Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement toilet

Getting around to the bath in the old farmhouse redo -- anybody had
experience with newer toilet peformance to the reduced water standards
-- either positive recommendations or ones known to avoid.

Did a search on "best" and returned lists composed almost entirely of
brands/manufacturers I've never heard of before -- all the old standbys
like Kohler, American Standard, Elger, ... nearly non-existent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 22 Sep 2020 20:21:11 -0500, dpb
wrote:

Getting around to the bath in the old farmhouse redo -- anybody had
experience with newer toilet peformance to the reduced water standards
-- either positive recommendations or ones known to avoid.

Did a search on "best" and returned lists composed almost entirely of
brands/manufacturers I've never heard of before -- all the old standbys
like Kohler, American Standard, Elger, ... nearly non-existent.

Don't get one of those fancy European toilets that have a tiny pond in
the bowl instead of a big lake. My brother let his wife handle a
remodel and she ended up with toilets that needed cleaning every time I
used one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 20:21:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

Getting around to the bath in the old farmhouse redo -- anybody had
experience with newer toilet peformance to the reduced water standards
-- either positive recommendations or ones known to avoid.

Did a search on "best" and returned lists composed almost entirely of
brands/manufacturers I've never heard of before -- all the old standbys
like Kohler, American Standard, Elger, ... nearly non-existent.

I replaced 2 of 3 about 10 years ago -
all are ~ water-saver models :

1. Kohler great performance it's The Champ by a mile.
2. Mansfield - terrible - several plunger-jobs per year.
3. Am. Standard original circa 1990 average.

Be sure to measure carefully - the distance from the wall !
... and check the toilet specs for that ...
.... a half inch too little is a royal PITA ! that will send
you back to the long "Returns" lineup and shopping ..
... yet again for a toilet ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

In my last house I had two Kohler, this house has two Kohler, we
renovated at work a few years back and put in 4 Kohler. All are the

I think they all improved over some of the originals that you had to
triple flush. Comfort height is very nice too as you get older.

I've heard some American Standard are very good too, just no personal
experience. As you can imagine though, I'd not hesitate to use Kohler
again.

Used Kohler faucets too in four bathrooms and 1 kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2020 10:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/22/2020 9:21 PM, dpb wrote:
Getting around to the bath in the old farmhouse redo -- anybody had
experience with newer toilet peformance to the reduced water standards
-- either positive recommendations or ones known to avoid.

Did a search on "best" and returned lists composed almost entirely of
brands/manufacturers I've never heard of before -- all the old
standbys like Kohler, American Standard, Elger, ... nearly non-existent.

--

In my last house I had two Kohler, this house has two Kohler, we
renovated at work a few years back and put in 4 Kohler.Â* All are the
comfort height.Â* All work well.Â* Oh, visited a friend last month and she
put in four Kohler and has no complaints.

I think they all improved over some of the originals that you had to
triple flush.Â* Comfort height is very nice too as you get older.

I've heard some American Standard are very good too, just no personal
experience.Â* As you can imagine though, I'd not hesitate to use Kohler
again.

Used Kohler faucets too in four bathrooms and 1 kitchen.

That's another piece of the puzzle -- a 40 year old Delta and I replaced
the whole internals just a couple months ago and it still drips. Chrome
plating peeling; the countertop is going to be replaced, too, so it'll
also become history.

Any idea of specific Kohler toilet models? I'm looking for traditional
to go in old farmhouse, not some space age thing that would look totally
out of place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2020 9:21 PM, dpb wrote:
Getting around to the bath in the old farmhouse redo -- anybody had
experience with newer toilet peformance to the reduced water standards
-- either positive recommendations or ones known to avoid.

Did a search on "best" and returned lists composed almost entirely of
brands/manufacturers I've never heard of before -- all the old standbys
like Kohler, American Standard, Elger, ... nearly non-existent.

--

I'm not an expert but all 4 of my toilets over the years were replaced
by lower water standards and work well.

I have 2 Toto's and actually the one I like best with a bigger flush
valve is the one I would avoid because I have had to replace the valve a
few times along with the handle which has a camming action that can only
be replaced with an OEM handle.

