Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Steven O.

Default Toilet brands (toilet question followup)

On behalf of myself and my Mom, thanks for the answer on the toilet
question. A followup:

Without spending an exhorbitant amount of money (say, no more than
$300), can anyone recommend what brands of toilets to get, and what
brands to avoid? The last one my Mom had developed a flushing
problem, and needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Steve O.
Steven AATT Domain DDOOTT com
To send an e-mail, substitute @ for AATT, a . for DDOOTT, and OpComm for Domain

Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Steven O. wrote:

Without spending an exhorbitant amount of money (say, no more than
$300), can anyone recommend what brands of toilets to get, and what
brands to avoid? The last one my Mom had developed a flushing
problem, and needs to be replaced.

If you are refering to US low flows, the Kohler Welworth Lites seem to work the
best - where best is a relative term. Sterling, the Kohler "value" brand is
terrible.

The elongated bowls have a more difficult time clearing than the standard bowls,
but if you are a male over 12 years old, an elongated bowl is almost mandatory
on a residential toilet.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:59:27 -0700, "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." 73115
dot 1041 at compuserve dot com wrote:

Steven O. wrote:

Without spending an exhorbitant amount of money (say, no more than
$300), can anyone recommend what brands of toilets to get, and what
brands to avoid? The last one my Mom had developed a flushing
problem, and needs to be replaced.

If you are refering to US low flows, the Kohler Welworth Lites seem to work the
best - where best is a relative term. Sterling, the Kohler "value" brand is
terrible.

The elongated bowls have a more difficult time clearing than the standard bowls,
but if you are a male over 12 years old, an elongated bowl is almost mandatory
on a residential toilet.

I've heard only good things about American Standard Cadet: you could
try the $99 model at HD (has a 2" glazed trap, etc., etc.).
John Davies

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:39:11 GMT, Steven O. wrote:

On behalf of myself and my Mom, thanks for the answer on the toilet
question. A followup:

Without spending an exhorbitant amount of money (say, no more than
$300), can anyone recommend what brands of toilets to get, and what
brands to avoid? The last one my Mom had developed a flushing
problem, and needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Consumer's Reports has done a number of articles on low-flow toilets
in the last few years.

OTH my new Kohler Wentworth works well:

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...sp?item=252102

John Davies
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA

Jim Haynes

When I moved into the present house (1998) it had Eljer toilets that were
prone to stopping up. On some new construction the plumber said that was
a known problem with Eljer toilets and he put in a Mansfield. Later I
had a different plumber replace the Eljers and he put in Toto. I have
had no trouble with either Mansfield or Toto.

--

jhaynes at alumni dot uark dot edu