Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hotspot in the car!

I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote

I've started to car shop in advance.

I did that and found no one yet makes what I want,
not even Merc or BMW etc. I want a smart cruise
control that no only uses radar keep the distance
you specify behind the car in front of you, but
slows down and speeds up when you come thru
a town on a highway etc and uses a speed limit
database as well as reads the speed limit signs.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

If you mean a wifi hotspot, nope, cars have batterys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 16:41:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rodent:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 9 Feb 2021 01:57:03 -0800 (PST),
" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton

I couldn't figure out why one would pay extra when his phone already has
data, but googling r3eminded me that some people have kids with tablets
or laptops. I always just stare out the window.

I can see someone saying it's better to use a tablet than stare out the
window. I wonder if they play games some more or actually read something
(without getting car sick?)

Anyhow, Verizon charges $20/month or 10 if you already have verizon
wireless.

I don't need it because I have a phone.

Probably won't buy another car for 4 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton

I couldn't figure out why one would pay extra when his phone already has
data, but googling r3eminded me that some people have kids with tablets
or laptops. I always just stare out the window.

We have two tablets. My husband's is on our cellphone data plan, but mine
isn't. A hotspot in the car could be used to feed data to my table.

Of course, my cellphone can do the same thing.

I wondered how the car manufacturer might justify such a device
and ran across this:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-how-wifi-hotspots-work-in-cars/

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton

I couldn't figure out why one would pay extra when his phone already has
data, but googling r3eminded me that some people have kids with tablets
or laptops. I always just stare out the window.

We have two tablets. My husband's is on our cellphone data plan, but mine
isn't. A hotspot in the car could be used to feed data to my table.

Of course, my cellphone can do the same thing.

I wondered how the car manufacturer might justify such a device
and ran across this:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-how-wifi-hotspots-work-in-cars/

Cindy Hamilton

I think they are just preparing us for the IoT car that is in constant
communication with everything around it. They are just making the
early adopters pay like it as a feature. I am old enough to remember
when seat belts were optional features.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2021 12:25 AM, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

AFAIK, with a hotspot you can run Android Auto wireless. It does not
work with Bluetooth and needs a cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:41:19 AM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
micky wrote
I've started to car shop in advance.

I did that and found no one yet makes what I want,
not even Merc or BMW etc. I want a smart cruise
control that no only uses radar keep the distance
you specify behind the car in front of you, but
slows down and speeds up when you come thru
a town on a highway etc and uses a speed limit
database as well as reads the speed limit signs.

That isn't what a hotspot is about stupid. A hotspot is to
give you access to wifi so you can connect other things
that use wifi to it, eg a tablet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

There are a lot of cars that have hotspot already. I see them
show up on the list of wifi networks on my phone frequently when
I'm near one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton

I couldn't figure out why one would pay extra when his phone already has
data, but googling r3eminded me that some people have kids with tablets
or laptops. I always just stare out the window.

We have two tablets. My husband's is on our cellphone data plan, but mine
isn't. A hotspot in the car could be used to feed data to my table.

Of course, my cellphone can do the same thing.

My previous phone had hotspot, and I wondered if and how I'd ever use
it, but only a few months later, I stayed in my brother's old apartment,
while he and his wife and kid lived upstairs. He thought the building
had wifi but it was only the lobby. My phone worked well as the hotspot.

Then 6 months later I rented a room from two guys who had no internet,
only their phones that were not hotspots for me. Again, mine powered my
laptop just fine.

I put the phone right next to the laptop but with a car hotspot, the
driver can turn it off if s/he wants the kids to starte out the window.

I wondered how the car manufacturer might justify such a device
and ran across this:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-how-wifi-hotspots-work-in-cars/

V. good.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton

I couldn't figure out why one would pay extra when his phone
already has data, but googling r3eminded me that some people
have kids with tablets or laptops. I always just stare out the window.

I sometimes do and sometimes listen to podcasts.

