Posted to alt.home.repair

Default selling a house

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:21:19 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

Sometime later this year we will be selling our house and moving out of
state. The other day I went through all the manuals and receipts for
appliances and maintenance done to the house and set them aside for the
next owner. I also placed in a box all the specialty tools and spare
parts for the plumbing fixtures in the house. Is there any reason not
to do this?

What suggestions do you have in preparation for selling. We will use
an agent so their input will come first, but just checking the
experience of others.

I also wanted an on topic discussion...

My wife and I move every 5-ish years and we always do what you're doing.
All of the documents that are specific to items in that house are collected
and placed in a kitchen drawer for the new owners, or given to our realtor
to be handed over at closing. If it's just appliance manuals and
warranties, those go in a kitchen drawer, but if the pile contains keys,
such as for a backyard shed, side gate, or the code for the remote garage
door opener, then that goes to the realtor for safe keeping. You don't know
who is going to be walking through the house when it's on the market. Spare
items, such as special trim, light fixtures, or leftover floor tiles, are
neatly placed in the garage.

IMHO, the most important thing when selling is being honest when completing
the seller's disclosure checklist. I disclose everything, even things they
aren't likely to discover on their own. Like Carly Simon said, "No
secrets." That way they can't come back and claim I hid something. So far
so good, after about 8 home sales.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2021 3:22 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

[...]

Best to be open from the start. I've only move a couple of times but
want to headaches over minor issues.

I would not want to move that often but I know people that like to buy a
house to restore/remodel. Not a true flip as they will live in it a few
years. OTOH, may daughter has had 24 different addresses in 7 states
over 5000 miles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometime later this year we will be selling our house and moving out of
state. The other day I went through all the manuals and receipts for
appliances and maintenance done to the house and set them aside for the
next owner. I also placed in a box all the specialty tools and spare
parts for the plumbing fixtures in the house. Is there any reason not
to do this?

What suggestions do you have in preparation for selling. We will use
an agent so their input will come first, but just checking the
experience of others.

I also wanted an on topic discussion...

My wife and I move every 5-ish years

Why do you move so often ?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometime later this year we will be selling our house and moving out of
state.Â* The other day I went through all the manuals and receipts for
appliances and maintenance done to the house and set them aside for the
next owner.Â* I also placed in a box all the specialty tools and spare
parts for the plumbing fixtures in the house.Â* Is there any reason not
to do this?

What suggestions do you have in preparation for selling.Â* We will use
an agent so their input will come first, but just checking the
experience of others.

I also wanted an on topic discussion...

My wife and I move every 5-ish years

Why do you move so often ?

"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United States
can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the current
age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than one move
per single year."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" "frank wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

That isnt true with adults his age.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've had six in my life, three after I married. That 11.7 is scary,
does the .7 mean you live under a bridge?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 15:36:52 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

My moves mentioned above are only the ones where I sold a house. I've
actually moved many more times than that, partly due to a military career.
Frequent moves have helped me to realize what's important and what's not so
important, as far as 'stuff' goes. We still accumulate stuff, but we donate
a ton prior to every move.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:41:25 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'll put up my hand here. One year I spent the summer basically living
out of my car. Crashing at friends' places and occasionally sleeping
back home at my mother's house.

It didn't add up to 0.7, though. Slightly less than 0.5.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not true for me either and we do not know about the op. I had heard
that the average person moves every 7 years and the google reference is
similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...
"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United
States can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the
current age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than
one move per single year."

That isnt true with adults his age.

Not true for me either and we do not know about the op. I had heard
that the average person moves every 7 years and the google reference is
similar.

Those numbers may be average, but I just can not believe them for the
majority of the "normal" people.

Maybe they count the military as everyting they change bases as a move ?

Others may be the low rent people that rent a place, let the payments
mount up and then move.

I would think more normal may be like move out of the house you are born
in, move into a starter home when married, maybe move once more and then
the empty nest home, and then to the old age home, maybe they count the
move to the grave ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/15/2021 10:05 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
[...]

Not just the military. I know a guy that was in sales for a major
consumer goods company. If he wanted to get promoted, the next step up
would require him to move about every 3 years to another part of the
country.