Saw Micky's response and reminded of a hotel toilet in Europe with a
shelf over the water pool where poop would go sitting out of the pool
and stinking. Someone had to be out of their mind with this design.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I stumbled across this group over a decade ago when they were just a university
study, but they have evolved into a commercial independent testing operation.
Their data is still useful though.

https://www.map-testing.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 10:01:35 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

On 9/22/2020 9:21 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

In Gatineau Quebec water must be free .. our favourite little
hotel there has toilets that must use about 6 gallons for every
flush ! ... very unusual in this day-and-age ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Getting around to the bath in the old farmhouse redo -- anybody had
experience with newer toilet peformance to the reduced water standards
-- either positive recommendations or ones known to avoid.

Did a search on "best" and returned lists composed almost entirely of
brands/manufacturers I've never heard of before -- all the old standbys
like Kohler, American Standard, Elger, ... nearly non-existent.

Don't get one of those fancy European toilets that have a tiny pond in
the bowl instead of a big lake. My brother let his wife handle a
remodel and she ended up with toilets that needed cleaning every time I
used one.

On 2nd thought, I don't know that it was a European brand. Just like
the Europeans copy our styles, the US copies their styles and it could
be that some major US brands are touting this style as better, fancy,
maybe even European, but maybe not. Just be sure to get a standard lake
and not a little pond.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 22 Sep 2020 23:27:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

In my last house I had two Kohler, this house has two Kohler, we
renovated at work a few years back and put in 4 Kohler. All are the
comfort height. All work well. Oh, visited a friend last month and she
put in four Kohler and has no complaints.

I think they all improved over some of the originals that you had to
triple flush. Comfort height is very nice too as you get older.

Is comfort height higher or lower?

(Real comfort would be not having to leave my desk or my bed. Do they
have that with a permanent connection to the drain?)

I've heard some American Standard are very good too, just no personal
experience. As you can imagine though, I'd not hesitate to use Kohler
again.

Used Kohler faucets too in four bathrooms and 1 kitchen.

Someone here, on a different topic from what matters to me, posted a
Kohler soaking bahttub, which I hadn't found with google, that has the
same kind of drain control I have now, one that works with my toes,
instead of pushing down on it from above. I'm one step closer to
remodeling the bathroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2020 9:21 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

the whole internals just a couple months ago and it still drips.Â* Chrome
plating peeling; the countertop is going to be replaced, too, so it'll
also become history.

Any idea of specific Kohler toilet models?Â* I'm looking for traditional
to go in old farmhouse, not some space age thing that would look totally
out of place.

--

Pretty sure it is the Cimmeron. Traditional style, nothing really
fancy. Got the slow close seats too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In my last house I had two Kohler, this house has two Kohler, we
renovated at work a few years back and put in 4 Kohler. All are the
comfort height. All work well. Oh, visited a friend last month and she
put in four Kohler and has no complaints.

I think they all improved over some of the originals that you had to
triple flush. Comfort height is very nice too as you get older.

Is comfort height higher or lower?

(Real comfort would be not having to leave my desk or my bed. Do they
have that with a permanent connection to the drain?)

The Internet has lots of photos of office chairs that incorporate a toilet
into the chair design, but I haven't seen one that's actually plumbed.
There's no reason why you couldn't, though.

I don't think I've seen a toilet-bed, though. Bed plans usually come into
play there.

I've heard some American Standard are very good too, just no personal
experience. As you can imagine though, I'd not hesitate to use Kohler
again.

Used Kohler faucets too in four bathrooms and 1 kitchen.

Someone here, on a different topic from what matters to me, posted a
Kohler soaking bahttub, which I hadn't found with google, that has the
same kind of drain control I have now, one that works with my toes,
instead of pushing down on it from above. I'm one step closer to
remodeling the bathroom.

I think my last bath was in 1964. That was the year we got running water so
it's been showers ever since.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Try something like this:

http://aquaticbath.com/bath-products...hot-soak-tubs/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2020 9:01 AM, Frank wrote:
On 9/22/2020 9:21 PM, dpb wrote:
Getting around to the bath in the old farmhouse redo -- anybody had
experience with newer toilet peformance to the reduced water standards
-- either positive recommendations or ones known to avoid.

