Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Failed hose mender at Home Depot

Over time I've bought all the Home Depot metal & plastic hose repair kits.

Orbit 5/8" 3/4" Male Hose Mender 4687856687 SKU 1001069561
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-...6687/205585045

Orbit 5/8" 3/4" Female Hose Mender 4687856688 SKU 1001069562
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-...6688/205585047

Orbit 5/8" 3/4" Hose Repair Kit 4687827949 SKU 341134
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-...7949/100659288

All failed over time even given the supposed "2 year manufacturer warranty."
I threw away the packaging & receipt long ago so returning is problematic.

However, had I kept the packaging & receipt and returned the failed parts to
Home Depot within those two years do they send them back to the manufacturer
who then perhaps runs a failure analysis on why they failed so they can make
better parts that don't fail on someone else?

Or do they just throw them away and keep making failure prone parts?

Brass holds up. Whatever metal they're using does not. It corrodes until it
falls apart. Yet brass holds up just fine so it's whatever metal they used.
The two part female design usually leaks before the one part male does.
But both corrode to the point that the threads shatter off over time.

The problem with the Home Depot Orbit plastic hose mender kits is different.
Surprisingly the plastic male connector holds up well but the female
connector always shatters over time. In all cases above I've tried multiple
sets so it's not just a bad batch.

It's either a choice of a bad metal or too thin of the female plastic.

But my question is had I returned them would they have looked at it for
redesign so the next person who buys them doesn't have the same problem?

Or do they just throw them in the trash?
--
|_|O|_|
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 16, 2021 at 1:41:13 AM UTC-4, Dan Purgert wrote:
[...]

If they packaging is not too badly damaged, they probably put them back
on the shelf and sell them to someone else.

Otherwise they probably throw them in the trash.

Leading to the Home Depot Rule of Thumb:

Never buy anything at Home Depot that has had the box taped
shut. It's quite likely to be a return and parts will be missing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/21 1:41 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
[...]

https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-mender...ainless-steel/
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 16 May 2021 01:50:46 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I needed some garden hose of the right length to go with the
quick-connect I posted about weeks ago. I used one of those ends with
the 2-part plastic clamp like you posted and the hose shot off the
connector. This particular hose was thinner, or older, than some. Next
time I used an all-metal hose clamp like is used on GM cars and I could
make that much tighter.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Selizo-A...LRM/ref=sr_1_5

But other than not being able to clamp it on tight enough for one or
maybe 2 of them, I've used 3 or 4 of those hose ends that gave you
trouble and they haven't given me any trouble. Most were bought at
least 3 years ago, some 8 years. Except the brass one was bought this
year, however that's the one where the the hose shot off, so it didn't
get used much.

I ended up buyign a 10' hose. That's another advantage of the
online-buying. They had 10', 3' and I think someone had 8' hoses,
things you would never see in a store. Maybe you could get them to look
in a paper catalog and order it for you, but I'll bet demand was so low
they didn't even make many things that couldn't be mass-advertised
nationally.

But my question is had I returned them would they have looked at it for
redesign so the next person who buys them doesn't have the same problem?

Or do they just throw them in the trash?

I used to wonder what happened when you returned something to Kohl's for
Amazon, but the second time I returned something (in 10 years) I went to
UPS and watched her put eeverythign in bags with labels to send to them,
so I suppose they do.

I got my refund a couple hours later, when she hadn't checked afaik if
what I gave her matched the paperwork, and she certainly didn't check if
the ones in boxes were complete or worked (though they are and do.)

It used to be that finding the right storage bin would have been very
time consuming, making it more reasonable for Amazon to scrap it or sell
lots of "lost property" to the kind of guy who would then sell on ebay
(there are still Radio Shack products sold on ebay.)

But i suspect they do something like the Baltimore and Baltimore County
public libraries do now. Each book used to belong in a branch and if
you returned it to a different branch, they had shuttles to take it back
where it belonged, even though it must have taken several days. But
now there is a computer entry for every book and when they take it back,
they keep it wherever you took it and the computer knows where it is, in
case someone wants it from the catalog and not from a shelf.

It doesn't seem v. hard to do that with Amazon parts, even if they are
scattered all over the country.

If they packaging is not too badly damaged, they probably put them back
on the shelf and sell them to someone else.

Otherwise they probably throw them in the trash.

Yes, seems likely.

Leading to the Home Depot Rule of Thumb:

Never buy anything at Home Depot that has had the box taped
shut. It's quite likely to be a return and parts will be missing.

Cindy Hamilton

BTW, that quickconnect I asked about that leaked, I finally found my
container of O-rings, but not before I bought a 2nd one. I had 10
sizes of 0-rings, mostly one of each, from one bag I bought 20 years
ago, and I had exactly the right size. If anything, it fit better than
the 2nd one but that one was installed already so I returned the first
one, in better shape than they sold it to me.

For that matter, you can't easily tell it's been opened either.

