Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Annoying tic-toc clock.

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 03:56:38 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Monday, August 3, 2020 at 9:15:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 03:37:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 1:26:24 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 8/1/20 2:00 PM, Roger Oveur wrote:
On 8/1/2020 1:18 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
I have a Westclox battery powered wall clock with a
7 inch diameter face and it has a very annoying
tic-toc sound that I cannot figure out how to silence.
I tried gluing hardwood blocks to the back and it
helped a little but not enough. I find it hard to fall
asleep because of this. Perhaps filling in the back
with quick crete cement would do it? I suppose the
clock gearbox itself would have to be protected so it could be
replaced sometime in the future. Or maybe just a space to allow
changing the battery.
Any hints?
phil the old hermit

Throw that noisy thing in the trash and buy a radio-controlled WWVB clock.

And I also like a clock that TELLS the time (when I push a large
button), so there's no need to turn on the light at night. The one I got
cost $15 at Radio shack (almost 20 years ago).

I just push the Home button on my phone (which I also use as
an alarm clock) and look.

Cindy Hamilton

That is great if your phone was surgically attached to your hand. I
don't want to have to go try to find my phone to see what time it is.

My charging station is next to the bed. When I'm awake my phone
is always in my pocket.

Right now, though, I can see the clock display on my computer. That's
the case for about half of my waking time.

Cindy Hamilton

I was connected during my whole working life. I had a PT (Blackberry
type device, connected to the IBM data network and anyone in the world
who had PROFs or a PT) in 1985. I carried it everywhere. I had a pager
24/7/365 before that. I don't want to be connected all the time
anymore. I don't need to be able to find out the population of
Aardvark Michigan at a moment's notice and I don't twit every mundane
aspect of my life. I spend too much time on the computer now. I want
to get away from it now and then. I stopped turning on the TV as soon
as I get in the house now too. If someone needs to get in touch with
me, leave a message on my landline machine or send me an Email. I will
see it when I get home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A person at work said something about digging out her phone to see what
time it was. My question was "Why?' She only has three monitors showing
at least three different machines.

A couple of other programmers have even brought in wall clocks.

Back in the day we used little stick on digital clocks. I'd been at a
flea market and bought a wrist watch for $5 that from a distance looked
vaguely like a Rolex. The department head cautioned me about leaving
expensive items laying around.

I stopped wearing a watch in 1972 when my $100 LED watch died. Like
you say, I could walk up to any (360/370) console at work and type "D
T" and get the time. If I wasn't at work, I didn't care what time it
was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 03:58:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 12:34:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 14:10:48 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Some of us have enough of a clue to use the cellphone
for everything now, so its always right next to them.

I have yet to be convinced that is a good thing. You can be too
connected.

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone
mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my
employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings
once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

I had a PT that was on the network via RF and I logged in once a day,
maybe less than that if I never logged it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 00:03:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Aug 2020 03:37:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

[...]

It looked like it would be hard to get real clocks, so a few years ago I
bought 4 Westclox clocks, with snooze alarm and lighted dial, at a
hamfest a few years ago. I've only used 1, but they were only $2 a
piece. I think they were "dumped" because it's very hard to turn the
knob to set the t ime and alarm, but I rarely have to do that.

I just push the Home button on my phone (which I also use as
an alarm clock) and look.

Cindy Hamilton

I just say "hey siri, what time is it?" and if I have my hearing aids
in it tells me in my ears - without it tells everyone around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My phone is either in its holster on my belt or charging on my
bedside table. Occaisionally on charge in the truck and tethered to
the stereo playing tunes - gotta get a holder to keep it from flying
around the cab

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are free to turn on do not disturb any time you like.

I don't need to be able to find out the population
of Aardvark Michigan at a moment's notice

You are free to no do that.

and I don't twit every mundane aspect of my life.

And that.

I spend too much time on the computer now.
I want to get away from it now and then.

You are free to do that any time you like.

I stopped turning on the TV as soon as I get in the house
now too. If someone needs to get in touch with me, leave
a message on my landline machine or send me an Email.