Did a search on "best" and returned lists composed almost entirely of
brands/manufacturers I've never heard of before -- all the old
standbys like Kohler, American Standard, Elger, ... nearly non-existent.

--

I'm not an expert but all 4 of my toilets over the years were replaced
by lower water standards and work well.

I have 2 Toto's and actually the one I like best with a bigger flush
valve is the one I would avoid because I have had to replace the valve a
few times along with the handle which has a camming action that can only
be replaced with an OEM handle.

Toto was one of the brands kept popping up on the search had never heard
of...

The reviews seemed all over the place and the one or to "cons" to the
list of "pros" all seemed like biggies -- like the one you mentioned or
that "obtw, it doesn't really flush that well unless you hold the handle
down entire time until bowl empties" and the like. Looked mostly based
on product manufacturer sales hype and not real-life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/22/2020 9:21 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

down entire time until bowl empties" and the like.Â* Looked mostly based
on product manufacturer sales hype and not real-life.

--

My Toto flushes fine but looking at the flapper it has drain on it and
think it also must be OEM.

Like I said, I like the toilet but it is finicky and the only one I have
had to repair a few times. Only other repair on others was replacement
of corroded and broken tank bolts and these toilets are several years old.

I like all the low flush toilets particularly as we are on a septic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 10:01:46 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Saw Micky's response and reminded of a hotel toilet in Europe with a
shelf over the water pool where poop would go sitting out of the pool
and stinking. Someone had to be out of their mind with this design.

Yeah we saw those. I call them inspection shelves but don't know why they do that.

The porta-johns were like that too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Looks a lot like a bath tub, so thanks but no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In my last house I had two Kohler, this house has two Kohler, we
renovated at work a few years back and put in 4 Kohler. All are the
comfort height. All work well. Oh, visited a friend last month and she
put in four Kohler and has no complaints.

I think they all improved over some of the originals that you had to
triple flush. Comfort height is very nice too as you get older.

Is comfort height higher or lower?

(Real comfort would be not having to leave my desk or my bed. Do they
have that with a permanent connection to the drain?)

The Internet has lots of photos of office chairs that incorporate a toilet
into the chair design, but I haven't seen one that's actually plumbed.
There's no reason why you couldn't, though.

That's a great idea. Anyone looking for an investment opportunity?

I don't think I've seen a toilet-bed, though. Bed plans usually come into
play there.

I'm young and healthy. I don't want no stinkin' bedpans. I just don't
want to have to get up.

I've heard some American Standard are very good too, just no personal
experience. As you can imagine though, I'd not hesitate to use Kohler
again.

Used Kohler faucets too in four bathrooms and 1 kitchen.

Someone here, on a different topic from what matters to me, posted a
Kohler soaking bahttub, which I hadn't found with google, that has the
same kind of drain control I have now, one that works with my toes,
instead of pushing down on it from above. I'm one step closer to
remodeling the bathroom.

I think my last bath was in 1964. That was the year we got running water so
it's been showers ever since.

Wow. I broke my leg in Guatamala, and I got two plastic dishpans, one
red, one blue, to soak my ankle in alternating between hot and cold, as
the doctor told me.

Easy enough at the dollar hotel I stayed in after I left the hospital.
But then I started traveling, and when I got to Honduras, there was
apparently only one woman in town who rented a room to travelers.

I asked her if she hat hot water, agua caliente, and she said, Si,
Senor, nosotros tienen agua corriente. Running water. LOL

But when I got back from walking around the town, without my saying
anymore, she heated water on the stove so I could soak my foot .

Another thing I noticed about the town was the litter. This was 1971
and in Mexico, the taco/torta seller in the square wrapped the food in
corn husks. But paper wrapping had come to Honduras, and people were
careless with it, just like here. I only noticed this on the grassy
bank of the little stream. I should have paid more attention in the
rest of the town. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 23 Sep 2020 16:06:58 -0400, micky
wrote:

I asked her if she hat hot water, agua caliente, and she said, Si,
Senor, nosotros tienen agua corriente. Running water. LOL

tenemos

Were it not for the virus, I was going to go back this year. I'd better
review my espanol.