Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Annoying tic-toc clock.

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 8/1/20 2:00 PM, Roger Oveur wrote:
On 8/1/2020 1:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so it could be replaced
sometime in the future. Or maybe just a space to allow changing the
battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Throw that noisy thing in the trash and buy a radio-controlled WWVB
clock.

And I also like a clock that TELLS the time (when I push a large button),
so there's no need to turn on the light at night.

I prefer one that TELLS the time when you ask it for the time
and TELLS you other stuff like the weather forecast etc too.
Echo Dot, Google Home Mini etc. That way you dont even
have to roll over at night in bed, or stick your head out from
under the blankets/doona etc in winter etc.

And dont need to put your glasses on to see the time either.

The one I got cost $15 at Radio shack (almost 20 years ago).

The smart speakers are much better because they do a lot
more than just the time. Once I decide to get up, always in
the dark even in summer, I just tell it good morning and it
tells me the time, the forecast, turns the lights on that arent
movement activated, and can wake me up and play me the
latest coronacast podcast too.