And you have to fart around checking those.

I will see it when I get home.

And when your wife wants to get you to get
something on the way home, you're ****ed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

I start wondering if i'm headed to Bidenland when i catch myself talking
to the damn cat let alone Siri, Alexa, or some other piece of spyware.
At least the cat ain't telling anybody anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 14:23:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to know-it-all Rodent Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 23:39:09 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

I start wondering if i'm headed to Bidenland when i catch myself talking
to the damn cat let alone Siri, Alexa, or some other piece of spyware.
At least the cat ain't telling anybody anything.

I seriously doubt Biden needs to do any of your pathetic senile **** to feel
better about himself! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 4 Aug 2020 03:58:41 -0700 (PDT), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone
mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my
employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings
once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

Smartl phones are really good for depositing checks to the bank. Now I
don't have to be afraid the guard will shoot me by mistake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Everybody's different, and I'm not all that connected even though
I always have my phone with me. I don't even have a landline.

My husband, mother, boss, and dentist have my phone number.
Everybody else can just send me a letter.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone
mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my
employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings
once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

Smartl phones are really good for depositing checks to the bank. Now I
don't have to be afraid the guard will shoot me by mistake.

I rarely get a physical check. When I do, I use the drive-up ATM.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 14:23:20 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

You seem to have all the excuses why you are married to your phone
down pat. I still don't see the need.
If the phone is off, why carry it?

I will see it when I get home.

And when your wife wants to get you to get
something on the way home, you're ****ed.

No she is. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone
mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my
employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings
once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

Smartl phones are really good for depositing checks to the bank. Now I
don't have to be afraid the guard will shoot me by mistake.

You must really have an off brand bank if you don't drive by a branch
every time you are out and the ATM is really easy to use if the Covid
has the lobby closed. I assume if I internet banked I could drop a
check on my scanner and deposit it tho. The reality is I only cash
about a dozen checks a year and most come quarterly (dividends).
Four trips a year to the bank is not a burden
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 14:23:20 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

I'm not married to my phone, I find it convenient, ****wit.

I still don't see the need.

Yep, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

If the phone is off, why carry it?

Never said it was off, ****wit.

I will see it when I get home.

And when your wife wants to get you to get
something on the way home, you're ****ed.

No she is. ;-)

Depends on whether its for you, ****wit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone
mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my
employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings
once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

Smartl phones are really good for depositing checks to the bank. Now I
don't have to be afraid the guard will shoot me by mistake.

You must really have an off brand bank if you
don't drive by a branch every time you are out

Both my main banks are hundreds of miles away
and some don't have any physical branches at all.

and the ATM is really easy to use if the Covid has the lobby closed.

Havent used an ATM in years now. Much more convenient
to use the selfcheckout at the supermarket for the minimal
cash I ever need now. I only use cash at garage/yard sales
now. I pay for everything with the phone that you are stupid
enough to leave at home.

I assume if I internet banked I could drop
a check on my scanner and deposit it tho.

You actually take a photo of it with the phone.

The reality is I only cash about a dozen checks a year

I don't even get one a decade.

and most come quarterly (dividends).

Mine all come electronically, dinosaur.

Four trips a year to the bank is not a burden

Zero is much more convenient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 04:50:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 04:42:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone
mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my
employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings
once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

Smartl phones are really good for depositing checks to the bank. Now I
don't have to be afraid the guard will shoot me by mistake.

You must really have an off brand bank if you don't drive by a branch
every time you are out and the ATM is really easy to use if the Covid

It's only 4 block away but it's much easier and quicker to use the phone
than to do anything at the drive-through or the ATM and I don't like
putting checks in the ATM so I never see them again. With the phone, I
still have the check.

I deposit from 4 to at most 8 checks a year, almost all of them from the
account at the stock broker to my checking account, when the checking
account is getting low.

has the lobby closed. I assume if I internet banked I could drop a
check on my scanner and deposit it tho. The reality is I only cash
about a dozen checks a year and most come quarterly (dividends).
Four trips a year to the bank is not a burden

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

Connected to what? Apart from its use as a timepiece, my phone
mainly services the two-factor authentication required by my
employer's network. I don't use it for e-mail and if it rings
once a week it's a miracle.