Growing up, my family was all in Philadelphia. One uncle moved to a
suburb 5 miles away. Thought I be there for life. Times have changed.
I have 6 grandchildren in five different states, my sister is 700
miles away, my brother 3000 miles and no one I am still in contact back
in Philly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Counting mine, I've been in this house for 45 years but moved first time
with parents to their first house when I was 4 years old, second about
age 16, third at 19, off to grad school dorm, married move to apartment,
move to second apartment, graduate and leave town to rent a house for 2
years, buy first house and move after 7 years to this house. So I am
near average.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 10:06:04 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United
States can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the
current age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than
one move per single year."

That isnt true with adults his age.

Not true for me either and we do not know about the op. I had heard
that the average person moves every 7 years and the google reference is
similar.

Those numbers may be average, but I just can not believe them for the
majority of the "normal" people.

Maybe they count the military as everyting they change bases as a move ?

Others may be the low rent people that rent a place, let the payments
mount up and then move.

I would think more normal may be like move out of the house you are born
in, move into a starter home when married,

What is this, 1951? Who the hell lives with their parents until they're married?
Ok, Millennials do, but I couldn't wait to leave the nest.

maybe move once more and then
the empty nest home, and then to the old age home, maybe they count the
move to the grave ?

Not counting the two dorms I lived in during college and similar very temporary
housing, I've lived in 11 places in my life.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
In article , "frank says...
[...]

I've seen a bit more than that with some of my mates, particularly
those who rent before buying and move between rental places
due to a rent hike. But my town is desperately shot of rentals
and so the landlords exploit that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 03:43:05 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:47:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Or join the proviintial or federal police - move every 4 years. Or
the Phone company. Friends who worked for Bell Canada got moved
regularly. Or IBM - stood for "I've Been Moved". Or an uncle who was
in management for a large US retailer - moved to 2 different places in
Michigan,then 2 in California,before being transferred to Virginia
where he left their employ and moved at least twice after starting
several businesses of his own. My eldest daughter has had at least 10
addresses (in 5 countries) and she's not 40 yet or married. The
youngest ( a year younger, married, owns her own home) has only had 4
addresses all within aless than 10 mile radius - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I've seen a bit more than that with some of my mates,
particularly those who rent before buying and move
between rental places due to a rent hike. But my town is
desperately shot of rentals and so the landlords exploit that.

I think a lot of areas are like that now.

Not here. Our state and federal capitals are good for renters
at the moment, essentially because the immense numbers of
foreign students arent coming here anymore due to the virus.

My town has by far the biggest chicken and turkey operation
in the entire southern hemisphere, that the reason for the
extreme shortage of rental accommodation. It will be interesting
to see how long that lasts, we are building an immense number
of new houses. He works there, driving a forklift in the cold store,
right thru the night and is just now having his first owned house built.

Here its actually cheaper to buy than to rent now, even with a big new
house.

I got to thinking about my son and family. Up to now they
have moved about 6 times. Each time was because the rent
went up. They finally bought a house this year when he
was 43 years old. He had changed jobs 3 or 4 times.

After what hapened to me, I told him that if he found a job that paid
more or he thought he would like it, jump ship and change. The long
range promises do not mean much. When I started with one company
they promised we could retire at 55 with about 80% of our salary and
80 % of the health insurance paid. The company changed hands several
times and the last 3 times took away part of the retirement and all of the
insurance of the retiring people. That forced me to work to 62 instead
of what could have been about 57 for me and a loss of over $ 1000 a
month of retirement money. At least it was not like Enron where people
saw their company invested stock retirement go from around a million to
around $ 10,000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:05:53 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , "frank says...
[...]

The more "normal" would be move with family from your birth home to
the family "forever" home, then move out to go to school - or to an
apartment for your first job (or both) then to a better "pad" when you
start making some real coin. Then you find "the girl of your dreams"
and move in together before buying your "starter home". When kids come
along you move to a larger home with more bedfooms and a yard in a
good school district. Then you get a promotion or change jobs,
necessitating a move to another city. Whenthe kids leave home and you
are "empty nesters" you downsize - moving again. Then you retire and
decide to get away from the snow/big city traffic or whatever and buy
a retirement home. Once health starts to fade you sell and move into a
senior's residence, and trom there to an extended care home..

That's 11 moves.

