Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default selling a house

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:05:53 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , "frank says...
"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United
States can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the
current age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than
one move per single year."

That isnt true with adults his age.

Not true for me either and we do not know about the op. I had heard
that the average person moves every 7 years and the google reference is
similar.

Those numbers may be average, but I just can not believe them for the
majority of the "normal" people.

Maybe they count the military as everyting they change bases as a move ?

Others may be the low rent people that rent a place, let the payments
mount up and then move.

I would think more normal may be like move out of the house you are born
in, move into a starter home when married, maybe move once more and then
the empty nest home, and then to the old age home, maybe they count the
move to the grave ?

The more "normal" would be move with family from your birth home to
the family "forever" home, then move out to go to school - or to an
apartment for your first job (or both) then to a better "pad" when you
start making some real coin. Then you find "the girl of your dreams"
and move in together before buying your "starter home".

None of ours bother with those anymore. My mate's first owned
house is a ****ing great 4 bedroom brand new house, built for
him. And he drives a forklift in a chicken plant cool room.

When kids come along

He has 3, all in rented places.

you move to a larger home with more bedfooms and a yard in a
good school district. Then you get a promotion or change jobs,
necessitating a move to another city. Whenthe kids leave home and you
are "empty nesters" you downsize - moving again. Then you retire and
decide to get away from the snow/big city traffic or whatever and buy
a retirement home. Once health starts to fade you sell and move into a
senior's residence, and trom there to an extended care home..

That's 11 moves.

For me, our family moved 5 times (sas was an itinerant farm worker)
before I started kindergarten and Dad got a "town job". I moved out
to a bording house at about 17, then left the country for 2 years. I
returned "home" to the family home just after my folks moved - so that
was 8 addreses. From there I moved into a shared apartment wih a
work-mate - then got my first appartment - address #10.
I then bought my first house, where I lived until I married my wife
who owned her own home and I sold and moved in with her. The house was
not ideal for raising a family so we sold it and bought the home we
have lived in for the last 40 years. So I am now at my 13th address -

That doesn't count a month with "no fixed address" on the east coast
between the boarding house and leaving ths country, or the 6 weeks or
so (living in a college dorm in Lusaka Zambia) between leaving from
there to finding housing at my posting (in Livingstone Zambia)
overseas - -

I know lots of people who have moved more often than I have - like
more than 5 times in the 40 years I have lived here. Thankfully my
changes of employment and carreer did not require me moving over those
40 years.. My home area has a lot of opportunity for employment in
many fields of endeavor.