Cindy Hamilton

Smartl phones are really good for depositing checks to the bank. Now I
don't have to be afraid the guard will shoot me by mistake.

You must really have an off brand bank if you don't drive by a branch
every time you are out and the ATM is really easy to use if the Covid
has the lobby closed. I assume if I internet banked I could drop a
check on my scanner and deposit it tho. The reality is I only cash
about a dozen checks a year and most come quarterly (dividends).
Four trips a year to the bank is not a burden

Make it real easy for yourself; have your dividends ACH deposited to
your checking account. No more worries about the check getting lost or
stolen in the mail. No misplacing/losing it at home. No more needing
to make a trip to an ATM or the bank. And, you have access to your
money sooner.

Since they might sit in the drawer for a month I doubt I really care
how soon I have access to the money. I don't float with my mouth so
close to being underwater.
I like seeing the checks and sometimes I just give them to my wife.
She likes that.

You folks act like I make a special trip to the ATM, I drive by it 3
or 4 times a week. Most of my dividends go to the brokerage account
but I still have some shares I am holding personally. Those are the
ones I get checks for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 04:42:21 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

You seem to have all the excuses why you
are married to your phone down pat.

I'm not married to my phone, I find it convenient, ****wit.

It sounds like it was surgically implanted in your hand

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 04:50:53 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

You must really have an off brand bank if you
don't drive by a branch every time you are out

Both my main banks are hundreds of miles away
and some don't have any physical branches at all.

Like I said some off brand bank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Still makes more sense to have it show up in the
checking account completely automatically, dinosaur.

Most of my dividends go to the brokerage account
but I still have some shares I am holding personally.
Those are the ones I get checks for.

Still makes more sense to have those show up in the
checking account completely automatically, dinosaur.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You seem to have all the excuses why you
are married to your phone down pat.

I'm not married to my phone, I find it convenient, ****wit.

It sounds like it was surgically implanted in your hand

Then you need a hearing aid, bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You must really have an off brand bank if you
don't drive by a branch every time you are out

Both my main banks are hundreds of miles away
and some don't have any physical branches at all.

Like I said some off brand bank.

Wrong, as always. None of them are off brand banks,
just those with enough of a clue to avoid the stupid
cost of lots of physical branches and actually pay you
to use any ATM in the country.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Annoying Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 04:22:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Marland addressing senile Rodent's tall stories:
"Do you really think people believe your stories you come up with to boost
your self esteem."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 04:25:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 04:23:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 04:22:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Maybe I am not sure where I want it. Like I said, sometime I give them
to my wife.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 04:22:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Trivial to move it once it shows up.

Like I said, sometime I give them to my wife.

Trivial to move it once it shows up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 04:46:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 04:46:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Not really, without writing another check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 09:43:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 7:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 04:46:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

With online banking, I can transfer money from any one
of my bank accounts to any other. Another check is
not required.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 03:34:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 7:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 04:46:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Between banks? We have 5 plus a brokerage account. I can't even move
money from my bank to my brokerage account electronically since Dodd
Frank and they are the essentially same people. DF built a wall
between them. (two web sites that do not talk directly with each
other).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 7:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 04:46:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Our financial situation is much simpler. One bank, one credit union,
a checking and savings account in each. I was planning to close the
bank accounts about the time the lockdown started and just go with
the credit union.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 04:56:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 7:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 04:46:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Between banks?

Yep, any bank account in the country in my case.

We have 5 plus a brokerage account. I can't even move
money from my bank to my brokerage account electronically

Then you need a better bank, stupid.

? since Dodd Frank and they are the essentially same
people. DF built a wall between them. (two web
sites that do not talk directly with each other).

Then you need a better bank, stupid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 7:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 04:46:30 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

"Dodd Frank" is a law limiting... collusion (I guess you could call
it) between banks. Things you can do are probably illegal here.

Cindy Hamilton