For me, our family moved 5 times (sas was an itinerant farm worker)
before I started kindergarten and Dad got a "town job". I moved out to
a bording house at about 17, then left the country for 2 years. I
returned "home" to the family home just after my folks moved - so that
was 8 addreses. From there I moved into a shared apartment wih a
work-mate - then got my first appartment - address #10.
I then bought my first house, where I lived until I married my wife
who owned her own home and I sold and moved in with her. The house was
not ideal for raising a family so we sold it and bought the home we
have lived in for the last 40 years. So I am now at my 13th address -

That doesn't count a month with "no fixed address" on the east coast
between the boarding house and leaving ths country, or the 6 weeks or
so (living in a college dorm in Lusaka Zambia) between leaving from
there to finding housing at my posting (in Livingstone Zambia)
overseas - -

I know lots of people who have moved more often than I have - like
more than 5 times in the 40 years I have lived here. Thankfully my
changes of employment and carreer did not require me moving over those
40 years.. My home area has a lot of opportunity for employment in
many fields of endeavor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...
My town has by far the biggest chicken and turkey operation
in the entire southern hemisphere, that the reason for the
extreme shortage of rental accommodation. It will be interesting
to see how long that lasts, we are building an immense number
of new houses. He works there, driving a forklift in the cold store,
right thru the night and is just now having his first owned house built.

Here its actually cheaper to buy than to rent now, even with a big new
house.

In one sense it was less expensive on the payments to buy than rent
where I lived. There were about 10 houses built at the same time and
very similar at the time they were all around 40 years old. I was trying
to sell the house I lived in and at the same time a few houses away
soneone was renting out their house. The monthly payments on a 30 year
load plus the escrow for tax and insurance on my house would have been
a few dollars less. However you do have to factor in that if you buy
the house you have to put on a new roof new heat pump and a few other
things over the years. Then the wife is always wanting new floor
covering and painting. One good thing about owning the house is that
you may get your money back. I paid about $ 25 thousand for the house,
had about $ 75 thousand in payments to the loan company. Sold it for $
90,000 so would have made about $ 15,000 but taxes ate up most of that
and repairs and such ate up the rest. However it gave me the effect of
living in it for about 40 years free and I could apply that $ 90 K to
another house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 05:31:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I think a lot of areas are like that now.

Not here.

LOL Auto-contradicting senile pest!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 2:08:40 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

"The wife"? This wife is pretty happy with the hardwood floors that
were under the pink carpeting that was in the house when we bought it.
Sure, I'd like to have them refinished but I don't want to basically move
out to have to done.

If "the wife" wants anything painted, she buys the paint and does the work.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:05:53 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , "frank says...
[...]

None of ours bother with those anymore. My mate's first owned
house is a ****ing great 4 bedroom brand new house, built for
him. And he drives a forklift in a chicken plant cool room.

When kids come along

He has 3, all in rented places.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote
Rod Speed wrote

[...]

Not here, we don't replaces roofs at all anymore.

new heat pump and a few other things over the years. Then the wife
is always wanting new floor covering and painting. One good thing
about owning the house is that you may get your money back.

We do that in spades, every time.

I paid about $ 25 thousand for the house, had about $ 75 thousand
in payments to the loan company. Sold it for $90,000

In our capital citys, $1M for wrecks is very common.
They are buying the land, not the house.

so would have made about $ 15,000
but taxes ate up most of that

Not here. And the renters pay the tax indirectly anyway.

and repairs and such ate up the rest.

No significant repairs here. They are almost entirely brick now.

However it gave me the effect of living
in it for about 40 years free and I could
apply that $ 90 K to another house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 11:43:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

It's one of the main features of the Make America Great Again program, a
return to 1951.

This wife is pretty happy with the hardwood floors that
were under the pink carpeting that was in the house when we bought it.
Sure, I'd like to have them refinished but I don't want to basically move
out to have to done.

If "the wife" wants anything painted, she buys the paint and does the work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 08:42:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 08:33:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/21 11:32 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
[...]

Have you seen the TV show "Hoarders"? People save things and
have just
a foot path through their houses. A lot of it is just piled up with no
organization.
I retired last summer so I don't any excuse not to clean. Stuff must
have just
snuck into my house. There is no other explanation for some of the
things I've
found.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 07:32:40 -0600, Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

You just need an excuse to buy more tools...

--
Tekkie