But this situation is less likely than what you said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/15/2021 11:41 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
However, had I kept the packaging & receipt and returned the failed parts to
Home Depot within those two years do they send them back to the manufacturer
who then perhaps runs a failure analysis on why they failed so they can make
better parts that don't fail on someone else?

Or do they just throw them away and keep making failure prone parts?

The statistics course I took was slanted toward engineers. Part of it
was an analysis of how many samples you had to examine to ensure only N%
of the output was junk. N was not 0% but was determined by the cost of
the QA operation versus the cost of replacing faulty widgets. That cost
was calculated with the assumption that at a given price point the
consumer wouldn't bother returning the widget.

Short answer: if making failure prone parts is more profitable don't
expect a change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

When buying something on ebay recently I stumbled across someone
flogging pallets of stuff claimed to be returns and overstocks from
amazon. You had to take pot luck on what was on the pallet.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:14:20 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

The statistics course I took was...

Oh, no! He starts again... tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I needed some garden hose of the right length to go with the
quick-connect I posted about weeks ago. I used one of those ends with
the 2-part plastic clamp like you posted and the hose shot off the
connector. This particular hose was thinner, or older, than some. Next
time I used an all-metal hose clamp like is used on GM cars and I could
make that much tighter.

They make those hose ends for different diameters of hose. You need to
get the one that takes a bit of work to wiggle it into the hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I needed some garden hose of the right length to go with the
quick-connect I posted about weeks ago. I used one of those ends with
the 2-part plastic clamp like you posted and the hose shot off the
connector. This particular hose was thinner, or older, than some. Next
time I used an all-metal hose clamp like is used on GM cars and I could
make that much tighter.

They make those hose ends for different diameters of hose. You need to
get the one that takes a bit of work to wiggle it into the hose.

I think it was the right size, but I KNOW it was what I had on hand.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:14:20 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

The term "Market Driven Quality" was coined in the 90s to reflect
that. Basically, provide no more quality than the customer is willing
to pay for.
I only buy plastic fittings here and just plan on replacing them every
few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I needed some garden hose of the right length to go with the
quick-connect I posted about weeks ago. I used one of those ends with
the 2-part plastic clamp like you posted and the hose shot off the
connector. This particular hose was thinner, or older, than some. Next
time I used an all-metal hose clamp like is used on GM cars and I could
make that much tighter.

They make those hose ends for different diameters of hose. You need to
get the one that takes a bit of work to wiggle it into the hose.

I think it was the right size, but I KNOW it was what I had on hand.
LOL

With a worm screw clamp you can cheat but if you are using a barb too
small for the hose that 2 part clamp is not going to work ... but you
know that now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I needed some garden hose of the right length to go with the
quick-connect I posted about weeks ago. I used one of those ends with
the 2-part plastic clamp like you posted and the hose shot off the
connector. This particular hose was thinner, or older, than some. Next
time I used an all-metal hose clamp like is used on GM cars and I could
make that much tighter.

They make those hose ends for different diameters of hose. You need to
get the one that takes a bit of work to wiggle it into the hose.

Maybe it wasn't the right size. I probablay could have sanded off some
of the mating surface of the plastic clamp to make it smaller.

My next step was to buy a fancy non-kinking, non-twisting 10' hose,
which also bends better just like they said it would.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D51VB9E...roduct_details
It's in Spanish for me. Is it for you?

I don't know how to get back to English. Never mind. I found a
drop-down box next to the US flag next to the search box. Hmm. Amazon
sent me an auto-confirm email when I set it to Spanish, and again when I
set it back to English, but I never got one when something set it to
Spanish a day or two ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I needed some garden hose of the right length to go with the
quick-connect I posted about weeks ago. I used one of those ends with
the 2-part plastic clamp like you posted and the hose shot off the
connector. This particular hose was thinner, or older, than some. Next
time I used an all-metal hose clamp like is used on GM cars and I could
make that much tighter.

They make those hose ends for different diameters of hose. You need to
get the one that takes a bit of work to wiggle it into the hose.

Maybe it wasn't the right size. I probablay could have sanded off some
of the mating surface of the plastic clamp to make it smaller.

My next step was to buy a fancy non-kinking, non-twisting 10' hose,
which also bends better just like they said it would.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D51VB9E...roduct_details
It's in Spanish for me. Is it for you?

Nope, english for me. But I don't have a webcam on my PC,
it could see that you are one of those swarthy hispanics.

I don't know how to get back to English. Never mind. I found a
drop-down box next to the US flag next to the search box. Hmm. Amazon
sent me an auto-confirm email when I set it to Spanish, and again when I
set it back to English, but I never got one when something set it to
Spanish a day or two ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I only buy plastic fittings here and just plan on replacing them every
few years.

I find the plastic male fittings hold up but not the females.
The thin cap you spin always seems to break off on me.

How about you?
--
|_|O|_|
|_|_|O| Github:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 09:20:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

--
Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."