Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Failed hose mender at Home Depot

On 05/15/2021 11:41 PM, Dan Purgert wrote:
However, had I kept the packaging & receipt and returned the failed parts to
Home Depot within those two years do they send them back to the manufacturer
who then perhaps runs a failure analysis on why they failed so they can make
better parts that don't fail on someone else?

Or do they just throw them away and keep making failure prone parts?

The statistics course I took was slanted toward engineers. Part of it
was an analysis of how many samples you had to examine to ensure only N%
of the output was junk. N was not 0% but was determined by the cost of
the QA operation versus the cost of replacing faulty widgets. That cost
was calculated with the assumption that at a given price point the
consumer wouldn't bother returning the widget.

Short answer: if making failure prone parts is more profitable don't
expect a change.