Old August 1st 20, 06:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Annoying tic-toc clock.

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Old August 1st 20, 06:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:18:33 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

I went through this when I was 13 years old. I just could't take it
anymore; like you it kept me from falling asleep. I complained to my
mother and she gave me an old AC electric clock. Problem solved. Check
with your mother.
Old August 1st 20, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 12:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so it could be replaced
sometime in the future. Or maybe just a space to allow changing the
battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Would some form of spray foam help?
Old August 1st 20, 06:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 1:26 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/1/20 12:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so it could be
replaced sometime in the future. Or maybe just a space to allow
changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Â*Â*Â* Would some form of spray foam help?

I was thinking foam like carpet backing or other packing material that I
have saved.
Old August 1st 20, 07:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

The standard battery powered clock movements come in 2 types :
: continuous sweep = silent
: mini quartz = tik tok

They cost about $ 10..
A Thrift Store clock can be had for less.

The critical dimension is the length of the stem.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...lock-movements

John T.

Old August 1st 20, 08:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 1:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so it could be replaced sometime in the future. Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Throw that noisy thing in the trash and buy a radio-controlled WWVB clock.

Old August 1st 20, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Zip lock bag
Old August 1st 20, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/01/2020 11:18 AM, Phil Kangas wrote:
I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.

No problem. Trump is going to ban tic-toc today.
Old August 1st 20, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:38:43 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

No problem. Trump is going to ban tic-toc today.

Like I said: driveling washerwoman!
Old August 1st 20, 09:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Oull the old guts and replace with a newer, quieter mechanism (but
virtually all of the lower cost mechanisms DO tick.