid purple
to its purplish brown color over time he didn't know for sure. In
researching this on the web, one camp says exposure to UV over time and the
other camp says oxidation. The UV camp says use a finish with UV blockers
and the oxidation camp says use a water-borne finish.

***
As I don't know for sure either, and there is a never ending stream of new
finishes being introduced, again the question :
"What finish will let purpleheart keep its purple color?"
PvR

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , P van
Rijckevorsel wrote:

As I don't know for sure either, and there is a never ending stream of new
finishes being introduced, again the question :
"What finish will let purpleheart keep its purple color?"

To add to the discussion, I have a plane from Steve Knight, about 4
years old, made of purpleheart. It's barely been exposed to sunlight
(basement shop) and is as purple now as when I got it. I think it's
just oiled and waxed... So I would say oxidation doesn't enter into it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Woodman

Dont you think the oil and wax would keep air from touching the wood, thus
preventing oxidation? A poly finish will also keep air from touching the
wood. So I dont think oxidation is the problem either.
For what it's worth... we have hardwood floors factory finished with all
the UV protection blah blah blah and they have still turned color in only 3
years ....only place they didnt change color was in closets, etc. So I dont
put much faith in UV protection.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
In article , P van
Rijckevorsel wrote:

As I don't know for sure either, and there is a never ending stream of
new
finishes being introduced, again the question :
"What finish will let purpleheart keep its purple color?"

To add to the discussion, I have a plane from Steve Knight, about 4
years old, made of purpleheart. It's barely been exposed to sunlight
(basement shop) and is as purple now as when I got it. I think it's
just oiled and waxed... So I would say oxidation doesn't enter into it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Mahanke

In researching UV screen, I found there are UV blockers and UV absorbers.
The best finishes use both and if using the maximum amount can add up to
more than 20% to the cost of production. I suspect that there are a lot of
products on the market that boast UV protection but only add a minimal
amount to hold down cost but still meet the truth in advertising game.

Rijckevorsel wrote:

As I don't know for sure either, and there is a never ending stream of
new
finishes being introduced, again the question :
"What finish will let purpleheart keep its purple color?"

To add to the discussion, I have a plane from Steve Knight, about 4
years old, made of purpleheart. It's barely been exposed to sunlight
(basement shop) and is as purple now as when I got it. I think it's
just oiled and waxed... So I would say oxidation doesn't enter into it.

Turning Purpleheart? steamer Woodturning 4 February 14th 06 05:27 PM
Gluing Purpleheart for cutting boards Ron Woodworking 8 October 24th 05 11:31 PM
purpleheart - speed up coloring? Dan Major Woodworking 5 July 21st 05 03:44 AM
purpleheart Jeff Woodturning 29 June 21st 05 05:42 PM
Finish for Purpleheart for best color? Ian Dodd Woodworking 7 December 12th 03 12:48 PM