Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Woodman

Default Purpleheart again

Dont you think the oil and wax would keep air from touching the wood, thus
preventing oxidation? A poly finish will also keep air from touching the
wood. So I dont think oxidation is the problem either.
For what it's worth... we have hardwood floors factory finished with all
the UV protection blah blah blah and they have still turned color in only 3
years ....only place they didnt change color was in closets, etc. So I dont
put much faith in UV protection.

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
In article , P van
Rijckevorsel wrote:

As I don't know for sure either, and there is a never ending stream of
new
finishes being introduced, again the question :
"What finish will let purpleheart keep its purple color?"

To add to the discussion, I have a plane from Steve Knight, about 4
years old, made of purpleheart. It's barely been exposed to sunlight
(basement shop) and is as purple now as when I got it. I think it's
just oiled and waxed... So I would say oxidation doesn't enter into it.