Posted to alt.home.repair

Default selling a house

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:21:19 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

Sometime later this year we will be selling our house and moving out of
state. The other day I went through all the manuals and receipts for
appliances and maintenance done to the house and set them aside for the
next owner. I also placed in a box all the specialty tools and spare
parts for the plumbing fixtures in the house. Is there any reason not
to do this?

What suggestions do you have in preparation for selling. We will use
an agent so their input will come first, but just checking the
experience of others.

I also wanted an on topic discussion...

My wife and I move every 5-ish years and we always do what you're doing.
All of the documents that are specific to items in that house are collected
and placed in a kitchen drawer for the new owners, or given to our realtor
to be handed over at closing. If it's just appliance manuals and
warranties, those go in a kitchen drawer, but if the pile contains keys,
such as for a backyard shed, side gate, or the code for the remote garage
door opener, then that goes to the realtor for safe keeping. You don't know
who is going to be walking through the house when it's on the market. Spare
items, such as special trim, light fixtures, or leftover floor tiles, are
neatly placed in the garage.

IMHO, the most important thing when selling is being honest when completing
the seller's disclosure checklist. I disclose everything, even things they
aren't likely to discover on their own. Like Carly Simon said, "No
secrets." That way they can't come back and claim I hid something. So far
so good, after about 8 home sales.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2021 3:22 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:

[...]

Best to be open from the start. I've only move a couple of times but
want to headaches over minor issues.

I would not want to move that often but I know people that like to buy a
house to restore/remodel. Not a true flip as they will live in it a few
years. OTOH, may daughter has had 24 different addresses in 7 states
over 5000 miles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 15:36:52 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

My moves mentioned above are only the ones where I sold a house. I've
actually moved many more times than that, partly due to a military career.
Frequent moves have helped me to realize what's important and what's not so
important, as far as 'stuff' goes. We still accumulate stuff, but we donate
a ton prior to every move.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/21 11:32 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
[...]

Have you seen the TV show "Hoarders"? People save things and
have just
a foot path through their houses. A lot of it is just piled up with no
organization.
I retired last summer so I don't any excuse not to clean. Stuff must
have just
snuck into my house. There is no other explanation for some of the
things I've
found.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 07:32:40 -0600, Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

You just need an excuse to buy more tools...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometime later this year we will be selling our house and moving out of
state. The other day I went through all the manuals and receipts for
appliances and maintenance done to the house and set them aside for the
next owner. I also placed in a box all the specialty tools and spare
parts for the plumbing fixtures in the house. Is there any reason not
to do this?

What suggestions do you have in preparation for selling. We will use
an agent so their input will come first, but just checking the
experience of others.

I also wanted an on topic discussion...

My wife and I move every 5-ish years

Why do you move so often ?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometime later this year we will be selling our house and moving out of
state.Â* The other day I went through all the manuals and receipts for
appliances and maintenance done to the house and set them aside for the
next owner.Â* I also placed in a box all the specialty tools and spare
parts for the plumbing fixtures in the house.Â* Is there any reason not
to do this?

What suggestions do you have in preparation for selling.Â* We will use
an agent so their input will come first, but just checking the
experience of others.

I also wanted an on topic discussion...

My wife and I move every 5-ish years

Why do you move so often ?

"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United States
can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the current
age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than one move
per single year."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" "frank wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

That isnt true with adults his age.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:41:25 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not true for me either and we do not know about the op. I had heard
that the average person moves every 7 years and the google reference is
similar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "frank says...
"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United
States can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the
current age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than
one move per single year."

That isnt true with adults his age.

Not true for me either and we do not know about the op. I had heard
that the average person moves every 7 years and the google reference is
similar.

Those numbers may be average, but I just can not believe them for the
majority of the "normal" people.

Maybe they count the military as everyting they change bases as a move ?

Others may be the low rent people that rent a place, let the payments
mount up and then move.

I would think more normal may be like move out of the house you are born
in, move into a starter home when married, maybe move once more and then
the empty nest home, and then to the old age home, maybe they count the
move to the grave ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've had six in my life, three after I married. That 11.7 is scary,
does the .7 mean you live under a bridge?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'll put up my hand here. One year I spent the summer basically living
out of my car. Crashing at friends' places and occasionally sleeping
back home at my mother's house.

It didn't add up to 0.7, though. Slightly less than 0.5.

Cindy Hamilton