Old August 1st 20, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Annoying tic-toc clock.

wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 13:18:33 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

The standard battery powered clock movements come in 2
types :
: continuous sweep = silent
: mini quartz = tik tok

They cost about $ 10..
A Thrift Store clock can be had for less.

The critical dimension is the length of the stem.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...lock-movements

John T.

That's what I'm looking for! Thanks John T. for this link.
;) phil

Old August 1st 20, 11:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:58:47 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yep.
I posted the Lee Valley link
for their excellent product information -
... but they are also competitive for pricing -
and they take much pride in customer service
and customer satisfaction.

Don't forget the stem-length !
if you are planning to order a replacement ..

John T.

Old August 2nd 20, 12:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so
it could be replaced sometime in the future.
Or maybe just a space to allow changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Oull the old guts and replace with a newer, quieter mechanism (but
virtually all of the lower cost mechanisms DO tick.

Even my Timex Expedition wris****ch ticks. It's normally not noticeable
but if it's very quiet I can hear it. Last weekend I was out in the
woods and I noticed the car was doing something about 8 hours after it
had last been operated. I assume it was the fuel pump.

A lot of things ain't what they used to be but despite a lifetime of
motorcycles, glasspaks, and guns I still have wolf ears.

Old August 2nd 20, 09:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 17:22:12 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Even my Timex Expedition wris****ch ticks. It's normally not noticeable

Seriously, do you really have NOBODY in real life to talk to you, you
endlessly driveling and gossiping senile pest?
Old August 2nd 20, 06:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 12:24 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

I went through this when I was 13 years old. I just could't take it
anymore; like you it kept me from falling asleep. I complained to my
mother and she gave me an old AC electric clock. Problem solved. Check
with your mother.

When I was growing up, there was this electric clock with a particularly
annoying sound. Not so much "tick tock", but wheezing. It reminded me of
a perpetually runny nose. The volume of the sound varied over a period
of about 6 seconds.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion: just say `no'." [Tim Smith]

Old August 2nd 20, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 2:00 PM, Roger Oveur wrote:
On 8/1/2020 1:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so it could be
replaced sometime in the future. Or maybe just a space to allow
changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Throw that noisy thing in the trash and buy a radio-controlled WWVB clock.

And I also like a clock that TELLS the time (when I push a large
button), so there's no need to turn on the light at night. The one I got
cost $15 at Radio shack (almost 20 years ago).

Old August 2nd 20, 06:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/20 3:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Oull the old guts and replace with a newer, quieter mechanism (but
virtually all of the lower cost mechanisms DO tick.

A nice regular tick might be easy to get used to.

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and stupidity. I am not so
sure about the former..."
Old August 2nd 20, 06:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2020 1:28 PM, Sam E wrote:
On 8/1/20 3:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Oull the old guts and replace with a newer, quieter mechanism (but
virtually all of the lower cost mechanisms DO tick.

A nice regular tick might be easy to get used to.

I have a clock that ticks and chimes on th quarter hour. After 40 years
I don't notice it much but I still like the sound. If I wake during the
night I can hear the chimes softly from the dining room.

Some people are annoyed, I find it more soothing.
Old August 2nd 20, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
[...]

I prefer one that TELLS the time when you ask it for the time
and TELLS you other stuff like the weather forecast etc too.
Echo Dot, Google Home Mini etc. That way you don’t even
have to roll over at night in bed, or stick your head out from
under the blankets/doona etc in winter etc.

And don’t need to put your glasses on to see the time either.

The one I got cost $15 at Radio shack (almost 20 years ago).

The smart speakers are much better because they do a lot
more than just the time. Once I decide to get up, always in
the dark even in summer, I just tell it good morning and it
tells me the time, the forecast, turns the lights on that arent
movement activated, and can wake me up and play me the
latest coronacast podcast too.

Old August 2nd 20, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 04:50:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID: