Posted to alt.home.repair
Len Tejas Len Tejas is offline

Default Failed hose mender at Home Depot

On 5/16/21 1:41 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
Over time I've bought all the Home Depot metal & plastic hose repair kits.

Orbit 5/8" 3/4" Male Hose Mender 4687856687 SKU 1001069561
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-...6687/205585045

Orbit 5/8" 3/4" Female Hose Mender 4687856688 SKU 1001069562
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-...6688/205585047

Orbit 5/8" 3/4" Hose Repair Kit 4687827949 SKU 341134
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-5-...7949/100659288

All failed over time even given the supposed "2 year manufacturer warranty."
I threw away the packaging & receipt long ago so returning is problematic.

However, had I kept the packaging & receipt and returned the failed parts to
Home Depot within those two years do they send them back to the manufacturer
who then perhaps runs a failure analysis on why they failed so they can make
better parts that don't fail on someone else?

Or do they just throw them away and keep making failure prone parts?

Brass holds up. Whatever metal they're using does not. It corrodes until it
falls apart. Yet brass holds up just fine so it's whatever metal they used.
The two part female design usually leaks before the one part male does.
But both corrode to the point that the threads shatter off over time.

The problem with the Home Depot Orbit plastic hose mender kits is different.
Surprisingly the plastic male connector holds up well but the female
connector always shatters over time. In all cases above I've tried multiple
sets so it's not just a bad batch.

It's either a choice of a bad metal or too thin of the female plastic.

But my question is had I returned them would they have looked at it for
redesign so the next person who buys them doesn't have the same problem?

Or do they just throw them in the trash?

https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-mender...ainless-steel/