Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default selling a house

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:21:19 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

Sometime later this year we will be selling our house and moving out of
state. The other day I went through all the manuals and receipts for
appliances and maintenance done to the house and set them aside for the
next owner. I also placed in a box all the specialty tools and spare
parts for the plumbing fixtures in the house. Is there any reason not
to do this?

What suggestions do you have in preparation for selling. We will use
an agent so their input will come first, but just checking the
experience of others.

I also wanted an on topic discussion...

My wife and I move every 5-ish years and we always do what you're doing.
All of the documents that are specific to items in that house are collected
and placed in a kitchen drawer for the new owners, or given to our realtor
to be handed over at closing. If it's just appliance manuals and
warranties, those go in a kitchen drawer, but if the pile contains keys,
such as for a backyard shed, side gate, or the code for the remote garage
door opener, then that goes to the realtor for safe keeping. You don't know
who is going to be walking through the house when it's on the market. Spare
items, such as special trim, light fixtures, or leftover floor tiles, are
neatly placed in the garage.

IMHO, the most important thing when selling is being honest when completing
the seller's disclosure checklist. I disclose everything, even things they
aren't likely to discover on their own. Like Carly Simon said, "No
secrets." That way they can't come back and claim I hid something. So far
so good, after about 8 home sales.