I can see someone saying it's better to use a tablet than stare
out the window. I wonder if they play games some more or
actually read something (without getting car sick?)

I do read ebooks and have hundreds on my iphone and never get car sick.

Anyhow, Verizon charges $20/month or
10 if you already have verizon wireless.

I don't need it because I have a phone.

Probably won't buy another car for 4 years.

Not clear how soon I will, the EU has mandated
what I want in the cruise control so it should start
to show up in cars sometime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

[...]

I'm old enough to remember when seatbelts were
addons before they became optional features.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:41:19 AM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
micky wrote
I've started to car shop in advance.

I did that and found no one yet makes what I want,
not even Merc or BMW etc. I want a smart cruise
control that no only uses radar keep the distance
you specify behind the car in front of you, but
slows down and speeds up when you come thru
a town on a highway etc and uses a speed limit
database as well as reads the speed limit signs.

That isn't what a hotspot is about stupid.

Never said it was, ****wit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton
I couldn't figure out why one would pay extra when his phone already has
data, but googling r3eminded me that some people have kids with tablets
or laptops. I always just stare out the window.

We have two tablets. My husband's is on our cellphone data plan, but mine
isn't. A hotspot in the car could be used to feed data to my table.

Of course, my cellphone can do the same thing.

My previous phone had hotspot, and
I wondered if and how I'd ever use it,

I just used mine on Monday. The home broadband went down
because someone broke a main fibre that affected quite a bit
of my state. Needless to say I couldn't find the wifi usb adapter
for the PC and had to buy another, but it did give me a decent
internet service for the rest of the day. The net came back in
the early evening.

but only a few months later, I stayed in my brother's
old apartment, while he and his wife and kid lived
upstairs. He thought the building had wifi but it was
only the lobby. My phone worked well as the hotspot.

Then 6 months later I rented a room from two guys who
had no internet, only their phones that were not hotspots
for me. Again, mine powered my laptop just fine.

I put the phone right next to the laptop but with a car hotspot, the
driver can turn it off if s/he wants the kids to starte out the window.

And if he wants to risk a bullet in the back of the neck.

I wondered how the car manufacturer might
justify such a device and ran across this:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-how-wifi-hotspots-work-in-cars/

V. good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 03:37:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Rod Speed is an entirely modern phenomenon. Essentially, Rod Speed
man" on the InterNet."

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 10 Feb 2021 03:44:02 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

" wrote:

[...]

You must have tougher children in Oz than the ones I know.

I wondered how the car manufacturer might
justify such a device and ran across this:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-how-wifi-hotspots-work-in-cars/

V. good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 12:25:59 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
I've started to car shop in advance.

One car has a hotspot.

That's only if a pay for a cable to run to the car, right?

Heh. Good one.

Cindy Hamilton

I couldn't figure out why one would pay extra when his phone already has
data, but googling r3eminded me that some people have kids with tablets
or laptops. I always just stare out the window.

I can see someone saying it's better to use a tablet than stare out the
window. I wonder if they play games some more or actually read something
(without getting car sick?)

Anyhow, Verizon charges $20/month or 10 if you already have verizon
wireless.

I don't need it because I have a phone.

Probably won't buy another car for 4 years.

If I need a hotspot in the car or the 25 year old pickup that's what
I have my smart phone for. I can connect the Android in the truck or
my laptop (or both) to either my cell phone or my wife's - and STILL
use it as a phone (also connected to either the Kia or the pickup)

FreedomPop Franklin 850 Hotspot Woes The Real Bev[_2_] Electronics Repair 3 January 7th 18 12:40 AM
Crime hotspot in N Norfolk GB UK diy 13 January 1st 17 11:28 AM
No wifi but a wifi hotspot micky Home Repair 3 June 18th 15 08:08 AM
OT.....Why Slough could be the next property hotspot Bod[_3_] UK diy 2 January 25th 15 09:42 PM
Car radio will not play when car is cold Dan Electronics Repair 2 February 13th 04 04:08 PM